Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racial Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capgun
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know man, I'm with wisi girl.

It's not in that little quote vortex there, but the first comments toward the picture were something along the lines of "oh look he's taking a siesta"...just the siesta image is a stereotype to begin with?

I wouldn't say whoever it is making cucaracha jokes (shaneener?) is intentionally racist, but rather uneducated. Didn't I read somewhere that you're 12, shaneener? It'd be a good idea to at least keep jokes like that outside the public arena.
Wisi Girl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BethB wrote:
Wisi Girl wrote:
Shaneener wrote:
Samara wrote:
Quote:
but with all those other jackholes in the area, I don't know if she made it or not.

Like the guy sleeping there?

I really like that guy.

Can't you picture him?

GUY: -sings to self- La cocaracha! La cocaracha! Na na na na na na na! And a burrito! With some nachos! And taquitos la la la! Hey, someone's screaming. I wonder... OMIGOSH, a NICKEL!

That was the most racist comment I have ever seen in these threads! Congratulations. I have only read the first three pages, and, as soon as I came across this comment, I had to reply. I will continue to read the rest of the thread for further insight from my fellow fans whose comments are actually worth consideration.

This was truly offensive on so many levels. I am so pissed off right now that I can't even type exactly what I want to tell you. I just can't. Maybe I will PM you later when I collect my thoughts and find exactly how to tell you that you should be heartedly ashamed of yourself for posting such a comment! Even if I wasn't Mexican, I would be completely disgusted right now. I don't know who you are or what your life is like but I am beginning to come to some conclusions just by reading this comment. However, unlike you, I do not generalize nor do I assume things about individuals. So, as much as I want to throw you a lengthy explosion of rage in this reply....I will refrain from that. I don't know how someone can explain away what you posted but I....I won't attack you. I really want to. Maybe later. Who knows? Just realize the scope of your ignorance and bigotry.

And this is why everything has to be so politically correct these days.....it makes me sick!

I am sooooo outraged that you took offense to this! I could understand if this person said all Mexican people do is sit around and eat burritos and nachos but he/she didn't. It was not attacking in any manner. It was an innocent comment! Take it that way and quit being so sensitive and over dramatic.

Certainly you are entitled to your feelings as I am to mine. I am so damn tired of people being afraid to speak their minds because someone is going to be offended.

And that part about you not generalizing and making assumptions is complete bullshit. EVERYONE does, it's basic human nature.

Whatever. As you said, your feelings are yours. I am not contributing to the general fear and excess of nervous apologies that are currently found in these threads. If you believe fans should "speak their minds" and be permitted to slander other groups of people, then perhaps we all need to evaluate what level of freedom of speech is accepted within this site. If the fan had posted an outrageous opinion concerning this series, and I were to reply and attack them, then you have every right to wiggle into our conflict and tell me that you are outraged by people who make others feel afraid to express their feelings. However, since this is not the case, you are definitely out of line! I happen to know the exact frustration you feel! I have personally been harrassed by fellow fans for no substantial reason at all! Their different opinion about the series gave them license to treat me in an arbitrary and callous manner. A number of fans have cruelly singled me out because of my opinions about this series. THAT IS NOT ALLOWING A FAN TO SPEAK THEIR MINDS!

Yes, we are all guilty of over-generalizing at some point in our lifetimes but some are better at it than others. I am completely disgusted by such an attitude and I would like to believe that I am more open minded than those who feel it is fine to post such comments!

Last edited by Wisi Girl on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisi Girl wrote:

It could be anyone from Latin descent. Where are they anyways? Am I the only one in this thread? Seriously, I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone! The fan never said the race of who she/he was belittling but it was clearly a racist joke.

There are several Hispanics on this board, and I know one for sure has read that. Like I said... I am very defensive when it comes to true racism since my daughter is half Hispanic. Trust me... if I felt like someone was saying something derogative about Hispanics, which would in turn be about my daughter, I would be all over it!

Wisi Girl wrote:

So, what does consititute as a racist slander because I would like to know! She was the one who assumed a person's race and not me! Her word choice and the wonderful joke at the end about the nickle....And you gathered she was talking about a wild nieghborhood party? WHAT?!
I don't even have to be drunk or stoned to get excited about finding a nickel on the ground sometimes! You are definitely reading too much into all this. It WAS NOT racist! He did not assume the guy was Hispanic. He didn't title it "Hispanic man laying on the ground singing...". Why would it have to be Hispanic to sing La Cucharacha? American's never sing that song? To my knowledge... most American's know that song. I believe I learned it when I was still in grade school. We all know what nachos and tacos are... they sell taquitos at Wal-Mart... they go with the the Spanish song theme... but still DOES NOT HAVE TO BE HISPANIC to say or sing it!

Wisi Girl wrote:

Plus, I directed my reply directly at the fan and not at you two. It was specifically for that person. It really doesn't involve any of you. Yes, I should have taken it to a PM instead. I realized that while I was typing my comments. And I believe that I mentioned that I wouldn't go any further within the thread with this fan until I was a bit more constructive with my rage. Really, you are the ones taking it further. AND IT DIDN'T EVEN INVOLVE ANY OF YOU!

You involve everyone when you post in a public forum. That is why they are called public. Private messages are for messages directed towards a certain person that you do not want others involved in. Wow! Imagine that! You said you already realized this while you were typing it out. Perhaps you should have copied and pasted your response into a PM before hitting send. Or immediately after copying it and hitting delete if you realized it after you hit send. You cannot post in a public forum and then tell everyone, "That post did not involve you". It did. [/i]

Edit to ask... are the quotes showing up weird to anyone else? There have been several tonight that were all out of twack, but when I quote someone else's, or try to edit mind, they all look right...

You other girls better back it up! He is mine! Just ask him!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samara
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AND IT DIDN'T EVEN INVOLVE ANY OF YOU!

You posted it publicly, therefore it involved anyone who read it. Many people might choose to ignore it or not respond, but I chose to respond, just as a few others have. I stand by my assertions. I saw nothing particularly racist in the remark. There was no mention of being Mexican or any other heritage until you brought it up.

YOU were the one who made the racist connection.

The funny thing about racism is that is often perpetuated by the people who see themselves as victims. They look for racism where it may not exist, which has the "boy who cried wolf" effect. If I got offended at every comment or statement I heard that belittled fat people, or left-handed people, or people with glasses or any number of other things...I'd be one miserable person. Somebody here in the forums once said that you allow yourself to be offended. I loved that. It's very much along the lines of "sticks and stones" you know?

The words were not inherently racist. You simply interpreted them as such. I don't know the intent of the original poster, but I don't really care. I took it as funny and I never once thought of race.
Wisi Girl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joygasm wrote:
Wisi Girl wrote:

Plus, I directed my reply directly at the fan and not at you two. It was specifically for that person. It really doesn't involve any of you. Yes, I should have taken it to a PM instead. I realized that while I was typing my comments. And I believe that I mentioned that I wouldn't go any further within the thread with this fan until I was a bit more constructive with my rage. Really, you are the ones taking it further. AND IT DIDN'T EVEN INVOLVE ANY OF YOU!
You involve everyone when you post in a public forum. That is why they are called public. Private messages are for messages directed towards a certain person that you do not want others involved in. Wow! Imagine that! You said you already realized this while you were typing it out. Perhaps you should have copied and pasted your response into a PM before hitting send. Or immediately after copying it and hitting delete if you realized it after you hit send. You cannot post in a public forum and then tell everyone, "That post did not involve you". It did. [/i]

First of all, I knew your child was at least a bit Latina. Your ealier avatar was of just her. And she is beautiful.

Secondly, sympathy and understanding through personal experience are two different things. You may sympathize because you feel apart of such a group because of your daughter. However, you did not grow up with the same comments about burritos and penny pinching like I did. I know a racist joke when I read one.

Finally, the Latin culture has enveloped this nation. That does not make their culture any less....LATIN! America, such as the Wal-Mart chain, has intergrated the food and the music but it doesn't suddenly make the fan's comments about a general, unidentifiable but more American-ish persona instead of what he/she may have unknowingly referred to: the sick stereotype that I mentioned above. The one that ignorant fools still label my family and friends. Sorry but I am allowed to be somewhat passionate about this. This is apart of who I am.
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisi Girl wrote:

Yes, we are all guilty of over-generalizing at some point in our lifetimes but some are better at it than others. I am completely disgusted by such an attitude and I would like to believe that I am more open minded than those who feel it is fine to post such comments!

If you believe everything here is a personal attack on you, you are not as open minded as you would like to think. The world does not revolve around you. The comment that started this was not about you. The simple fact that you went off on the tangent of how you have been personally attacked so many times, shows that you do not realize that some things are general and not all about you. If someone knocks down an idea, it is just that, the idea they are knocking down.. they are not personally attacking you. This does not mean you are losing your right to free speech. If that were the case, you would be kicked off the board, because your views do not coincide with our views. We have all had our ideas shot down. It happens in an community like this. There is no reason to take things personally here...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wisi Girl
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samara wrote:
Quote:
AND IT DIDN'T EVEN INVOLVE ANY OF YOU!

You posted it publicly, therefore it involved anyone who read it. Many people might choose to ignore it or not respond, but I chose to respond, just as a few others have. I stand by my assertions. I saw nothing particularly racist in the remark. There was no mention of being Mexican or any other heritage until you brought it up.

YOU were the one who made the racist connection.

The funny thing about racism is that is often perpetuated by the people who see themselves as victims. They look for racism where it may not exist, which has the "boy who cried wolf" effect. If I got offended at every comment or statement I heard that belittled fat people, or left-handed people, or people with glasses or any number of other things...I'd be one miserable person. Somebody here in the forums once said that you allow yourself to be offended. I loved that. It's very much along the lines of "sticks and stones" you know?

The words were not inherently racist. You simply interpreted them as such. I don't know the intent of the original poster, but I don't really care. I took it as funny and I never once thought of race.

First of all, this part is for Joygasm:

I meant to comment also on your opinion that this fan has also voiced through their comments above. I sort of forgot to once I had begun my response to you, though.

Anyways, this is for the both of you:

Yes, you are right. I have nothing to say to that. I made it public. What are the rules in this situation? Must I draw blood now? You are correct. I should have hit delete, or copied and pasted to a PM or something. Sorry.

Am I the only one who has made something between one or two other fans public? Is Lurker not overtly flirting via the internet in this thread? Is there not any sexual playfulness going on between two fans that is VERY public for the rest of us? (No offense Lurker. I really like you. I hope you like me, too. This isn't about you.) Well, I can only apologize. PMS are now my best friends. Glad everyone else is living by the same rules, too.

Not for you Joygasm....Samara? Um, I am not a victim. I am proud to be who I am. Please don't tell me who I am. I am not a penny pincher either. I am sorry but we are just going to disagree. The fan was, in fact, making this generalization and I do not appreciate it.

FINALLY, FOR EVERYONE. I APOLOGIZE. THIS BECAME RATHER HUGE. I DIDN'T EXPECT SO MANY TO RESPOND. I DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND ANY OF YOU AND NOW I SEE THAT I HAVE. IT WASN'T ABOUT YOU. SO, PLEASE DROP IT AND I WILL, TOO. IF THE FAN RESPONDS, I WILL TAKE IT TO A PM. ENOUGH, OKAY? I BELIEVE WE ALL HAVE ASSERTED OUR POINTS OF VIEW.
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisi Girl wrote:

First of all, I knew your child was at least a bit Latina. Your ealier avatar was of just her. And she is beautiful.

Secondly, sympathy and understanding through personal experience are two different things. You may sympathize because you feel apart of such a group because of your daughter. However, you did not grow up with the same comments about burritos and penny pinching like I did. I know a racist joke when I read one.

First of all, Thank you very much!

Secondly, you should know a persons background before you make assumptions. I may not have grown up with the same comments as you, but I was a minority, none the less. I grew up dealing with it too. I still think you are taking something person that you shouldn't. I don't think he was trying to knock down Hispanics in any way. There are certain stereotypes in every culture. Many jokes are about the stereotypes, not the people.

MintyBeast
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys, this is the same crazy stuff as yesterday.

What I have learned from the past is to just ignore Wisi Girl. It seems like she is always trying to start something on the board.

I hope this can not turn into countless pages as yesterdays issue did.
&
Sarah Fan Club
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: