Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Discussion] What Has Happened [Vent Thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
To be fair, I think I remember what post sphinx was refering to... and no I didn't think it was racist but I can see how someone might. I think it's one of those misunderstandings with how people use some expressions, kinda like the hanky-panky thing.

oohhh ok! well then, my previous statement may be semi-ignored then.

Well...lets go back to the no drama rule and I'll continue my campaigne for bunnies.

And as most of you know, I have an obsession with certain bunnies...let me share with you my obsession/career that most of my role models have:

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....color me embarrassed! I really didn't know so many people thought of "hanky-panky" as something sexual. LOL! No wonder sphinx thought that.

Well I assure you, I didn't mean it that way. K?

As for the racist thing? I still have no freaking idea to what you are referring. If somebody was bothered by something I said, and thought it racist, nobody brought it to my attention. And clearly...things can be easily misinterpreted. I told my husband this evening that somebody called me a racist and he laughed his butt off. I may be many things...but a racist isn't one of them.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethy, I can't say I'm completely sure of this, it could have been someone completely different, but for some reason I'm thinking of you, maybe something about that post and the recent one in wich you also talk about your work ethics and standards. Either way I didn't think it was offensive or racist, but whatever. I'm sorry if it wasn't you...

I can't find the post, but I remember the person was talking about her job and getting some vacation time, and the comment was that she couldn't get any vacation, well, because her boss was jewish. I think it was not meant as a negative statement towards jewish people, on the contrary, I read the intention as meaning jewish people demand a lot of themselves and hold others to higher standards. I don't really want to rehash any of that here, as it is clearly off topic and I can see how it could start flames. I thought about PMing you but perhaps some other people needed this clarification. Oh well, if a mod thinks this is inapropriate feel free to delete it.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! That??? Yeah, that was me.

It was a reference to the fact that she gets to take a lot of holidays because she's Jewish. It's a fact. She's Jewish. So what? It's not racial by any means. It's her faith. It's like saying I don't bring Coke to my Mormon friend's dinner parties...because they're all Mormon, they don't drink things with stimulants in them, like caffeine. I totally respect that, and I'm happy to abide their wishes. Much like I'm happy to work my ass off for my boss.

I don't get much time off of work because my boss is always taking it. Sheesh. It's a running joke in my office...and it has nothing to do with race. I adore my boss. I need a new job, but I adore my boss. I mean, if I wanted to tell stereotypical jokes...it would be about her husband...the accountant.

And yeah, we have high ethics standards in my office, but it's nothing to do with race or religion. It's basic human dignity. We work with the elderly and disabled.

If this bothered people so much, somebody should have brought it to me, I don't always see the following posts. I'm sorry if that offended somebody, but I certainly didn't mean it in any way negative or derogatory. I'm not better than she is, nor she better than I. I simply respect her faith and work hard for her...even though I hate my job...I love my boss.

Clearly, people will take things how they want to take them, and you can't always read intention in print. C'est la vie.

Last edited by bethy on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point deagol was trying to make is you can't always discern a persons intent simply by reading a post. People "hear" the words differently in their own heads.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I was saying, too, trainer. Only...with more words. Laughing
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallax
subterfuge
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Uhm, I grew up here Southern California...so I know what it's about. I like diversity...but things are going from diversity to something else. And, yes...over half of LA county's adult population is functionally illiterate. That's an absolute fact. IT came from a study done by the United Way. This is because the diversity is turning into attitudes of entitlesment. The area is fracturing into cultures, and many of the cultures don't value the level of education available to them.

Here: http://www.vdare.com/rubenstein/la_literacy.htm

At any rate...people who have been born and raised here are leaving en mass. That's another fact...and it's because of the cultural entitlement issues. I know what neighborhoods to avoid...not becuase of crime (although there are some places I wouldn't go for that reason) but because I know if s tore with have somebody who speaks English nor not.

Last weekend I really wanted some true Ramen soup. It's LA...you can find anything in LA. BUt, as it turned out, the shopping center I found had signs all in Japanese...I knew I was in trouble...but I went in anyway, hoping the menus would be in English.

No. In fact...I got totally stared at by the patrons and staff when I walked in. I was clearly the only non-Japanese person in the whole place. The menus didn't have a word of English. The waitress had no idea what I meant when..on giving up on the menu...I simply asked for a Miso Ramen with vegetables. She didn't understand...and it took another patron to relay the message for me. I was the one embarassed...even though I really had no reason to be.

I don't mind the cultural diversity...but this is the US...not Japan. A lot of cultures in LA are glomming together rather than assimilating and sharing their culture. There's a big difference.

I can see how this could be construed to be.. well, ethnocentrist, xenophobic, perhaps..
It's definitely not p.c.
But, meh
Just thought I'd throw it in here, since when I first saw this post I cringed. Perhaps, perhaps, it had another meaning. Or perhaps I am reading it wrong.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we just seeing what all we can dig up to start arguments, now? SIGH.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
loobylou
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Kas, there obviously hasn't been enought to fight about lately!

Let's see how this works-

Don;t you all just hate those left handed people?

Wink
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any charges of racism or any other attacks are being dealt with via PM. If you have anything to add to that conversation, please bring it to me or another mod via PM. Any findings of wrongdoing will be dealt with accordingly.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting to be a witch hunt and it's ridiculous.

You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.
Bagged, tagged, sold to the butcher at the store.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright so obviously my scantaly clad woman didn't do anything to stop this insanity..

sooo how about this!

Men if you were THIS flexable...would you really be doing yoga??? if you know what i'm saying! Wink Shocked Laughing

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Some of the other mods and users have decided it might be a good idea to lock some of these threads for now. If you have anything positive to contribute, the "Moving Forward" thread will remain open for now. Thank you for your cooperation Smile

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: