Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some guy who left the mayflower

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: some guy who left the mayflower Reply with quote

Ok, I heard Daniel mention that about Bree's religion. So, I decided to check on the Mayflower angle. I'm more than a little drunk now...but perhaps this is something?

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:GAEFflkq_m8J:www.mayflowerhistory.com/Passengers/RichardMore.php+mayflower+witchcraft&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=18&lr=lang_en

I think something like this could possibly be what they pull from for the story since:

A. Bree said it all started in England - so did the Mayflower
B. Daniel straight up talked about one of the passengers of the Mayflower having something to do with her religion....and he had a lot of adventures. This man is mentioned as:

Richard More had one of the most bizarre and interesting lives of any of the Mayflower passengers. He was baptized in 1614 in Shipton, Shropshire, England, to Katherine More. Researchers have traced Katherine More's ancestry back to royalty, making Richard More and his siblings the only Mayflower passengers to have a documented royal ancestry.

So, we have English royalty setting sail on the Mayflower. He had so many adventures they wrote a book on him....and then we have this from the same site:

Richard More died sometime between 1693 and 1696 at Salem, living just long enough to have witnessed the Salem Witchcraft paranoia of 1692.

Also, it appears he may not have been that upstanding himself:

In 1688, the Salem Church recorded: "Old Captain More having been for many years under suspicion and common fame of lasciviousness, and some degree at least of inconstancy ... but for want of proof we could go no further. He was at last left to himself so far as that he was convicted before justices of peace by three witnesses of gross unchastity with another man's wife and was censured by them."

So, perhaps this is someone they're working into the story?

It appears he wasn't one of the Plymouth Brethren though...so perhaps it's not. But, maybe that's why Bree has the picture of Crowley..because he left the Plymouth Brethren.

I don't know...I'm going to go pass out. I just thought I would share this theory.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on that book name, you'll find out that his friend was executed for witchcraft at Salem too
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think very likely it was simply a play about Crowley, and Daniel misunderstood his having "left the Plymouth Brethren" as being a reference to the Mayflower and Plimoth Colony.
Mathieas
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Thomas Morton Reply with quote

Well, the facts don't exactly match up because Thomas Morton was never on the Mayflower; however he was contemporary with the Pilgrims, so if there was some slight artistic license taken he would be the perfect candidate.
Keevy06
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something? Who is Thomas Morton?
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nora Volkova wrote:
I think very likely it was simply a play about Crowley, and Daniel misunderstood his having "left the Plymouth Brethren" as being a reference to the Mayflower and Plimoth Colony.

Good point...

But, if not, i think I've pegged the guy Razz

Had a friend executed for being a witch at Salem...wasn't exactly an upstanding fellow himself...had a lot of adventures...

I think you could easily work into the story that he himself was a witch.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keevy06 wrote:
Did I miss something? Who is Thomas Morton?

I'm wondering that myself
Mathieas
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Morton was an English lawyer who came to the colonies and is well known for having several adventures with American Indians and for being among the first Europeans to sell them firearms. He is sometimes refered to as the Pagan Pilgrim.

Also, he was the founder of the Merrymount colony, which was accused of pagen and occultic practices and Morton himself was eventually exiled by Miles Standish and men from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieas wrote:
Thomas Morton was an English lawyer who came to the colonies and is well known for having several adventures with American Indians and for being among the first Europeans to sell them firearms. He is sometimes refered to as the Pagan Pilgrim.

Also, he was the founder of the Merrymount colony, which was accused of pagen and occultic practices and Morton himself was eventually exiled by Miles Standish and men from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

Yes...but this is about Richard More...who WAS on the Mayflower
Mathieas
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know that. I thought you were just speculating, since we don't know who Daniel was taking about, about who and what the play was about.

And I'm saying I think Morton is a possible candidate, who fits.
tannhaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieas wrote:

Ahhh ok...you had a couple of us confused here. We weren't sure where Morton came from in this discussion lol. But, i see what you're saying.
Keevy06
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathieas wrote:
Yes, I know that. I thought you were just speculating, since we don't know who Daniel was taking about, about who and what the play was about.

Aahh now it makes sense. I thought that since the names are similar you had read it wrong and were trying to discredit tannhaus's theory about Richard More. I mean you posted "Well, the facts don't exactly match up because Thomas Morton was never on the Mayflower..." just out of the blue.. I think it was just a little confusing. All clear now Very Happy
Mathieas
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see... No, I was just throwing another candidate out there.
JacksAndDouches
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in that case I would like to rule out John Larroquette from Night Court...however this More guy looks like he could be it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: