Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Discussion] - Who is Walter & What is The Cure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janesalteredstates
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pretends to be a Siren calling Walter to Boston*
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janesalteredstates wrote:
*pretends to be a Siren calling Walter to Boston*

I agree, Walter should make a drop in Boston. But hopefully he'll wait until the weather gets warmer first!
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to see the contents of the package (if it ever arrives Twisted Evil ) let me know. I'm in NH Very Happy
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravelerJ19 wrote:
I asked Walter why he gave out his full name online. He said - it's the internet. You can't lie about who you are on the internet.

Anyone else thought that was an odd thing to say? I think most people would say anyone can and does lie about who they are on the internet... on the other hand you have subpoenas and other things that can break through the anonymity curtain of the internet, although I suspect there are places you could use where it would be practically impossible to track you down. Either way, it's an interesting statement from Walter.

Perhaps he was being sarcastic, with the implication that he did lie about who he was? Eh?
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deagol wrote:
TravelerJ19 wrote:
I asked Walter why he gave out his full name online. He said - it's the internet. You can't lie about who you are on the internet.

Anyone else thought that was an odd thing to say? I think most people would say anyone can and does lie about who they are on the internet... on the other hand you have subpoenas and other things that can break through the anonymity curtain of the internet, although I suspect there are places you could use where it would be practically impossible to track you down. Either way, it's an interesting statement from Walter.

Perhaps he was being sarcastic, with the implication that he did lie about who he was? Eh?

I had that thought too. I think that it's obviously sarcastic...whether he's being facetious simply for the sake of making a joke, or for the reason that you suggested has yet to be seen.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
deagol wrote:
TravelerJ19 wrote:

I had that thought too. I think that it's obviously sarcastic...whether he's being facetious simply for the sake of making a joke, or for the reason that you suggested has yet to be seen.

Actually, I took it a different direction. It seems that Walter was actively employed in the science industry (facility J) during the advent of ARPANET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

No doubt, Facility J was a node, and Walter was one of the early users. To have access to ARPANET, the precurser to what we now know as the Internet, was a prestigious privilege that only an elite few had access to. To lie about one's identity while accessing the net was unthinkable in that time. I see Walter as old school - very set in his ways. I can see where concealing his identity on the internet would seem unethical. He might not even think to do it. If he did, it might seem so distasteful to him he wouldn't be able to bring himself to do it.

BTW: Welcome back Deagol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: