Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bree, Anti-Semetism, Daniel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolinAddict
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Bree, Anti-Semetism, Daniel Reply with quote

Why is Daniel allowed in her room alone? Why is bree hanging out with someone on such a different 'level' than her? Why is Bree's Dad so interested in Daniel? Why is he opposed to her becoming too attached to him (ie forbidding her to see him). Some people have been wondering if he is being set up-

Last edited by ViolinAddict on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
je_danse112
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel may in fact be Jewish. The Name Daniel, if I'm not mistaken, is in the torah, which would be edidence to support that he is in fact Jewish. However we couldn't base it solely on a name; lots of people are named Daniel. But it could be evidence. Question
dave
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewish?

Why do people seem to think that Daniel is Jewish? I would say that he doesn't necessarily look Jewish, and could be any number of ethnicities/religions. Furthermore, lots of people have big noses... and I've known lots of Jews who did not have big noses. I'd say that Daniel's "Jewishness" is unsupported by any actual evidence -- only one stereotype which could also be applied to numerous other cultures.

Cannibalism

Bree also mentions cannibalism in Swimming (referring to Daniel taking her out in the woods, chopping her up into little pieces and eating her).

This is interesting.

Bree (arguably) takes iron pills. Iron supplements are often taken during menstruation and pregnancy. Furthermore, anemia can be caused by fecal occult blood (blood in the stool). Blood contains a lot of iron, and it is thought that myths of vampirism come from nobles drinking peasant's blood during times of famine to supplement their iron intake. So, there is certainly a link between iron supplements and blood. (Disclaimer: I'm not a medical doctor.)

Bree has refered to cannibalism at least twice at this time. (Schoolwork in Summer, and Swimming)

The mysterious bandage on her arm in House Arrest.

Could this all be building up to some sort of blood sacrafice at the ceremony?

ViolinAddict wrote:

Maybe the reason that some viewers would be "disrespectful" of Bree's religion is because it is largely antisemetic.

This is largely untrue. While Crowley probably was, Thelema is not an anti-Semitic religion.

ViolinAddict wrote:

Especially since I'm Jewish... I don't recall every sacrificing anyone, but hey... you never know:-)

The irony here is that blood is that Jews are forbidden ingesting blood at all, ever. It must be completely removed from any meat that they eat, etc.
syncomm
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave wrote:

ViolinAddict wrote:

Maybe the reason that some viewers would be "disrespectful" of Bree's religion is because it is largely antisemetic.

This is largely untrue. While Crowley probably was, Thelema is not an anti-Semitic religion.

Thelema depends on a good deal of knowledge of "Qabala" (Kabbalah), which is a form of Jewish mysticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah). So I would tend to disagree entirely on the subject of anti-semitism here. Also, maybe it is just me -- but isn't it a bit prejudice to assume all people with large noses are Jewish.
ViolinAddict
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thelema depends on a good deal of knowledge of "Qabala" (Kabbalah), which is a form of Jewish mysticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabbalah). So I would tend to disagree entirely on the subject of anti-semitism here. Also, maybe it is just me -- but isn't it a bit prejudice to assume all people with large noses are Jewish.

Yes, I understand this. I am very Jewish and know not to be prejudice- merely a bit of humor. I am aware that Thelema is certainly not an anti semetic religion. And Crowley himself had no problem with the people themselves, more with what they had become. What I am suggesting though, is that it is not necessarily the common 'Thelema'. Obviously, Daniel is aware of her religion... but it's the parts that HE doesn't know that WE very well might not know... parts that I suspect are not traditional to Thelema. It is also abnormal for followers of this religion to worship Crowley (altars ect.) yet they do. It is also abnormal for her parents to limit her free will as they do... so, all of this may point to a variation. Just a thought.
lexgal916
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: his real name Reply with quote

daniel's real name is yousef abu-taleb...so...middle eastener? im going on the abu part
John Bull
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name is Arabic. 'Yousef' is the Arabic transliteration for 'Joseph'. With that name he could be Christian, Muslim, or Jew, I don't know.

The prefix 'abu' is typically the kunya or honorific. The name it precedes generally means 'father of X' (whereas 'bin' would be 'son of') where 'X' is the name of the eldest child. I don't know that they maintain this convention when living in the west. The hyphen may have been added so that no one mistakes it for a middle name.

Abu Taleb was also an uncle of the Muslim prophet Mohammed. There is also the Yemeni Abu Teleb Group.
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncomm wrote:

Jewish Kabbalah and Western Kabbalah are vastly different.
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
orvetti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed something... but didn't Daniel go to the "religious" camp with Bree one summer? So aren't they probably both members of the same religion? Or maybe Daniel got out when he realized it was a religious camp?
John Bull
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orvetti wrote:
Maybe I missed something... but didn't Daniel go to the "religious" camp with Bree one summer? So aren't they probably both members of the same religion? Or maybe Daniel got out when he realized it was a religious camp?

Well, he at least attended the play at the end of camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: