Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jay Vector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phipunk
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Jay Vector Reply with quote

THIS JUST IN: Wikipedia's article on recombinant DNA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recombinant_DNA ) has a link at the bottom to the page on vector DNA ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_DNA ), which reads:

Quote:

Vector DNA
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Vector DNA is a small piece of DNA containing regulatory and coding sequences of interest.

A vector is a DNA molecule into which foreign fragments of DNA may be inserted. A vector functions like a "molecular carrier", which will carry fragments of DNA into a host cell.

Vectors are usually derived from plasmids, which are small, circular, double-stranded DNA molecules occurring naturally in the cytoplasm of bacteria.

Vectors contain an origin of replication, which enables the vector, together with the foreign DNA fragment inserted into it, to replicate.

Vectors contain genetic markers that allow for selection of cells which have taken up the plasmid DNA.

Vector DNA functions to insert and amplify a gene into a target genome. Vector DNA can be used in a DNA vaccine.

It always bugged me that Jay's last name had a medical meaning. I only knew it in the context of diseases like malaria, but this gives a bit more to chew on.
ShardinsKitten
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo good find. Thanks for posting this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Facility J: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: