Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to, too, your, you're
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flautapantera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread. The examples and jokes pertaining to poor grammar are awesome!

I'm glad to find that I'm not alone in my battle with "your"s and "you're"s.

My name is Flautapantera and I despise the misusage of punctuation and grammar.

You know that moment where you just want to grab a pair of scissors and run away with them?

Last edited by Flautapantera on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
TheFatLady
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote of support for the original post, which said that smart people really ought to use language, uh, smartly. I find it really easy to discount a writer as unintelligent or otherwise ignorable when what he/she says is stated with less than a 12-year-old's level of expertise.

Viva la grammarian!
mousegirl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with this, but I am pretty bad with this.
I don't know when I do this though. They are 100% mistakes, so lets not hate all who make that mistake. Embarassed

Taylor is Love; Sarah is Love; Spencer is Love
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the original poster. I think the idea evinced is simple. Someone posting, "kEwL!", is not expected to have correct style and grammar. However, someone expatiating in their posts about their ideas, in an intelligent manner, should be expected to correct themselves. Otherwise, their point may become diluted, or even obfuscated, by the lack of coherence.

What do I know! I'm only here for the ice cream! Wink

P.S. Jesus loves you! Very Happy
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
Eric
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that pressing the "Preview" button before pressing the "Submit" button is amazingly helpful.

I hate to admit it in a way, but I don't assign nearly as much weight to forum posters that consistently misuse words such as your and you're and there and their. I certainly understand that everyone may have the occasional typo or misspelling, but I unconciously tend to discount a lot of what is said by those that consistently make blatant grammatical and spelling errors. It says to me that they either don't care that much about what they're saying or don't know any better.

It's not just what you say but how you say it.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this thread lately because I was not aware, until I started posting here, that I was so damn ignant when it comes to writing. I have a select group of words that I cannot spell. (like cannot, is that how you spell that?) Also, I both write and type "or" instead of "of" all the time. I don't know how to spell many of the words I would use in a conversation. I am, frankly, amazed that I wrote college papers not so long ago that didn't have red pen marks all over them when they were handed back to me. I think I need to go back to elementary (I don't know if I even spelled that word the right way) school level english class. That being said, I still think other people are stupid when they make errors I would not make. See...my errors are fine. Yours are ignant.

Also, I think they should still teach Latin in schools. When I am familiar with certain latin prefixes and such, I spell more better..maybe even the the bestest I ever did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: