Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Taylor do you like better?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Taylor do you like better?
1) Tomboy soccerstar
48%
 48%  [ 13 ]
2) Teen dominatrix hacker
51%
 51%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 27

immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Which Taylor do you like better? Reply with quote

Talk about bait and switch!
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would have just started Taylor's character as smart girl with crazy hacker skills. All that soccer mess makes nerdy Taylor seem fake. I don't think I'm making sense.
Inigo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like schoolgirl Taylor.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consideration wrote:
I wish they would have just started Taylor's character as smart girl with crazy hacker skills.

I agree - these are the characteristics that are making Taylor grow on me. I didn't like soccerstar Taylor at all, and I like dominatrix Taylor even less, but I absolutely adore smart, savvy, hacker spygirl Taylor.

I hope this is the track they settle into with this character - there's alot of potential here.
Laurin_B
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there no option for neither? I'm def not a fan right now.
bebo.com/LaurinB myspace.com/laurin_b
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
consideration wrote:
I wish they would have just started Taylor's character as smart girl with crazy hacker skills.

I agree - these are the characteristics that are making Taylor grow on me. I didn't like soccerstar Taylor at all, and I like dominatrix Taylor even less, but I absolutely adore smart, savvy, hacker spygirl Taylor.

I hope this is the track they settle into with this character - there's alot of potential here.

I agree- how cool would it have been if her screenname was Chixor
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:

I agree- how cool would it have been if her screenname was Chixor

I appreciate your intent here, immortal1, but actually not so much. Chixor is a subtly derrogatory term.

Wikipedia wrote:
The term chixor has arisen over the last decade or so as another social recognition for individuals who excel in their chosen field. Due to the overwhelming number of males in the computing industry, its become valuable to acknowledge when a technical expert is in fact female. Hence the distinct term chixor evolved, not carrying the same level of solemn respect as hacker but none the less is seen as more than your average female geek.

In other words - Not as good as a man, but better than your average female geek. So what do we call a female technical expert that will carry the same level of solemn respect as a hacker?

Wikipedia wrote:
Despite its close ties to the geek community, the term chixor has also been used to refer to all females or slang for 'chick'.

Urban Dictionary wrote:
chick
Chick is originally an abbreviation of chicken. Since a time long forgotten it has been used in a metaphorical way referring to women, primarily due to their genetically caused affinity to an hyperactive flow of talk, as well as other strong likenesses:
-they are easy to excite
-usually turn up in masses and seldom are seen alone
-they get drunk easily
-their meaning of life is to eat and be eaten (out).

or this definition:

chick
The nicest way to refer to any female. Used respectfully like this in Australia. A completely non-derrogatory comment, that in general is non-offensive to women and better than most alternative's.

Such as "b*tch".

I think I'd like to see Taylor be called "HackerStar", thanks. Very Happy
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
I appreciate your intent here, immortal1, but actually not so much. Chixor is a subtly derrogatory term.

My intent certainly was not to disrepect. However, I feel it's a poorly written article for suggesting that because I don't see that in the practical everyday use of the term. I think if you look at the rest of the article the term certainly could apply to Taylor in a way that suggests more than the generic hacker.

Wikipedia wrote:
The term chixor has arisen over the last decade or so as another social recognition for individuals who excel in their chosen field. Due to the overwhelming number of males in the computing industry, its become valuable to acknowledge when a technical expert is in fact female. Hence the distinct term chixor evolved, not carrying the same level of solemn respect as hacker but none the less is seen as more than your average female geek.

The next section goes on to say:

Wikipedia wrote:
To call a woman 'chixor' is to express admiration or respect for their technical knowledge in their field of computing. Some woman may take offense to this label as it implies a level of geekiness and obsessiveness that is considered unattractive for a female to partake in. Others wear the title with pride, seeing it rather as appreciation and acknowledgement for their skills.

A chixor is a female who actively pursues some field of computing whether it be hardware or software. This may be on a professional level or as a hobby, but the pursuit for perfection or drive for knowledge is the dominant element in a chixor's life.

It also says:

Wikipedia wrote:
It isn't enough to say that a female who simply buys the latest mobile phone or browses You Tube is a chixor. This term rather refers to a female who builds mobile phones, writes the software to run her own youtube, or manages her own databases and servers. As a chixor is socially recognized in the geek community as an above average female geek, there is a level of expected technical competence that comes with the title.

There is clearly more positive associated with the term than negative. I personlly don't know that hacker even still applies to both males and females anymore. I think hacker/chixor is meant to be used more along the lines of comedian/comedienne. I mean anyone can call themselves a hacker, it's a description not a status. Your reputation is what gives you status.

I just wanted to clear up that I wasn't suggesting that Taylor was some kind of inferior hacker because she was female.
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:

My intent certainly was not to disrepect. However, I feel it's a poorly written article for suggesting that because I don't see that in the practical everyday use of the term.

I know you intended no disrespect, however maybe the reason you don't see chixor as a deragatory term is because you have never been the underdog female in a male dominated profession, and been on the receiving end of that term.

Wikipedia wrote:
The term chixor has arisen over the last decade or so as another social recognition for individuals who excel in their chosen field.

I think the term individuals really means women. You will never see a man referred to as a chixor.

Wikipedia wrote:

Due to the overwhelming number of males in the computing industry, its become valuable to acknowledge when a technical expert is in fact female. Hence the distinct term chixor evolved, not carrying the same level of solemn respect as hacker but none the less is seen as more than your average female geek.

The next section goes on to say:

Wikipedia wrote:
To call a woman 'chixor' is to express admiration or respect for their technical knowledge in their field of computing. Some woman may take offense to this label as it implies a level of geekiness and obsessiveness that is considered unattractive for a female to partake in. Others wear the title with pride, seeing it rather as appreciation and acknowledgement for their skills.

Actually, I think that is a poor interpretation of why women take offense to the word. We take offense to it because it lowers us, and gives us less respect than we would get if we were simply called hackers, instead of the genderized chixor.

Wikipedia wrote:

A chixor is a female who actively pursues some field of computing whether it be hardware or software. This may be on a professional level or as a hobby, but the pursuit for perfection or drive for knowledge is the dominant element in a chixor's life.

This is because we have to be twice as good to get half the pay and a quarter of the respect.

Wikipedia wrote:
It isn't enough to say that a female who simply buys the latest mobile phone or browses You Tube is a chixor. This term rather refers to a female who builds mobile phones, writes the software to run her own youtube, or manages her own databases and servers. As a chixor is socially recognized in the geek community as an above average female geek, there is a level of expected technical competence that comes with the title.

Again, why the genderized chixor - why not just hacker?

immortal1 wrote:

There is clearly more positive associated with the term than negative. I personlly don't know that hacker even still applies to both males and females anymore. I think hacker/chixor is meant to be used more along the lines of comedian/comedienne. I mean anyone can call themselves a hacker, it's a description not a status. Your reputation is what gives you status.

Females who act are no longer known as actresses - they are actors. Female comedian's are no longer known as comedienne's. In so many fields we are making forward progress building equitablility into our language, and yet in the tech industry we seem to be going backwards.

immortal1 wrote:

I just wanted to clear up that I wasn't suggesting that Taylor was some kind of inferior hacker because she was female.

I apologize. I didn't mean to imply that you were being insulting, because I don't think you were. I just wanted to point out that the word has some negative roots, and in my opinion is not necessarily a compliment. Yes, as far as girls go, a "chixor" has some mad hacker skillz - but, bottom line, a "chixor" does not get the same respect as a "hacker", even though she very well may be better than a "hacker".

What kind of gripes me, is that the tech industry has managed to take a perfectly good non gender based word, and genderize it - making the feminine version lesser than the male version - and that's not your fault immortal1 - I don't blame you for that at all. Can we be friends?

But this is off topic, so I'll stop now Laughing

I want to see more of Taylor's mad hacker skillz Smile
apocalypse46
Lonely Fan

Location: where ever you see sarah you see me hiding in the background

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never really liked taylor but for some reason i thought she was cool in the last vid
The
Apocalypse

Spencer must be kicked from the show!!!!!!
eucebo
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old Taylor was nice.
Shhhhhhhhhh *sigh* *swoon*
-------
www.myspace.com/outoftears
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Taylor & Sarah All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: