Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have picked a major that I really love....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Get to Know Each Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is relative, dearies. My point is basically that you need to be an assertive (and Ganerally.. a kick-ass, decisive + determined) bitch to get where you want to get. Be unique....and very aware of what makes you unique. If you have nothing to distinguish yourself from the next guy, you have nothing. There are always great jobs, but few "great" candidates. Trust me. AND, if you take "the" route..that is to say, the obvious route, just be warned that you weren't the first one to have the idea. Scared yet? Yeah well..be afraid.
heyiknowsyou
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robtomorrow wrote:
I wouldn't advise anyone to study fine art as a major, unless you are a rich kid and don't need to make a living after finishing school. My advise would be to learn something you can make a living off of, then if you still have the time and desire to pursue art then do so.

I'm speaking from experience. as long as you are still young it is a fun life style, but being poor gets old after a while. I think statistically about 1 in a 100 BFA recipients ever make a living from art.

That said if you still think you can beat the odds, then study at an institution that will give you the best chance to succeed, that means for the most part either Cal Arts, or RISD. or at least at a major University. Snobbishness is the norm is the art world, and the prestige of the school that you studied at is important. Of course that's where money comes into play again because those schools are very expensive.

My parents can't seem to understand that.

College is eternally frusterating. I'm nearing the end of my sophomore year at a junior college (which means i'm approaching an Associate's). My major is fine art. It is the only thing i can see myself doing--something (ANYTHING) creative.

Before settling for starting off at the J. college, i pretty much had my mind set on one of the Art Institutes, but my parents didn't understand the difference of a BFA there as apposed to a local University. I won't go into details, but, the name of the school matters and i am willing to get into debt so that in the end i can rise a little on the ladder from lower-middle class to higher- (or middle-) middle class.

krmurr87, i totally understand your frusterations, and i think most fine art students eventually come across that feeling. Its like the world is moving around you, you stop, and realize--WTF am i doing?? Why can't i just do what she's doing? A degree in Psychology, or Nursing, or English!

But if you do, you'll feel empty without fulfilling your inner creative person.

i'm going to shut up now.
robtomorrow
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many people who have gotten involved with LG15 have an arts background, either studied or are studing the arts. We should do a poll. Smile
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robtomorrow wrote:
I wonder how many people who have gotten involved with LG15 have an arts background, either studied or are studing the arts. We should do a poll. Smile

We should totally do a poll! I don't necessarily have an arts background, but I'm a journalism student with a focus on electronic media, so...that sorta counts, right?
Sim7lizard
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another poll!!! Rolling Eyes LOL
RoseCrowley
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost done with my BA in psychology, an dI habe no clue what to do with it. I propbably will need to get a masters in something. Scholarships are out there, just gatta hunt them down. I need to start looking...

TTT:Granted, but the fairy takes your credit card instead of leaving money and gets like fifty lap dances w/ it.

Mawhahaha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Get to Know Each Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: