Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mental Health Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiff5000
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joygasm wrote:

Time for my two cents. Bipolar is not going to make someone think they are one person one day and a completely different person the next. This would be a psychological disorder, not a mood disorder. If it is not her moral dilemmas and fear causing this kind of behavior, it would have to be caused by a person being disillusioned about who they are. Mood disorders would not cause this.

No. Saying she has Dissociative Identity Disorder would definitely be a stretch. A mood disorder is far more likely.
LiLskttles87
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
spiff5000 wrote:
JustAnotherLonelyGirl. wrote:

I refuse to address your reference to bipolar disorder. Stick to what you know about, please.

Does a BA in Psychology count?

Since my comments were criticized twice I feel it's necessary to respond. Those with Bipolar Disorder typically suffer from severe mood swings. The two most common moods and the associated symptoms are the following:

Depression
Feeling sad or blue, or “down in the dumps”
Loss of interest in things the person used to enjoy, including sex
Feeling worthless, hopeless, or guilty
Sleeping too little or too much
Changes in weight or appetite
Feeling tired or having little or no energy
Feeling restless
Problems concentrating or making decisions
Thoughts of death or suicide

Mania
Increased energy level
Less need for sleep
Racing thoughts or mind jumps around
Easily distracted
More talkative than usual or feeling pressure to keep talking
More self-confident than usual
Focused on getting things done, but often completing little
Risky or unusual activities to the extreme, even if it’s likely bad things will happen

I'm merely saying if Alex were suffering from Bipolar Disorder she likely wouldn't be composing elaborate plans and cryptic messages. Those activities require a balanced temperament, patience and persistence; these traits are absence when your mood is out of control.

You don't have a BA in Psychology. If you did, you would know that bipolars go through long spells without any mood swings at all. You would also know that some of the most intelligent and creative people in the world are/were bipolars. Also, bipolars have IQs above the average.

Don't lie. You don't know WTF you are talking about. Bipolars minds aren't always muddled.

Also, being on the fence about something and waivering does not a bipolar make. Moral dilemmas and fear can often cause these kinds of reactions in people without mood disorders.

BA in psychology, my ass.

Im sorry im a little late on this and while i am very glad that someone called him out on that BA....

But dont you think this conversation is getting a little out hand i think we should just drop the whole bi polor manic depression convo. cuz the heat is risin and i can feel it

"Memories flooded My Mind,
Like a Delicate Symphony
Wet with blood"
-~-~-~-~-~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Everytime you score a goal a starving child in africa dies" ~ Sarah

"Your so morbid" ~ Taylor
megabyte
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:

There's so much wrong with these comments that it couldn't all be stated without completely getting this thread off-topic. What he said was not only an insult about a lot of people, but was mind-bogglingly, hilariously wrong.

Thank you lurker and others for setting the record straight. Now forget that ever happened and let's get back to topic. What is the real reason Alex would have helped DJ get Bree back? Why did she leave in the first place? Was she threatned? Is that why she went back, but used her position to help the gang?

Just a thought
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff5000 wrote:
joygasm wrote:

Time for my two cents. Bipolar is not going to make someone think they are one person one day and a completely different person the next. This would be a psychological disorder, not a mood disorder. If it is not her moral dilemmas and fear causing this kind of behavior, it would have to be caused by a person being disillusioned about who they are. Mood disorders would not cause this.

No. Saying she has Dissociative Identity Disorder would definitely be a stretch. A mood disorder is far more likely.

No use in arguing with someone who believes their "Sally Struthers - Get-Your-Degree-from-Home" BA is legit. Give it up. You aren't convincing anyone here.

You other girls better back it up! He is mine! Just ask him!!

Last edited by joygasm on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff5000 wrote:
longlostposter wrote:

You don't have a BA in Psychology. If you did, you would know that bipolars go through long spells without any mood swings at all. You would also know that some of the most intelligent and creative people in the world are/were bipolars. Also, bipolars have IQs above the average.

Don't lie. You don't know WTF you are talking about. Bipolars minds aren't always muddled.

Also, being on the fence about something and waivering does not a bipolar make. Moral dilemmas and fear can often cause these kinds of reactions in people without mood disorders.

BA in psychology, my ass.

You're projecting.

You might want to try looking up the definition of the term where psychology is concerned. What you just said made no sense. In order for your claim of projecting to even be a possibility, we'd have to have reason to believe that Alex is bipolar — which we don't have.

spiff5000 wrote:
joygasm wrote:

No, it really isn't. Our moral foundations don't change like that. You're talking about someone hopping back and forth between sharply distinct sides of ethical issues that are — so far — without hint of a grey area. That's not going to change based on whether we feel depressed or elated.

No one here believes you have a BA in psychology, and if you do, the school you went to ripped you off. You don't know what you're talking about. Everyone here can see that. Please stop insulting people and making a fool of yourself.

joygasm wrote:
I don't know why I bother arguing with someone who believe their "Sally Struthers - Get-Your-Degree-from-Home" BA is legit. Give it up. You aren't convincing anyone here.

Nice.

Last edited by Lurker on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
voyboy
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiaMonster wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help it...

All the psychology talk reminded me of scary Tom Cruise!! Laughing

You beat me to it!! LOL i was searching for this and thought, "Surely someones had to have done this by now..."
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PhiaMonster
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyboy wrote:
PhiaMonster wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help it...

All the psychology talk reminded me of scary Tom Cruise!! Laughing

You beat me to it!! LOL i was searching for this and thought, "Surely someones had to have done this by now..."
Laughing

Yeah I just so happened to get into a Tom Cruise War with my friend a couple of days ago, so i already had this in my photobucket!! When I was reading the whole situation I was like YES!! Tom!! Laughing
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiaMonster, you rock!
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
spiff5000
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
kellylen wrote:
pfft guys

I may not have bipolar but I'm close. Medication doesn't always help. and what Juli explained doesn't always happen either.

It is true, however, that bipolar people are not constantly fluctuating between mania and depression (by the way, I said that medication helps many people, not all; someone with Order connections would probably get to try out a lot of different kinds until they found one that at least helped a little).

kellylen wrote:
He never said there wasnt a time period in between he just said that they went from 1 extreme to another in a short period of time.

He asserted that a bipolar individual would be unlikely to be able to construct those puzzles because they wouldn't have a balanced temperment and enough patience to do it (most anyone should have been able to write that stuff in half an hour anyway, especially if they knew what the Hymn of One is like).

He also suggested that Alex switching back and forth between overt good and overt evil could mean that she's bipolar. This was followed up by stating — and I quote — "Such a mind wouldn't have enough clarity to compose the encrypted messages and clues we discovered."

There's so much wrong with these comments that it couldn't all be stated without completely getting this thread off-topic. What he said was not only an insult about a lot of people, but was mind-bogglingly, hilariously wrong.

You're way off base. The "overt good and overt evil" you describe is not Bipolar, nor did I say it was. But it could be a psychotic break.

Go back to the early videos of Alex. Whenever she is confronted with her conflicting loyalties (Jonas versus The Order) she experiences a psychotic break. In this state her behavior is grandiose and somewhat deranged. Psychosis is typically an indicator of a disorder. (I say bipolar but you don't have to agree.) Considering the history with her family (abandonment) it should be no surprise should would have a disorder.

And, I say, not likely she planned Bree's escape.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff5000 wrote:
Lurker wrote:
kellylen wrote:
pfft guys

I may not have bipolar but I'm close. Medication doesn't always help. and what Juli explained doesn't always happen either.

It is true, however, that bipolar people are not constantly fluctuating between mania and depression (by the way, I said that medication helps many people, not all; someone with Order connections would probably get to try out a lot of different kinds until they found one that at least helped a little).

kellylen wrote:
He never said there wasnt a time period in between he just said that they went from 1 extreme to another in a short period of time.

He asserted that a bipolar individual would be unlikely to be able to construct those puzzles because they wouldn't have a balanced temperment and enough patience to do it (most anyone should have been able to write that stuff in half an hour anyway, especially if they knew what the Hymn of One is like).

He also suggested that Alex switching back and forth between overt good and overt evil could mean that she's bipolar. This was followed up by stating — and I quote — "Such a mind wouldn't have enough clarity to compose the encrypted messages and clues we discovered."

You're way off base. The "overt good and overt evil" you describe is not Bipolar, nor did I say it was. But it could be a psychotic break.

Go back to the early videos of Alex. Whenever she is confronted with her conflicting loyalties (Jonas versus The Order) she experiences a psychotic break. In this state her behavior is grandiose and somewhat deranged. Psychosis is typically an indicator of a disorder. (I say bipolar but you don't have to agree.) Considering the history with her family (abandonment) it should be no surprise should would have a disorder.

You're just plain stupid, as well as a liar.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff5000 wrote:

*sigh* You have got to be kidding me. According to dictionary.com, psychosis is defined as:

"1. a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.
2. any severe form of mental disorder, as schizophrenia or paranoia."

also, the American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary defines it as:

"A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning."

Psychosis is a disorder... it does not indicate one!

I'd also like to add that I don't think there has been any evidence of anything this extreme in Alex.

Last edited by joygasm on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onsweetavenue
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
You don't have a BA in Psychology. If you did, you would know that bipolars go through long spells without any mood swings at all.
Actually he could. a BA in Psychology isn't really much of anything as far as diagnosing someone with bipolar disorder. You just learn very general things about specific diseases such as bipolar disease. To learn more you'd have to take a specific course on the subject or you'd learn more when you furthered your education in the subject.

So instead of saying that there was no BA in Psychology a more appropriate response is, you haven't grazed the surface of your studies to be qualified to know about Psychology. That is like a Justice major saying they are qualified to explain the law because they know it to the level a lawyer did, or a person who finished his pre-med requirements saying he could diagnose people.

It's possible, but would you trust someone to be spot on with those qualifications? Not likely. I mean we don't even trust Pschiatrists to be spot on either.

My friend is a Psych major and he claims he learned that bipolar disorder effects people on so many different levels in so many ways that predicting how a person acts with the disorder is nearly impossible, but as you said (and opposed to spiff) people can go years between their states.

Last edited by onsweetavenue on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
spiff5000
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joygasm wrote:
spiff5000 wrote:

*sigh* You have got to be kidding me. According to dictionary.com, psychosis is defined as:

"1. a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.

"A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning."

A layman's dictionary does not properly define the condition. Pick up a DSM if you want to really know about it.
joygasm
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiff5000 wrote:
joygasm wrote:
spiff5000 wrote:

A layman's dictionary does not properly define the condition. Pick up a DSM if you want to really know about it.

Yes, lets ignore the medical dictionary.

spiff5000
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onsweetavenue wrote:
longlostposter wrote:
You don't have a BA in Psychology. If you did, you would know that bipolars go through long spells without any mood swings at all.
Actually he could. a BA in Psychology isn't really much of anything as far as diagnosing someone with bipolar disorder. You just learn very general things about specific diseases such as bipolar disease. To learn more you'd have to take a specific course on the subject or you'd learn more when you furthered your education in the subject.

So instead of saying that there was no BA in Psychology a more appropriate response is, you haven't grazed the surface of your studies to be qualified to know about Psychology. That is like a Justice major saying they are qualified to explain the law because they know it to the level a lawyer did, or a person who finished his pre-med requirements saying he could diagnose people.

It's possible, but would you trust someone to be spot on with those qualifications? Not likely. I mean we don't even trust Pschiatrists to be spot on either.

My friend is a Psych major and he claims to have learned the exact opposite in abnormal psychology.

There's no REAL analysis going on here. We're just speculating on some dumb videos. Please, people, get a grip!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Rubbish Bin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: