Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon / Non Canon / Cannon / Can it get more annoying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Breeze
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Canon / Non Canon / Cannon / Can it get more annoying? Reply with quote

Sorry I'm just ranting here, I didn't know where else to post it?

I understand people think it's fun to make videos / your own fan fiction stuff, but it's gotten to the point where it's getting super confusing / annoying when they are posted among the normal posts. 99% of the time they are non-canon.. and 95% we can tell RIGHT AWAY if they are 'real' or not, so do yourself a favour and just post them in the fan creations (or whatever it's called) section. It saves a lot of time Razz and I'm sure you'll actually get appreciation for your work, instead of people like me who are just sick of the new wave of creations, and either ignore them or roll their eyes and skip it.

What are other people's opinions on this? j/w if I'm the only one who this is bothering..

Because I remember how big of a let down it was that CassieIsWatching was non-canon.. that was a big time where people had this trend of wanna be cassies on Myspace/YouTube.. and now we have this mass hysteria of New Girls, Cassie come-backs, Gemma-isn't-dead, Ooh-I'm-so-mysterious-and-symbolic-videos-with-backwards-talking-about-Bree-and-how-it's-her-last-chance....
sincerely-the-order. BLAH!

I dont want people to get the wrong idea. I think it's great people are having fun with this, I really do. and the fact that some of these ARE convincing and controversial always has the pro of keeping you on edge of your seat, trying to figure it out, but unless you have
mad acting skills, an awesome camera and video editing skills... don't get your hopes up of being the next CassieIsWatching / Maddison Atkins

To the majority of people.. sorry but you aren't convincing anyone Rolling Eyes Just put the videos where they belong, in the Fan-Fiction section. Smile

/end rant

...for now Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sack36
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Videos? Shocked you see videos here? Shocked

How come I can't see 'em?
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about other then the new girl stuff.

There will always be Cassie stuff, and the creators have hinted enough that there will not be a cannon Cassie (I want to go so far as to say they said there wouldn't be in one of their radio shows, but I may not be remembering correctly so I wont). Cassie stuff should be in the general fan fic area.

as far as the "new girl" stuff... well since it looks like we have our new girl I don't know why people would still be trying to convince us they are the new girl, but seeing as the forum is still there I guess it's an on going thing. So anyone doing any kind of new girl creation SHOULD be in the new girl thread, that's why it was made. So I don't understand why you think that is in the wrong part of the forum.

Really I don't think it's that big of a hassle to just skip over threads that you don't think would interest you, but maybe that is just me.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myself, i have always enjoyed fanfiction that isn't obviously stamped fanfiction. i enjoy the debates. i was 95% sure julia and taylor were the only canon characters among the new girls, but i enjoyed the mayhem.

i myself was duped by gemma, but i won't be DUPED AGAIN! (well, that's probably not true, i thought dehteraew was canon at 1st).

i agree that until things are reasonably sure to be canon, they should be discussed in the fanfic forums. sometimes those "are they real" threads get started in plot discussion, but they are moved in short order.

i think Breeze's irritation is with trying to understand what is mission-critical to watch when you don't have the time to figure it out. And i can sympathize with that. I use the LGpedia as my guide at those times.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's already been said nothing is required if it's not on the front page.

I always just take it that nothing is officially canon unless they show up in one of BD&J's vids or the creators leave a comment directly stating that it is canon. I agree it can be fun to try to figure it out. But unless one of those two things happen, I will take them as non-canon.
Breeze
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:

i think Breeze's irritation is with trying to understand what is mission-critical to watch when you don't have the time to figure it out. And i can sympathize with that. I use the LGpedia as my guide at those times.

That's what I'm talking about, thanks.

Im talking about the new girls AND there was another one I found yesterday called Message to bree from some person claiming to be Gemma.. but it was some video of like.. the pope and weird images.

I guess the LGpedia is a good idea =) Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We encouraged fans to get involved in making videos and post them in the New Girl section. The idea was to allow new fans to mingle with the ongoing storyline, at least until we found out who the new girl(s) is(are).

It appears we have that answer now and should probably move the other videos into a fan fiction area. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys should leave the New Girls section where it is. I like it there.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave the New Girls together for now. Julia, Taylor and Sarah are likely to be discussed as part of the Plot discussion and the other "new girls" are starting to interact with each other in their videos. I'm kinda curious to see where it goes.
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mary and trainer. I think it should stay like it is for the time being. Maybe after another couple of weeks, it'll be time. Perhaps by then we'll know with absolute certainty who all is going to be canon and who the New Girl is.
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeze wrote:
I dont want people to get the wrong idea. I think it's great people are having fun with this, I really do. and the fact that some of these ARE convincing and controversial always has the pro of keeping you on edge of your seat, trying to figure it out, but unless you have
mad acting skills, an awesome camera and video editing skills... don't get your hopes up of being the next CassieIsWatching / Maddison Atkins

To the majority of people.. sorry but you aren't convincing anyone Rolling Eyes Just put the videos where they belong, in the Fan-Fiction section. Smile

/end rant

...for now Wink

I can sympathize I've clicked out of many vids after a few seconds but I don't consider it a hardship. Thing is, no one sets out to make a bad video but if we all only stuck with stuff with high quality or production value, no one would ever get better. We've seen many of the new girls disappear. It's a harsh environment and anyone who ventures into it should at least get credit for that.

Secondly- I don't think anyone is seriously trying top convince anyone that they are apart of the story, just that they exist in the same universe.

From what I read, you're kind of saying- keep the fan stuff in the fan section so I can decide if I go check it out. That's fair. Personally when it comes to navigation any section in the forum I use 2 criteria 1) thread title and 2) # replies and views. I find it's a good way to hit the highlights.

milowent wrote:

As someone who makes videos this kind of thinking saddens me. I think that one the biggest benefit of fan videos is that they provide additional content to occupy the times when between videos or when things are at a lull. Generally speaking (not aimed at you milo) just because something is not canon doesn't mean it should just be dismissed. I suppose though if you're the type who is only interested in or only has time to watch canon content you'll probably not really open to following the fan videos. My suggestion would be to not follow the vid response stream until one of the main characters references something happening there.

The site design promises a system where there is some sort of rating system and character profiles which hopefully will help.

Broken Kid wrote:
We encouraged fans to get involved in making videos and post them in the New Girl section. The idea was to allow new fans to mingle with the ongoing storyline, at least until we found out who the new girl(s) is(are).

It appears we have that answer now and should probably move the other videos into a fan fiction area. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

I think lg15 will let us know when that time is. There has been a huge assumption that Jules is the new girl but we have no confirmation. The map on Lucy's computer suggests there might be others out there- it's possible this search can be ongoing.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
milowent wrote:

As someone who makes videos this kind of thinking saddens me. I think that one the biggest benefit of fan videos is that they provide additional content to occupy the times when between videos or when things are at a lull. Generally speaking (not aimed at you milo) just because something is not canon doesn't mean it should just be dismissed. I suppose though if you're the type who is only interested in or only has time to watch canon content you'll probably not really open to following the fan videos. My suggestion would be to not follow the vid response stream until one of the main characters references something happening there.

no offense taken. different people have different abilities and inclinations to put time into things. i like a lot of the fanfic myself, but i realize not everyone can or want to spend as much time with it. i do think the creators' original vision of encouraging creations by fans was a good one.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should leave the new girls section together, and either leave it where it is, or move the whole section under fan fiction, but leave it together (if that makes sense).
Gidget
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part I do agree with you Breeze, i think that it can get annoying when you just want to play along with the main story line. A couple of times I've gotten into somebody's videos and then been bummed when they weren't cannon.

But at the same time, with Oppy being gone, what the hell. Let the "interactive" features run wild. It gives us all more things to be involved with and though I've never done anything involving LG15, i have made other movies and I know how much of a thrill it is to have people watch and interact with them.

So in conclusion, I don't think these videos are hurting anybody by being there. I do however think that the LGPedia should be rigorous in keeping track of what is confirmed as cannon and organize the rest as fan fiction for the time being. I like to think of the LGP as my "beacon of truth" so to speak.

I want bake the people who work on the LGP a big cake, because they totally rock. I'd be lost without them!
nowherepixie
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the good things about a project like LG is that fans are encouraged to get involed and become a part of the story themselves. Fan vids are a part of that. And having a huge stamp or something on all fan vids saying 'non canon' would take the fun out of it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: