Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quite sad about the Amazon.com boycott.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralf the Dog
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Quite sad about the Amazon.com boycott. Reply with quote

I use amazon.com for all of my foreign language purchases. (And when I want to buy The new season of Dr. Who before it is available in the US.)

Unfortunately, because of the Amazon.com cockfighting controversy, I can no longer spend any of my money with them.

Anyone know of a place where I can buy non English books and DVDs online other than Amazon?

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6158256.html?tag=nefd.top
7Harry7Potter7
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try ebay

Coming July 21, 2007!!!!!!!

784 pages
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Quite sad about the Amazon.com boycott. Reply with quote

Ralf the Dog wrote:
I use amazon.com for all of my foreign language purchases. (And when I want to buy The new season of Dr. Who before it is available in the US.)

Unfortunately, because of the Amazon.com cockfighting controversy, I can no longer spend any of my money with them.

Anyone know of a place where I can buy non English books and DVDs online other than Amazon?

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6158256.html?tag=nefd.top

While I am appalled and disgusted by the sport of cockfighting, I fully support Amazon.com in selling the literature regarding it. Amazon is not causing or supporting cockfights by selling this material.

The issue that is really being addressed in this lawsuit goes much deeper than animal rights (which I fully support) It addresses censorship and our right to freedom of information. In my opinion, this is a much larger, much more critical issue.

If the Humane society is successful in shutting down Amazon's ability to provide this information, what other organizations will use this as a prececent to curb our access to information?

Allthough this thread is not a poll, I vote for NOT boycotting Amazon. Don't support the Humane Societie's misguided attempt to protect roosters by curbing our right to freedom of information.
Flautapantera

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luminous.

On a slightly separate but sort of similar vein...I seemingly "boycott" any shampoos, conditioners and other beauty products that have been tested on animals. Perhaps it's my pessimistic mind, but I know my decision not to buy these products isn't going to affect those companies that do test their products on animals; and, similarily, this tarnished spot on Amazon's facade will only affect them (if it does) for so long. I don't believe their sales will dip erratically because of their stance in selling magazines and other literature pertaining to cockfighting. Sure, I disagree wholeheartedly with cockfighting - in my mind, it's as bad as greyhound and horse racing (which are so-called "sports"). But that's beside the point. Bottom line, I don't see this issue affecting Amazon terribly, considering their past reputation as one of the leading distributors of literature/media/etc.

But still, it's your own prerogative. Sure, I'm going to continue avoiding animal-tested products. It all has to do with personal moral stance and integrity.

You know that moment where you just want to grab a pair of scissors and run away with them?
Ralf the Dog
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law suit was a bad idea. The government should not restrict speech accept in a very few circumstances.

That said, I will not spend money with a company that chooses to give these stupid people a voice. The first amendment tells us that the government can not restrict speech, it does not say that we the people must give evil a voice.
fsk282
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with you. while i'm all for free speech and amazon can carry what they want, i will not support them while they so blatently disregard animal rights. if i were you ralf, i would order from barnesandnoble.com. it is only american though, in france i would recommend fnac.com.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

play.com?
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf the Dog wrote:
The law suit was a bad idea. The government should not restrict speech accept in a very few circumstances.

But it's not the government that's trying to restrict Amazon's speech. It's the Humane Society. They want a new interpretation of animal cruelty laws.
EternalGoddess
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/index.aspx

If your looking for things of the asian market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Off the Cuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: