Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yousef Article from Washingtonpost.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> LG15 in the Press
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseCrowley
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Yousef Article from Washingtonpost.com Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Yousef posted that he had an article written about him when in DC. I registered with the website so I could get the article and post for your reading pleasure, enjoy!! Sarah "Rose"

Virginia Native Is 'Lonely' and Lovin' It
By Josh ZumbrunWashington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 20, 2007; Page M02

Growing up in Northern Virginia, Yousef Abu-Taleb often talked about heading to Hollywood to be an actor. But as he bounced from Arlington to Falls Church to Herndon to Harrisonburg in the Shenandoah Valley, that dream seemed elusive. Six years after graduating from Lake Braddock Secondary School in Burke, Abu-Taleb found himself working at Red Lobster, decidedly not living the dream.

So he saved $3,000 and, not knowing a single person in Los Angeles, packed up his station wagon and drove more than 2,500 miles west. Abu-Taleb found an apartment and a job -- another Red Lobster, but this time less than 30 miles from L.A.
He scoured newspapers and trade magazines and submitted head shots to countless casting calls. After two years he finally won a role, but instead of the silver screen, Abu-Taleb would be starring on the computer screen -- on YouTube.

It was the right place at the right time. YouTube's popularity was exploding, and Abu-Taleb won a co-starring role on the serialized video blog Lonelygirl15. During the summer of 2006, Lonelygirl15 became an Internet sensation. Some fans thought the videos recounted the real lives of a few kids with a webcam; others thought they looked like the work of professionals.

When the truth came out that Lonelygirl15 was fiction, Abu-Taleb found himself doing interviews with media outlets from the Associated Press to MTV. The popularity of the series skyrocketed, and from September to April, Lonelygirl15 was the most subscribed-to channel on YouTube. Today it's No. 2, with just over 93,000 subscribers.

We met up with Abu-Taleb, 26, at Dave's Downtown Taverna in Harrisonburg. He was in a beanie cap, with only three buttons fastened on his untucked collared shirt. But a big rectangular belt buckle suggests that he still has one foot in the Shenandoah.

When did it really set in, that you had just left behind everything?
I remember finally seeing the first Hollywood sign -- not the Hollywood sign you see in the hills but the first highway Hollywood sign -- and I freaked out. It was like the greatest thing I've ever seen because I actually felt like I was doing something with myself, taking myself somewhere.

But when were you actually getting somewhere as an actor?
One of the acting coaches I had, he was doing a movie, and so I worked for him, did some extra things. I'm not even sure if I'm in the final cut of the movie. But I got on set, and I ended up getting into SAG [the Screen Actors Guild]. Meanwhile, I was back at Red Lobster. [My managers] always helped me out if I had an audition.

In Los Angeles, is it true that every waiter wants to be an actor?
It's about as hard to get an acting job as it is to get a restaurant job, because it's the same people applying for both. And it's all the beautiful people getting the bartending jobs. I had to work 30 minutes outside of the city.

What was going through your head when you realized Lonelygirl15 was getting popular?
It was really cool but really surreal. I wasn't sure who was really watching it. I wasn't sure what I could do [without blowing our cover]. Obviously we weren't celebrities. Nobody knew who we were. I didn't know if I should walk around town. I didn't know who would notice me, who wouldn't notice me. I just felt like I was in the dark the whole time about what was going to happen.

Later, we got nominated for the VH1 Big in '06 award for biggest download. The thing is we were up against a bunch of amazing artists. One of them I always liked, mostly because he was the first celebrity I ever met in California. It was David Hasselhoff. [He was nominated for the video "Jump in My Car."]

He was really cool. He came into the Red Lobster that I worked at, and he actually took a picture with me. And I said, "Oh, man, I'd love to be able to someday do the same thing as you." And then, less than two years later, I'm in a category against him.

What do you think is the biggest difference between TV, movies and the Internet?
I see the videos for the first time with the fans, on the site at Lonelygirl15.com. I read every comment posted below the videos. On my MySpace, I interact with every message I ever get. . . . I think that's part of why the media will change. Because the Internet is more accessible to everyone, because you can interact.

Doesn't it ever get too close for comfort?
We used to get really nasty, personal comments on some of the videos. It would break my spirit every time. . . . But once people realized we were actors, it calmed down. Now it doesn't kill me anymore. There are still people that say things, but I let it slide.
Has the Internet fame helped lead to other projects?
I just filmed a movie called "On Bloody Sunday." It will probably premiere at the Playboy Mansion, which is cool, probably will come out around Halloween -- it's a horror film.

It had the manager-agent from "Borat" in it, Ken Davitian, in a dramatic role. It had Danny Trejo as a guest star. We filmed that movie; it went so well that they're thinking of turning it into a trilogy, depending on how things go. I don't know at all what will happen. Warner Bros. picked up the distribution rights. Literally, I can't knock on wood enough.

What would you say to someone who's thinking about doing what you did?
If they really believe in themselves, they should do it. If you really believe in yourself, don't hold back. I know, personally, I didn't want to look back in 20 years and say, "I think I could have; what if I should have?" I don't mean that just for actors. It's not about making money or anything like that; it's about doing what you love.

But do you make good money?
[Laughs.] It's not great, but I'm making a living as an actor, and that's unbelievable.

What's the hardest part?
Besides the uncertainty, probably being away from the family. I mean, I love Harrisonburg. I love North Virginia. I still keep the 540 area code so my little sisters can call me, no problem.

TTT:Granted, but the fairy takes your credit card instead of leaving money and gets like fifty lap dances w/ it.

Mawhahaha!
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great article. nice to see yousef getting some big press attention.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is so cool. Yousef deserves attention from the mainstream press.

Now if only he had an agent . . .
RoseCrowley
Owen's Helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me me me Wink lol gosh i loved this last video...his acting was great *sigh*

TTT:Granted, but the fairy takes your credit card instead of leaving money and gets like fifty lap dances w/ it.

Mawhahaha!
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a hard copy of this article -- it was in the Washington Post Sunday Source section, which is a very cool section for people in their 20s and 30s. The interview was inside the section, but the front page of the section featured one of the pix of Yousef from early in LG15, wearing Bree's hat and pink feather boa. There were four pix of him inside -- the same pic, one of the pix of him with the sombrero, and a couple of non-hat pix. None of them were any of the ones I'd consider SexyBeast shots, but it was still nice to see Yousef getting all of that attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> LG15 in the Press All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: