Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Geocache Reply with quote

(*giggles as a few of the op-heads run in fear and frustration*)

'Mute in one of his earlier posts reminded me of my account with Geocache, and made me want to go play around with it some more.
I was curious if anyone else has an account there, and some stories....other then our lovely encounter with them...from the site. I would really appreciate to hear some other's experiences.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my better geocaching stories involves a camping trip, a puppy, and me being an idiot and getting lost in the woods for over five hours Laughing

My wife and I took a camping trip, and knew before hand that there was a geocache hidden about two miles from the campsite. It was a campsite that we used often, and I there was a fire tower nearer the cache that would have lessened my hike to about 1/4 mile had I driven to it first. But my wife had other plans for the day, and I thought the hike would do me good. So off I went, setting the coordinates to my campsite before leaving. About 1 3/4 miles later, I come out of the woods at the fire tower. I take a break and give some water to our pup, which I had brought along on the hike. Then I head down another trail, which leads to the general area of the cache.

Experienced geocachers can see my mistake already, I'm sure Wink

A little into the woods, I decide to let my pup off the leash since it's unlikely we'll encounter anyone else, and the pup is generally well behaved enough to stay close.

This proved to be my second mistake. Even though the pup stayed near, I still wanted to keep an eye on her. And she was running around like mad, which got me twisted to where I couldn't tell which way I had come. Plus tree cover caused intermittent interruptions of signal to my GPSr. So, there I was, in the woods, over two miles from my campsite, with no idea where, exactly, I was.

Five hours later, I gave up on finding the cache (which I promptly found) and set my sites on getting out of the woods. Had I programmed the coordinates to the fire tower, I would have been out of the woods within 10 minutes, with a familiar trail back to camp. Instead, I have to set a route to my campsite, over two miles away, and go in straight line until I find a trail again. The hike was so tough that the pup refused to jump over fallen trees. Every time I came to a log that blocked my path, I had to lift the pup over it before climbing over myself.

Moral of the story? Alway mark known waypoints before going into the woods. And don't trust the friends who hid the cache when they say it's an easy find Laughing

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Off the Cuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: