Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just terrible
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosquelito wrote:
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Unfortunately, this "law" doesn't respect another person's right to peace and happiness. I can understand how it appeals to the anarchist in us all, but not to the average individual.

I think I prefer the Constitution. Wink
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravensgrace wrote:
bosquelito wrote:
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Unfortunately, this "law" doesn't respect another person's right to peace and happiness. I can understand how it appeals to the anarchist in us all, but not to the average individual.

I think I prefer the Constitution. Wink

Well, but to be fair, no succinct religious slogan is a good guide to the varieties of religious behavior.

But the Constitution does RAWK. Jefferson et al were some smart cookies.

Last edited by Nora Volkova on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravensgrace wrote:
Unfortunately, this "law" doesn't respect another person's right to peace and happiness.

Actually, it does.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
ravensgrace wrote:
Unfortunately, this "law" doesn't respect another person's right to peace and happiness.

Actually, it does.

How?
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) "Will" refers to "thelema" - "true will", the inherent will of the divine within oneself. The vast majority of people are not in contact with their true will. "Will" in Crowley's philosophy is, no quote the omniscient Wikipedia, "at times [...] a person's grand destiny in life and at other times [...] a moment to moment path of action that operates in perfect harmony with Nature". In other words, "Crowley wrote that the Law is not a license to indulge in casual whim or to mindlessly accept cultural mores, but is rather a mandate to discover and manifest one's True Will, which he described as one's inner divine nature, spiritual destiny, or proper course in life." (This is stuff a 30-second spluge into Wikipedia comes up with, much less actually reading and understanding his work)
B) "Love is the law, love under will" (Once again, love refers to agape, as in spiritual love)
C) "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" can be interpreted not a moralistic law but a physical law. It's the underlying message of magical practice. It's another way of saying "nothing is impossible"
D) Even discounting the previous three points, the idea that the inherent will of most people is to endanger the peace and happiness of others is a cynical, misanthropic ethos.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
jagee
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some about Thelema religion and the law and saw reference to parts of the bible that Amish people live by and other Christian religions obey. The Amish tend to take the Bible literaly though. But a lot of the good parts, mostly were quoted as Amish do not believe in violence at all, and will not even defend themselves unless they know for certian they can stop the violence.

(I'm refering to Amish a lot here because I've been looking up their culture to learn more about them, since that terrible school shoot out happen, killing those little girls.) So some that I read on their belief system, I've found when looking up Thelema also. But both, well Thelema more so has mush more to it taken from a bunch of relegions, sects, etc.

I got from it that their belief is to basically to live well, eat well, to have strong mind and body, to respect other's "will"
I can't quote the passages of the bible because I forgot them already. duh. But Revelations and Roman passages were referenced.

Also to respect life in any form, and do not alter it. I don't know how far they take life to be, as in plants, though. How do you eat if you don't alter it, plant it, harvest it, etc. (Amish especially here their lifes depend on dominine over animals and harvesting food, and living small. I basically skimmed a few articles rushing to try to get the gist of it (Thelema) so I would have some understanding of it, before I went to bed.

I have every intention to research more on Crowley and Thelma, etc. Just because.
Withe
Suspiciously Absent

Location: What day is it, again? ...Hey---WHO took my Pop Tart?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people associate Crowley with LaVey... Both were very different people, and they serve as two very different examples of extremes as far as non-Christian practices are concerned.

The same thing goes for Thelema, Satanism, and the Temple of Set.

Three VERY different things.

It is a common misconception, really. When Hollywood shows you one thing, and the Sunday sermon of Hell, Fire, and Brimstone tells you another, one begins to believe that anything different or secular is not only the same, but bad.

In layman's terms: If it's not Christian, it's Satan. And Satan is the enemy.

Believe me, as a child, I grew up in a very strict protestant family and I heard it every day of my life, so I completely understand where a lot of people are coming from in regards to what you were taught vs. growing up and seeking knowledge yourself, and formulating your own opinions about things.

For some, it's just hard to break away from the mindset you were brought up with. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but that explains why Bree feels conflicted in her relationship with Daniel.

From my own past research, (and in my opinion) if anything could be said to compare LaVey and Crowley, it would be that LaVey bastardized and debased the writings of Crowley, contorting them as a foundation for his own doctrine.

Here is a short article giving a brief rundown of the doctrines of Satanism, Temple of Set, and Crowley.

I hope this was helpful in aiding you to reach your own conclusions on the matter, Jagee, Christie, Alimaria (and anyone else who is iffy). Smile
sraosa
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be the only person thinking this everytime I see the word...

Exclamation Lonelygirl37, the Sequel: Thelema and Louise Exclamation

~ Sraosa

Coming soon to a YouTube near you.
actorderick
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the first post.

The main people who watch LG are teenagers.
Teenagers are very impressionable.
They might get curious and want to be expirement with the occult.

Even though all the cult stuff makes the plot more interesting, you already have your core audience. And that is teenagers.

Teenagers would rather watch Bree talk about her life, instead of religen.
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actorderick wrote:
Teenagers are very impressionable.

Someone who obviously never met me as a teenager Twisted Evil

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordgreystoke422 wrote:
What's funny is we have Thelemites bitching their religion is gonna be portrayed as the bad guy...and christians are bitching for it being portrayed at all. Grow the Hell up people and LEARN!.. If you are not weak minded..it Can NOT damage you and gives you knowledge to fight it if indeed it was bad. Learning about something is ALWAYS a plus.

Thank you!! Look, people, you can now get off my ass for saying this exact thing..attack Greystroke. He has guns.
asenath
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised to find out some people didn't know of Aleister Crowley before LonelyGirl15. And no, I'm not a Thelemite. I just always knew who he was...of course, I am an Ozzy fan so maybe that explains it. Confused

Anyway, to the point of this thread...yeah, teenagers are impressionable. But I really don't think this stuff is any more harmful than say, Paris Hilton or MTV. I'd actually rather have my kids (if I had any...) watch this stuff than have anything to do with the former things mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: