Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gnostic Mass- look familiar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
house
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Gnostic Mass- look familiar? Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gnostic_Mass

Someone mentioned this WAAAAAY back before the fake ceremony.

Here are some snippets:
"The congregation enters the temple, the Deacon presents the Law of Thelema, and the Gnostic Creed is recited. The Priestess and the Children enter from a side room. The Priestess raises the Priest from his Tomb."

"The Virgin then enters with the two Children, and greets the People. She dances in a serpentine manner around the Altar of Incense and the Font (symbolizing the unwinding of the Kundalini Serpent which is twined around the base of the spine) before stopping at the Tomb. She tears down the veil with her Sword, and raises the Priest to life by the power of Iron, the Sun, and the Lord. He is lustrated and consecrated with the four elements (water and earth, fire and air), and then envested with his scarlet Robe and crowned with the golden Uraeus serpent of wisdom. Finally, she gently strokes his Lance eleven times, invoking the Lord."
modelmotion
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: jonas is evil Reply with quote

Yea we talked about that at the time, but thanks for bringing it up again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Farva
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"gently strokes his lance" indeed...

So see, none of this would have happened if Bree and Daniel had just hooked up!
nowherepixie
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*also thought that* Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't. i've been a child in a gnostic mass, and mostly you hand things to the priestess. there's also no enochian involved in the ritual - some greek, but mostly english. it's not the gnostic mass - i think it's been covered that it is a real ceremony performed by a real spiritual order.
MCH/TA,X ++ CO1,PEG/SG,W+,N++, Dd+, Dr+, A, a+, C++, G++, QH+++,666+++, Y+++
------END MAGIC CODE BLOCK------
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sororyzbl wrote:
...i think it's been covered that it is a real ceremony performed by a real spiritual order.

I'm guessing you meant to say, it isn't, right?
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think she meant that it is.

Thelema comprises an actual set of beliefs which is still practiced around the world. The Gnostic Mass is a ritual celebrating those beliefs.

The HoO is not Thelema, or at least it shouldn't be painted exactly like Thelema, though the two are clearly related. HoO seems more like a fringe group which has bastardized the philosophy to serve the needs of the Order.

Savvy?
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Pretty Tolerant Reply with quote

garnet wrote:

Thelema comprises an actual set of beliefs which is still practiced around the world. The Gnostic Mass is a ritual celebrating those beliefs.

The HoO is not Thelema, or at least it shouldn't be painted exactly like Thelema, though the two are clearly related. HoO seems more like a fringe group which has bastardized the philosophy to serve the needs of the Order.

Savvy?

I think that's a really good way of putting it. There was a Thelemite on the board for a while who was pretty upset that the creators were making up a corrupt religion based on his faith...but yeesh...how many times have people bastadized the philosophy of all sorts of world religions just to gain control? I think most of us are smart enough to assume that what we're seeing is some kind of representation of Thelema gone horribly wrong, not an accurate representation of gnostic beliefs and practices. The kind of people who sit around mocking others' faiths are usually not the kind of people who watch LG15. I think we're a pretty clever and religiously tolerant bunch.
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pretty Tolerant Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
garnet wrote:

Savvy?

I think that's a really good way of putting it. There was a Thelemite on the board for a while who was pretty upset that the creators were making up a corrupt religion based on his faith...but yeesh...how many times have people bastadized the philosophy of all sorts of world religions just to gain control? I think most of us are smart enough to assume that what we're seeing is some kind of representation of Thelema gone horribly wrong, not an accurate representation of gnostic beliefs and practices. The kind of people who sit around mocking others' faiths are usually not the kind of people who watch LG15. I think we're a pretty clever and religiously tolerant bunch.

that would be tannhaus. Smile he's in the OTO, like myself, except he's in New Orleans while I'm in NYC. I've been a Thelemite for a long time, and I can see how it could get corrupted pretty easily. Luckily most Thelemites I know are either too selfish to care about other people's definition of true will, or not charismatic enough to start their own cult. Of course, L Ron Hubbard used to pal around with a few Thelemites, so it *could* happen.
maxomai
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sororyzbl wrote:
i didn't. i've been a child in a gnostic mass, and mostly you hand things to the priestess. there's also no enochian involved in the ritual - some greek, but mostly english. it's not the gnostic mass - i think it's been covered that it is a real ceremony performed by a real spiritual order.

And hands things to the priest. And does various chores for setup and tear down.

But no, no singing. Unless Sabazius is doing mass. Then we sing.
N+++ Dsr A+ a+ C G+++ QH+++
666++++ Y+
sororyzbl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxomai wrote:
sororyzbl wrote:

And hands things to the priest. And does various chores for setup and tear down.

But no, no singing. Unless Sabazius is doing mass. Then we sing.

oh crap, I'm childing at the mass tomorrow. Bastards better not make me work.

Oh, and I thought I'd mention- in case anyone in Long Island or the NYC area is interested in knowing what the Gnostic Mass is, we are holding an open mass tomorrow afternoon in Farmingdale. I'm childing, as I said earlier. Here are the details:

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Long Island Open Circle is pleased to announce a very special event
in cooperation with Tahuti Lodge OTO Officers and members of Tahuti Lodge will present an open Gnostic Mass on Sunday, June 3rd, at the Enlightenment Wellness Center in Farmingdale.

The ritual will be followed by an introductory talk on the OTO and
on the magickal/spiritual path of Thelema.

A $5 donation to cover the cost of the meeting space is requested.

This a rare opportunity to attend a Gnostic Mass on Long Island.
Please forward this notice to any interested people or groups that you know. Hope to see lots of you there -- and bring your friends too!

Directions to the Wellness Center:

From the South Shore of LI: Take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 32N, Route 110 North. From 110, turn right onto Route 109 East. The Center will be on your right.

From the North Shore of LI: Take your best route to Route 110 South. From 110, take the ramp onto Route 109 East, and the Center will be on your right.

From NYC: Take the I-495 Long Island Expressway East. Merge onto the Northern State Parkway East via Exit 42. (Or take the Grand Central Parkway, which becomes the Northern State.) Merge onto NY-135 South, the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway, via Exit 36A. Merge onto NY-24 East, Hempstead Turnpike, via Exit 7E. Bear right onto NY-109 East, Fulton Street. Follow NY-109 East for about 2 1/2 miles; the Wellness Center will be on your right.

(Helpful landmark: there's a Wendy's on the right about half a mile
before the Wellness Center. If you come to the Southern State Parkway entrance, you've gone too far.)

Please direct questions and RSVPs to info@liopencircle.org -- info
(at) liopencircle.org.

Love is the law, love under will.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, if there was more notice, I would love to attend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: