Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High school teacher applaudes your idea

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shatomluck
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: High school teacher applaudes your idea Reply with quote

I have been a high school English teacher for 7 years, and I can tell you that teenagers today DO NOT read for entertainment. I used to get submerged in fiction books as a kid. I loved characters I could identify with and would lay out in the sun in the summers and read for hours. Of course, that was before video games and internet took over the world of entertainment. Fictional novels have long been put on the back burner of today's youth. The creators of LONELYGIRL15 have unlocked the art of storytelling in an unconventional but successful way. Teenagers were captivated by this character because they could identify with her, much the same way I used to be captivated by the romance novels back in the day. I applaud your creation of this character and wish you the best of luck.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your kind words. We appreciate hearing feedback like this after so much hard work. Incidentally, we are going to have a reading list based on books Bree and Daniel read and also elements that appear in the plot. I will start it in the forum, but likely it will end up as a snazzy page linked off the main website. thanks again for watching!
Icaterus
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the entertainment of the future is going to be things that the audience can interact with.

I think the internet is going to be the main medium for entertainment as it's interactive by nature compared with TV or a book.

Thanks for watching as I fall.
toomuchtime
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Books?! I would be ecstatic if this thing got people, especially young people, reading again. And reading stuff of some substance.
curriguy
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin wrote:
Thank you very much for your kind words. We appreciate hearing feedback like this after so much hard work. Incidentally, we are going to have a reading list based on books Bree and Daniel read and also elements that appear in the plot. I will start it in the forum, but likely it will end up as a snazzy page linked off the main website. thanks again for watching!

I'm looking forward to that!
see_who_iam
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow! Books?! I would be ecstatic if this thing got people, especially young people, reading again. And reading stuff of some substance.

I completely agree. I am one of the very few young ppl who actually still read. I love reading. Thanx to my parents raising me that way. I think it's very unfortunate that read has "gone out of style." I know ppl who would lift a book to save their lives and it makes me sad to think of it.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Please excuse my long comment! Reply with quote

Like shatomluck, I am also an English teacher (9 years in the classroom). After reading people’s comments, ideas, complaints, concerns and praise, I would like to share my own view of this LG15 phenomenon. It would seem to me that three aspiring filmmakers, with a creative, would eventually have to “come out” as creators of this video blog series, especially since their series was so popular. I cannot say for sure, however, I don’t know many people who aspire to a career, yet want their work to be hidden. It is rather amazing that people were drawn to LG15 considering all the choices that are available on the Internet (blogs, amateur videos, etc.). These guys obviously have talent enough to understand that which would draw in viewer s I don’t know many people who want to be singing sensations only to hide in their basements not sharing their music with the world. I cannot see filmmakers working hard to create a “cult” series (pun intended) to not take credit eventually.

Perhaps viewers changed the timeline of the LG creators’ revealing themselves. As an English teacher, I find it refreshing to see how many people are sharing their research skills and citing their sources (although I do discourage my students from using Wikipedia for their formal research papers- I digress, I am not grading anyone here). Wink

In addition, people should lighten up about the religious/cult overtones. There are plenty of programs on television and in local movie theaters that openly share ideas about the occult. The Grudge II commercial is playing around the clock; A&E has its own series about gruesome true-life serial killers; and The Black Dahlia has hit the big screen. I doubt that three guys wanting to break into show business are harnessing the awesome power of the internet to brainwash us all. They want film careers.

If adults feel uncomfortable about some of the topics, they can surf other sites. Parents are responsible for monitoring what their children do online. Obviously, TV networks feel this way. Consider the myriad CSIs (CSI:Miami, CSI: Criminal Intent, CSI: Cassieiswatching). People like creepy sometimes; people enjoy a good mystery. Let’s take LG15 for what it is: a pretty neat way to be entertained when one is not watching Nip/Tuck, Desperate Housewives or re-reading the Di Vinci Code. I don’t allow my children to watch any of the television shows that I have mentioned, but my husband and I sometimes do. I enjoy the choice and freedom to be able to watch what I want to watch, research what I want to research and be involved in whatever I choose.

LG15 is pretty groundbreaking. Certainly, a (purple?) monkey-wrench was thrown into the filmmakers’ plan, but this is part of this interesting new genre. I will continue to see where it takes us.

Furthermore, regarding Cassieiswatching, I would have to say it is rather intriguing. The internet, especially myspace, is not a completely anonymous forum. Myspace’s recent criticism as a forum for pedophiles to lure young people into danger, as well as Dateline’s constant airing of sting operations for pedophiles who troll chat rooms looking for kids makes it unlikely that some crazy person is free to lure viewers to their deaths. Most of what happens on the Internet is traceable. People who voyeuristically view the video blog of a teenage girl should not suddenly become offended because it is not real, has a dark side, uses symbolism and provides an interesting storyline. I don’t remember anyone chastising the little boy or Bruce Willis for being in a movie that portrayed a mother slowly poisoning her child to death. (Remember: “I see dead people.”) It is fiction. People need to use their best judgment. People also need to realize that LG15 is only one piece of the complicated world in which we live.

Sorry for the diatribe. I have a cold, and I am home sick today with no students with whom I can discuss Hester Prynne’s scarlet A turning from Adultery to Able to Acceptance.
Very Happy
Exacraft
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: You are lying... Reply with quote

I don't believe the OP [original poster] works as a teacher...especially in English... Its "applauds" and not "applaudes"...

Lol just kidding... but seriously its not "applaudes"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=applaudes&x=0&y=0
piratesour
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap!
TheNunOwnedGoat
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't believe the OP [original poster] works as a teacher...especially in English... Its "applauds" and not "applaudes"...

Lol just kidding... but seriously its not "applaudes"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=applaudes&x=0&y=0

(Yes, I know this is a bit off topic...)

Heh. That's true. But she said she was a high school English teacher. Generally, high school English clases actually focus more on literature than they do on the English language, spelling, grammar, etc. Wink

But I have to agree -- these are great works and it's such an original idea. Actually, I think it'd be great to show these things in a high-school classroom environment just to get students thinking critically and working together to solve the mystery! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: