Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor Chat Client
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Poor Chat Client Reply with quote

Now, I know I have not posted for a long time. I went into lurkermode for a while, for the best really.

This chat issue has been an issue since it was launched in like, November or December. The client is too slow and crashers too many people. I would recommend that LG15 adopt a new and more userfriendly client, especially if they plan to continue their theme of incharacter chats. Userfriendly is key, if you want to draw in an active and new audience.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally. the chat was crashing big time at about 45 users tonight. its a big bummer when a cool interaction event like bree popping into the chat is hindered.

i think using an IRC channel, with a java based entryway for the main site, is the most logical way for the creators to go. (and guys, this really isn't hard to do.) the current setup cannot even handle what userplace could back when bree came on preannounced back in november.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I recommended the Freenode Java Chat applet to the Creators. I guess they either decided against it or haven't gotten around to it. There's no question that the current configuration just can't handle what they're trying to accomplish.
dixiemccoy
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: IRC Reply with quote

IRC has shown to be stable over many years of service and has a low maintenance overhead once it is set up and good admins/ops are chosen.

You can choose from a number of available clients from plain HTML with a refresh to javascript, to java or full featured applications.

And the Freenode IRC service has been working beautifully for the
http://lg15today.blogspot.com/ chats...
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if it's the audio/visual components that slow it down. The C's seem to require that with their chat for some reason. Does IRC have audio/visual and if so is it more stable under similar conditions?

I think the chat tonight was made worse by the fact that the site was already taxed after just having released a new vid.
dixiemccoy
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
Does IRC have audio/visual and if so is it more stable under similar conditions?

Not directly, no....

IRC is a plain text chat system with optional enhancements for things like colored text, file sharing, etc.

While a voice or video chat would be nice, with the numbers of people now involved, it could just turn into a mess more often than it would help.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
I just wonder if it's the audio/visual components that slow it down.

its not just that. the package they use is not scalable to large audiences, even if no one uses the audio/video.

Quote:
I think the chat tonight was made worse by the fact that the site was already taxed after just having released a new vid.

this is possible. but it maxed out at around 58? people. that's not much at all. IRC can handle 1000s. other people from IRC rooms were trying to enter and were having problems.

if we remember back to the userplane-based chat from november, there were over 600 people trying to get in, even though each room had a 100 room intended limit. i don't think this client could even handle 100.
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:
immortal1 wrote:
I just wonder if it's the audio/visual components that slow it down.

its not just that. the package they use is not scalable to large audiences, even if no one uses the audio/video.

Quote:

this is possible. but it maxed out at around 58? people. that's not much at all. IRC can handle 1000s. other people from IRC rooms were trying to enter and were having problems.

if we remember back to the userplane-based chat from november, there were over 600 people trying to get in, even though each room had a 100 room intended limit. i don't think this client could even handle 100.

I am totally, in no way defending the current chat software. I'm just saying I think you'll probably continue to have that problem if A/V is involved. If I recall the Mixed Media chat got laggy too when they got to about 50 users. A/V is nice but it doesn't seem to be worth the trade off.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
I am totally, in no way defending the current chat software. I'm just saying I think you'll probably continue to have that problem if A/V is involved. If I recall the Mixed Media chat got laggy too when they got to about 50 users. A/V is nice but it doesn't seem to be worth the trade off.

right, i agree.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can read this if you want to, I wrote it the other day after speaking with some people about frustrations with the site, and posted it this morning. I'm glad this thread popped up when it did.

http://lifeandlovekts.blogspot.com/2007/06/open-letter-to-creators-lg15-from.html

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count this another vote for moving the multi-user chat to IRC.
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an IRC room is easier to moniter, access and communicate in. Although you lose the webcam side, this could also been seen as a plus for the creators. Reality is, webcam chats are pretty attractive to predators, etc. Plain text is a lot easier to deal with.

I know the IRC has recieved a bad name in the past, but consider it a change in programming, not audience.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, can only get into IRC and not the chat here on site. That makes it all the more appealing to me. Very Happy
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got bumped out of chat. I'm all for IRC now.
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRC chat requires a software download; perhaps Java as trainer101 has suggested, or more robust software like mIRC. The present chat does not require a software download.

I am not defending the current configuration either, but there are some other issues to consider besides software.

The chat client must allow The Creators to maintain control of the platform; the present system does allow them to maintain control.

Will a switch to IRC allow them to maintain this control? I would think that if that were the case, they would have already made the switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: