Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maddison's interests... Clues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Maddison's interests... Clues? Reply with quote

I have this ongoing conspiracy theory in the Mr Zipp's identity forum thread that maybe there was more to Maddy than we all originally thought. But since this new idea that came to me doesn't necessarily fit in with the original thread's topic, I'll just make a new one. Mods, feel free to sort this into whatever place you find appropriate!

I tried to search some of the older threads, but I don't know if there was much of a discussion about the books/movies Maddy listed that she was interested in on both her MySpace and YouTube profiles. Maybe it was because there was so much interaction with Maddy herself on both the forums and chats, we failed to notice that she had some WEIRD tastes in literature!

Books:

- Seth Speaks (by Jane Roberts): According to the Wikipedia entry about the author, she was known primarily as a psychic and trance medium or spirit medium who "channeled" a personality named Seth. This "Seth" (I skimmed over the entry) talked a lot about a variety of different topics, mainly dealing with life and religion.

- Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut): Okay so I haven't read this Vonnegut book but here's the Wikipedia entry and a NY Times review. The one thing I want to mention about this is that Vonnegut drew a number of doodles in the book.

- My Less Than Secret Life (Jonathan Ames): A non-fiction memoir, according to the Amazon Reviews it is pretty much a number of anecdotes that show that he stumbles into situations that would be unimaginable for anyone else.

- The Rejection Collection (Matthew Diffee): This is a bunch of cartoons that were rejected from the New Yorker. Funny stuff. Also the editor of the book sent handwritten surveys out to the artists of these rejected cartoons, and published their responses.

I know that I shouldn't immediately judge someone by what they're reading, but since this is an ARG and it's Maddy it just seems so... suspicious.

Anyone agree?

(If someone wants to comment about her movie interests, that would be helpful -- I'll be away for the rest of the day so I won't be able to make any comments on the movies!)
PhiaMonster
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movies:

His Girl Friday- According to Wikipedia: Cary Grant plays Walter Burns, a hard-boiled editor for The Morning Post of Chicago, and Rosalind Russell co-stars as his ex-wife and former star reporter, Hildegard "Hildy" Johnson. She wants to marry Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy) and settle down to a quiet life as a wife and mother in Albany, but Burns has other ideas. When convicted murderer Earl Williams (John Qualen) escapes from the bumbling sheriff (Gene Lockhart) on the eve of his execution, Burns entices Johnson to cover one last story, and then the fun begins. In the end, Walter offers to remarry Hildy, even letting her pick Niagara Falls for their honeymoon (they didn't have one the first time because of newspaper business). But then the phone rings; it seems there's a newsworthy strike in Albany, which is on the way to Niagara Falls...
I didn't find anything too interesting, however, i am working from home and just skimmed it so I decided to paste this

Rashomon- The film depicts a rape and murder through the widely differing accounts of four witnesses, including the perpetrator and, through a medium , the murder victim. The story unfolds in flashback as the four characters—the bandit, the murdered samurai , his wife , and the nameless Woodcutter —recount the events of one afternoon in a grove. But it is also a flashback within a flashback, because the accounts of the witnesses are being retold by a woodcutter and a priest to a ribald commoner as they wait out a rainstorm in a ruined GateHouse. Each story is mutually contradictory, leaving the viewer unable to determine the truth of the events.

Taste of Cherry- Mr Badii (Homayon Ershadi), a middle-aged man, drives through Tehran looking for someone to do a job for him and offering a large amount of money in return. It is gradually revealed that he plans to kill himself and has already dug the grave, but needs someone to throw earth on his body afterwards. In his car, Badii talks to three men in turn. The first is a young, shy Kurdish soldier who refuses to do the job. The second is an Afghan seminarist who has religious objections against suicide. The third is a university professor who is willing to help Badii, but tries to talk him out of it; he reveals that he wanted to commit suicide himself a long time ago, but chose to live when he tasted mulberries. The professor promises to throw earth on Badii if he finds him dead in the morning. That night, Badii lies in his grave while a thunderstorm begins. It is not revealed whether he dies, or the reasons for his wish to commit suicide.

Rushmore- The film is about Max Fischer (played by Jason Schwartzman), a 15-year-old whose extraordinary energy is channeled solely into extracurricular activities — school clubs and painfully over-ambitious theatrical productions, at the expense of his academic success. As a result of Max's failing grades, he is put on "sudden-death academic probation". He is inspired by Herman J. Blume (played by Bill Murray), a rich and melancholy industrialist who is himself completely uninspired, and gives a candid speech at the school (which Blume's two terrible boys also attend.) At around the same time, Max meets Rosemary Cross (played by Olivia Williams), an elementary school teacher with whom he finds himself instantly infatuated. Unfortunately for Max, Miss Cross does not share the same sentiments for a 15-year-old boy, and a conflict forms when Blume begins to have the same feelings for her that Max has. After Miss Cross returns Blume's affections, Max and Blume become rivals, and take turns upping the ante in their duel (with Max's salvoes going beyond mere pranks.)

Day For Night- is the name of a (mostly historic) technique in cinematography to simulate a night scene. Mainly intended to avoid costly (and technically challenging) night filming, the scenes were instead shot during the day, with special blue filters and under-exposed film creating the illusion of darkness or moonlight.The title of Francois Truffaut's Day for Night (1973) is an indirect reference to this technique, since the film is about the process of movie making in which Truffaut plays the role of the director being made within the film.

Sorry these are so long but like I said I am working and can only skim and don't wanna miss important parts. I hope these are relevant, I'm pretty sure they are by how random the movies and books are. We need to look at music next.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lg15panda and PhiaMonster - this is some of the best IG research we've seen thus far. It's a shame everyone overlooked this stuff until now.
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddison was smart.

And I don't mean just smrt. I mean beautifully intelligent. Her booklist is good - even a shoutout to Vonnegut who recently passed away - and Seth Speaks is an interesting choice, considering the esoteric implications. Not afraid to be religious, or interested in alternate religions. Her movie list is fucking impressive - it's only missing The Killing Fields, to be honest. She has the profile of a true college student looking to balance her sense of humour with her intense love of intellect. I can relate to that - there are a lot of incredibly high calibre students at my University in the Journalism programme that are a lot like this.

As for Vonnegut drawing doodles...hmm. Makes me think about how Zipp might've been referencing Vonnegut who died...did you know that Vonnegut died at the same age as his character Kilgore Trout? ooooooh, weiiiird.

I just realised something, on edit: we treated Maddison like the only other girl we know in something like this. We treated her like we treat Bree. We took her for a regular 19 year old that might be special for some strange reason...we failed to view her as the microphone that she was, in essence. For a lot of us, the possibility that she was the new girl dissipated quickly - but we continued to treat her as though she were a helpless little girl.

She was fucking smart. And resourceful too, in the end. She was under a lot of pressure, which is understandable, and did what she could - she ran. But we need to trace our steps backwards and figure out who Maddison is before we attempt to figure out what exactly happened to her.

What do we know? Let's get all the facts out. I think I might dedicate my Sunday to doing just that.

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little research on Maddy's music interests:

MySpace pages for each band she listed (did I mention how much I hate MySpace?). Kudos to Jeromy coming out from behind the curtain, because it was just a simple look on his friends list to find all of them.

- Georgia's Horse (http://www.myspace.com/georgiashorse): one woman acoustic/indie/folk singer. The only thing that seemed interesting was the "About" section has an image with the letters: ZSLTMWWG. I don't know?

- .belville (http://www.myspace.com/belville): indie/rock/post-punk. My favorite out of the list, imo. Nothing out of the ordinary.

- Adam Rader (http://www.myspace.com/raderadam): Recognize his music from "Making My War Nook" video. One guy acoustic/indie/folk. He uses a toy piano, which is awesome. But again, nothing out of the ordinary.

- Social Bliss (http://www.myspace.com/socialbliss): A "post modern blues punk" band. Nothing out of the ordinary.

- Country Willie (http://www.myspace.com/countrywillie): Country musician. Nothing out of the ordinary.

- The Mustn'ts (http://www.myspace.com/themustnts): This is the most suspect band, considering outside of MySpace I can't find anything (or my Google-fu is not working). Also, their MySpace was created on 4/11/07, or the day of Maddy's 1st transmission (and no logins since then). Also, they only have 2 friends besides Mr. MySpace Tom -- Jeromy and Vicki. No music, but supposedly an indie band. There's a Milwaukee-based band called the Mustn'ts (article about them here), but that's a little far out of the "local scene", right? Also, the articles about that band are a few years old, so it's possible they either have moved or are now defunct.
The most relevant quote is from the poem by Shel Silverstein:
Quote:
Listen to the MUSTN'TS child,
Listen to the DON'TS
Listen to the SHOULDN'TS
The IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
Listen to the NEVER HAVES
Then listen close to me -
Anything can happen, child
ANYTHING can be.

So to sum up, Maddy's music interests seem to be what she says they are, though the most obscure one is The Mustn'ts. Pretty freakin' obscure, too.

I'm going to reiterate that I hate MySpace and that I did this research to help further IG discussions. Anybody see anything that I missed?
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mustn'ts is Jeromy and Vicki's band. Laughing
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:
The Mustn'ts is Jeromy and Vicki's band. Laughing

::smacks forehead::
QtheC
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bands listed on Jeromy's Maddison Atkins soundtrack CD http://www.jeromy.tv/jeromydir/ are:

Adam Radar* (hmmmmm, typo? should be Rader?)
Melinda Dock
DJ Tide
Dusty Brown
Nameless
Bullet for Betty
Georgia's Horse*

*on the list above
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar is right. unless you saw it listed as that on myspace or something. Rader isn't even a word though.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lg15panda wrote:
- Adam Rader (http://www.myspace.com/raderadam): Recognize his music from "Making My War Nook" video.
TheeBerean
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lg15panda wrote:

- The Mustn'ts (http://www.myspace.com/themustnts): This is the most suspect band, considering outside of MySpace I can't find anything (or my Google-fu is not working). Also, their MySpace was created on 4/11/07, or the day of Maddy's 1st transmission (and no logins since then). Also, they only have 2 friends besides Mr. MySpace Tom -- Jeromy and Vicki. No music, but supposedly an indie band. There's a Milwaukee-based band called the Mustn'ts (article about them ?

This being true... a link to the PM was right in front of us the whole time and we never even knew it...

~tb
LesterG
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb, you commented on that last pic that the backround looked like something you've seen in a video before?

it did look familiar... maybe that's the obviousness of our mysterious identity?
HoOBS
Haku, Seraph Monk "upgrades"
LesterG
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Maddison's interests... Clues? Reply with quote

lg15panda wrote:

Books:

- Seth Speaks (by Jane Roberts): According to the Wikipedia entry about the author, she was known primarily as a psychic and trance medium or spirit medium who "channeled" a personality named Seth. This "Seth" (I skimmed over the entry) talked a lot about a variety of different topics, mainly dealing with life and religion.

a medium channeling spirits??? Shocked could it be?...
HoOBS
lg15panda
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Maddison's interests... Clues? Reply with quote

LesterG wrote:

Lester -- I've offered up my "Zipp = Maddy" theory in another thread, but I feel like I'd be clogging up the forum by rehashing that theory. Particularly because I never had any other evidence to support that theory besides opportunity. I'm not even sure if I could even come up with a motive, considering Maddy is now unavailable. The "Seth Speaks" reference, though, is about as close as I could come to being able to suggest that perhaps Maddy was not exactly who she appeared to be. I may be crazy to suggest it, but maybe Maddy wasn't playing with a full deck, if you know what I mean...
LesterG
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Maddison's interests... Clues? Reply with quote

lg15panda wrote:
LesterG wrote:

Lester -- I've offered up my "Zipp = Maddy" theory in another thread... The "Seth Speaks" reference, though, is about as close as I could come to being able to suggest that perhaps Maddy was not exactly who she appeared to be...

actually... there's a couple spirits I can think of (in our storyline), who would need channeling... but I don't know if it's too taboo to mention.

so it all ended with murder... afaik... another story involved someone's suicide to "end the voices" of someone who had possessed him... thus triggering that whole "medium channeling spirits" internal scar in my mind...friggin anagrams and cryptic speaking...

screw it, I'll just say it... frank?? cassie? Shocked

I don't know whether to consider this a serious possibility or not...

tell me I'm wrong, but let me know asap if I'm right
HoOBS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: