Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proving Science Wrong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skellykat
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Proving Science Wrong Reply with quote

I couldn't help but wonder if there was a connection between the 'Proving Science Wrong' series and Bree's religion. I did a bit of investigating, and I came up with a theory.

L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, was not one of Crowley's favorite people, it turns out.

Hubbard was connected to John W. Parsons, who headed Crowley's Ordo Templi Orientis chapter in L.A.. He was an active member in this group for several months, and first met his second wife there. In a recorded lecture in 1952, Hubbard discussed occult magic of the middle ages, and recommended a book - "it's fascinating work in itself, and that's work written by Aleister Crowley, the late Aleister Crowley, my very good friend."

On wikipedia, the following information is contained in the profile on Hubbard:

The Church insists Hubbard was a US government intelligence agent on a mission to end Parsons' magickal activities and to "rescue" a girl Parsons was "using" for magickal purposes. Critics dismiss these claims as after-the-fact rationalizations. Crowley recorded in his notes that he considered Hubbard a "stupid lout" who made off with Parsons' money and girlfriend in an "ordinary confidence trick".[1]

So from what I've gathered, it sounds like Thelemites would naturally have a bit of an inherent vendetta against Scientologists; henceforth, the motive behind 'Proving Science Wrong'.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by skellykat on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
solasura
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was also a theory where it assumes that bree's dad works as a scientist due to his "white lab coat".

and given bree's restrained life, she could be rebelling against what her dad does for a living, i.e. science, and starts her own "proving science wrong" almost as if she's "proving dad wrong".
skellykat
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking he is likely a doctor, since Bree seems to be getting iron injections on the weekends. Not too many doctor's offices open on the weekends... and iron injections aren't something you can buy on the shelf at your local pharmacy or anything...
ViolinAddict
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you were a doctor's office, would you give a random very healthy girl injections of iron? If the girl's parents said to me... "Oh, it's because we're going to sacrifice her blood. You understand." I don't think that'd fly.

I'm guessing that these injections aren't done at a doctor's office.
allixpeeke
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on her Proving Science Wrong segments isn't that the character actually rejects science in any real sense, and that she knows her arguments have holes in them. Take for instance the Poor Pluto edition. Her entire first half of the video was evidently tongue-in-cheek, as it personified Pluto as a "lonely teen"; and the second half noted that she had a strong interest in astronomy (in particularly stars), which is an accepted science. Her earlier Proving Science Wrong segments were equally silly and fun as the first half of the Poor Pluto edition.

So, she has her religion, which she believes in, and she has science she clearly also adores.

Yours,
Alex Peak
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
skellykat
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points!

I agree unwarranted iron shots by a regular doctor is not a likely scenerio. Further pointing to the possibility that her dad is the doctor, and 'knows what he's doing', so to speak.

I like your take Alex, perhaps I'm reading into it too much. Perhaps it isn't all that important and there is no association with her love for science and her steadfast faith in her religion.

But I still can't help but think there is some kind of connection...

I'm sure more will be revealed. Smile

Anyone else have any Proving Science Wrong theories?
nosuperstitions
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think allixpeeke is right on track. They are obviously portraying her as someone with a deep appreciation of science. A great example of this is how she tells two stories in the episode titled "Daniel Returns, and More Interesting Factoids (Yay!)" one story is from Stephen Hawking and the other is from Richard Feynman. Most 16 year old girls wouldn't even know who they are. She even refers to the Feynman book as "One of her favorites" then goes on to categorize him as "One of the smartest physicists ever" adding "he's really smart, like Einstein smart, like Newton smart, like professor calculus smart!"

Her "Proving Science Wrong" series is obviously tongue in cheek humor. The fact that she chooses science as the focal point for her humor only strengthens the impression that she is very interested in it.

I believe at they might use this fact later in the series as a catalyst for her to begin to pull away from her religion/parents. That is just a guess but I can't help but believe that her passion for science will play a role in her future actions and decisions.
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellykat wrote:
Great points!

I agree unwarranted iron shots by a regular doctor is not a likely scenerio.

Iron pills, not a shot. The shot was a separate incident, and we have no hints of what it might have contained. My theory is that it was a blood sample, which would explain why she was taking iron pills.
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
nosuperstitions
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: shot or blood sample...? Reply with quote

Blood samples are not taken from deltoid muscle area. Blood is usually taken from the inside bend at the elbow. The spot where she had tape and gauze on her arm would indicate an injection of some sort.
jankvb
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if somebody brought it up alreadym, but maybe this will help us:

Quote:
We do not ask the students to believe in a particular dogma. Why believe when you could know? That is why it is said that the intimate Self-realization of the Being is our goal, but science is our method. We must be critical, attentive and determined if we are to reach such a lofty goal.

this is from www.gnosticteachings.org
http://www.gnosticteachings.org/the-teachings-of-gnosis/introductory-information/gnosis-the-science-of-mysticism.html

maybe the focus really is to much on crowleys thelma religion:

a wikipedia articel on the "thelema press" states:

Quote:
While many contemporary movements associate this term exculsively with Aleister Crowley, the use of the term Thelema is actually derived from the Lord's Prayer (Pater Noster): "Thy will (Θελημα) be done, on earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10).

"Thelema" is the motto of the Gnostic Movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema_Press[/quote]
John Bull
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Proving Science Wrong Reply with quote

skellykat wrote:
So from what I've gathered, it sounds like Thelemites would naturally have a bit of an inherent vendetta against Scientologists; henceforth, the motive behind 'Proving Science Wrong'.

What does everyone else think?

I think that Scientology has absolutely nothing to do with science other than sharing the same first five characters. The only thing scientific about Scientology is that it is pure science fiction. Hardly enough of a link to launch the Thelemites on an anti-science jihad.
honkey
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be intrigued about the innocence in which bree's charector is betrayed and outward devient sex practices crowley used in his religion. The writers seem to want to seperate themselvs from the Cassie story due to it's dark overtones. Yet, Crowley, sex and virgins are about as dark as it gets.
Traegorn
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a faith has a relaxed or open morality regarding sex doesn't mean that a person wants to, or is drawn to it.

Just because your faith says it's okay or permissible to do something, doesn't make you want to do it.

It always drives me nuts when people make that assumption, y'know?
GimmeYourForever
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think sex is as "dark as it gets" well then i'm glad i don't sleep with you lol.

i have to give props to traegorn. i actually think that suppressing sex and supressing open discussion about it makes a person more drawn to it because they will be more curious.
honkey
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traegorn wrote:
Just because a faith has a relaxed or open morality regarding sex doesn't mean that a person wants to, or is drawn to it.

Just because your faith says it's okay or permissible to do something, doesn't make you want to do it.

It always drives me nuts when people make that assumption, y'know?

summoning demonic spirits through sex rituals isnt what i call "relaxed". To be permissible is one thing, totally throw out all morality is another. And yes, Crowley's teaching was to void ones self of all aspects of morality. LoL, he was a true demonic worshiper. A documentary is out on youtube, id suggest you not waste your time (as i already have) but if it interests you, check it out. He's pure evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: