Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The use of a .22
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: The use of a .22 Reply with quote

Jeromy asked us why an assassin would use a .22 to kill someone

I was just reading in Newsweek that the murderer of Virginia Tech used a .22

Maddy came out shortly after the shootings.

Do you guys think it could have any connection?
PhiaMonster
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intelligence agencies and military special forces have used suppressed 22 LR pistols for assassinations and for eliminating guard dogs or sentries. Some examples include the use of suppressed High Standard HDM pistols by the American OSS, which was the predecessor organization of the CIA. Gary Powers was issued a suppressed High Standard for the flight in which he was shot down. Suppressed Ruger MK II pistols are in current use by the US Navy SEALs.

I found that on Wikipedia. I think there is some kinda tie to the Navy. I've been saying that but i can't put my finger on it. Everything leads back to WWII and the Navy.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also from the wikipedia article

Quote:
Its main advantages are low cost, low recoil, low noise and high accuracy to cost ratio.

I read in newsweek that the bullets from that gun also tend to bounce around a body since they weigh so little.
Esteed
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low recoil... That explains how little the gun moved. It also makes me wonder about the killing. WarPylol would be able to afford a more expensive gun, wouldn't he? Judging from what I'm reading a .22 is the kind of gun that you'd get if you needed an effective killing tool on a budget. There is the low noise to consider, but if WarPy is a professional assassin, I'm sure he has a silencer so that probably wouldn't be an issue...

EDIT: Kelly, that icon is made of astronomical quantities of awesome.
RedRevolver
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esteed wrote:

EDIT: Kelly, that icon is made of astronomical quantities of awesome.

Agreed whole heartedly Very Happy.

*who is we?*

Uhm...me...and...my other personalities?...=|...
giddeanx
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.22 = No or small exit wounds. Less messy when you need to clean up.

X
TheeBerean
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic for IG discussion... Jeromy said (in IRC chat) that specifically, the gun was a High Standard Sentinel .22 Revolver...

I'm trying to find more specific info on it...

~tb
chershaytoute

Location: Oregon with an ocean view...across the neighbors' cow pasture, wow!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points, fwiw...

The VA tech thing happened while the game was on. I remember being in the chat when it happened.

Also, a .22 is probably one of the easiest caliber guns to learn to shoot with because it has so little "kick." Although I can, I prefer not to shoot with a rifle or a higher caliber pistol, but I learned on a .22 at age 10 and am still quite a good shot with one <mutter mumble> years later...

I'm not sure if it any one or another pistol or ammunition is easier to get... I would have to ask my partner on that one.

WWggD - let's make the Breeniverse a better place to live...

Thanks to giddeanx for the coolest personal glue stick ever!
TheeBerean
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I did some more reading on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver)

Why this gun? I watched the "No More" video again. I noticed that the killer manually cocked the gun each time before he shoots. That means the revolver is a single action gun (or a double action that he is using as a single action). Single Action revolvers have to be cocked manually before they are fired... Double Action revolvers will automatically cock themselves and fire when squeezing the trigger... seems quicker and easier... why would an assassin prefer a single action revolver? As per Wikipedia....

Accuracy. Because a single action revolver only requires minimal pressure on the trigger to release the hammer and fire, the revolver can be aimed much more accurately in the hands of a skilled shooter... one shot, one kill. Slow. Cold. Effective.

~tb
popsicle
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wikipedia says about revolvers:

"As revolvers are of a 19th-century design, it is not surprising that semi-automatic pistols have overtaken them in military and law enforcement applications. Their often lower ammunition capacities and relatively longer reload times compared to autoloading pistols are the main reasons for the switchover that occurred in the 1970s and 1980s. Additionally, the flat profile of semi-automatics make them more suitable for concealed carry. Revolvers still remain popular in the role of back-up (and possibly off-duty) guns among American law enforcement officers and security guards. Also, revolvers are still common in the American private sector as defensive and sporting/hunting weapons."

security guards and former cops...do we know any of those?

also this, which i dont know whether or not it is helpful, but it cant hurt:

"With high quality ammunition, the .22 Long Rifle can be quite accurate. Its main advantages are low cost, low recoil, low noise and high accuracy to cost ratio. Its main disadvantage is its low power; it is only suitable for use on small game and other small animals[3] and as a defensive cartridge it is considered inadequate, though the small size allows very lightweight, easily concealable handguns which can be carried in circumstances where anything larger would be impractical. Despite their limitations, 22 LR pistols and rifles can be lethal and are often used for self defense simply because they are prevalent, inexpensive, and widely available to civilians."

*the gun was a revolver, right? not a pistol?
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible that we should be looking back at the ipod opera info from way back when? was there ever a specific gun connected to warpylol then?
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpylol was known for bomb planting, not using a gun. That is why I doubt that it was even him to killed Maddy and Adam.
Letal89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever thought Uncle Joe might have killed them? After all they were at his house. Uncle Joe seems like a pistol packin' mama!
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziola wrote:
Warpylol was known for bomb planting, not using a gun. That is why I doubt that it was even him to killed Maddy and Adam.

That was only on one particular occasion, though. I would expect an assassin to utilize multiple methods. What happens if someone's running and you only know how to plant bombs?

There's also the "warpylol" and "d in aphid" tags to consider.
Letal89
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Ziola wrote:

That was only on one particular occasion, though. I would expect an assassin to utilize multiple methods. What happens if someone's running and you only know how to plant bombs?

There's also the "warpylol" and "d in aphid" tags to consider.

Landmines!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Maddison Atkins: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: