Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Shipper section
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: A Shipper section Reply with quote

Garnet mentioned this idea in passing awhile back, and I am just fed up enough at the moment to make it a formal proposal.

We seem to have an inordinate proportion of Shippers on this board -- people who are obsessed with the idea of two specific characters getting into a relationShip (or one of the characters getting together with the poster him/herself). Thread after thread in the Forum ends up being taken over by shippers squealing about how cute a character is or how it would be soooooo adorable if X got together with Y. Those of us who want to discuss more substantive aspects of the vids or the storyline are forced to plow through page after page (after page) of these simpering posts in order to find the posts we want to read.

I am proposing that the Forum institute a Shipper section in the Character Discussion area. The section would be the place for all OT discussion of actual or potential character hookups. (I specify "OT discussion" because, as we've seen recently, character hookups are sometimes central to the actual plot.) People could start threads for their favorite hookups, including fantasy hookups featuring themselves. Rolling Eyes And if shippers were unable to restrain themselves from their "Ooh! Ooh!" junior-high-level posts in threads in other sections, the mods could satisfy their apparent yen for taking posts out of threads by moving the shipper posts.

I'm absolutely serious about this.

What do people (especially the mods) think?
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor of giving them a playground. God knows it's the only way I can handle Harry Potter fandom.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Idea!
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea!
rupaZer0
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, shipping! I'm all for it.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Shipper section Reply with quote

I was thinking about how much I agreed that shipping posts were annoying until I got to this part.

Languorous Lass wrote:
We seem to have an inordinate proportion of Shippers on this board -- people who are obsessed with the idea of two specific characters getting into a relationShip (or one of the characters getting together with the poster him/herself).
Oh shit. I suppose this could be addressed to me.

In my defense, however, I don't randomly go around taking over threads talking about how much Daniel and I need to get together. Most of that stuff stays in the Daniel, ma belle thread, where everyone pretty much runs around screaming their love off a mountain (except for Cloud).

The only times I can remember right now where I shipped in an inappropriate thread are only two recently. And both times my post was one lined and for the better part, people completely ignored me, since I wasn't being serious anyways.

Other times not so recently would be open love letters in Daniel's chat section. But, hey, Daniel has to know somehow how much I love him. Very Happy

So, I'm sorry if I've annoyed anyone with my posts about Daniel, as it was not at all my intention. Next time I feel the need to promote my love for Daniel, I'll be a bit more aware of where I'm posting.

Other than that, I don't feel like there's really a need for a whole new forum section just for shipping. Shipper posting has increased just because there has been an increase in relationships in the plot. My advice would be that shipping posts should go in the character discussion boards.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: A Shipper section Reply with quote

consideration wrote:
I was thinking about how much I agreed that shipping posts were annoying until I got to this part.

Languorous Lass wrote:
We seem to have an inordinate proportion of Shippers on this board -- people who are obsessed with the idea of two specific characters getting into a relationShip (or one of the characters getting together with the poster him/herself).
Oh shit. I suppose this could be addressed to me.

Not necessarily, considdy. I seem to remember you starting specific threads to talk about how pretty your babies would be. That's not nearly as annoying as shipper talk in a thread devoted to another topic. My one request of you would be that the titles of the pretty-babies threads be clearer, so I know to avoid them like the plague. Wink

consideration wrote:
I don't feel like there's really a need for a whole new forum section just for shipping. Shipper posting has increased just because there has been an increase in relationships in the plot. My advice would be that shipping posts should go in the character discussion boards.

Well, I'm suggesting that the shipping section go on/in the character discussion board. IMHO, unless we have a specific section, people won't know to limit their shipper posts to that board.

And I did specify that OT shipper posts go in the shipper section, simply because relationships are sometimes important to the plot.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: A Shipper section Reply with quote

Languorous Lass wrote:
Not necessarily, considdy. I seem to remember you starting specific threads to talk about how pretty your babies would be. That's not nearly as annoying as shipper talk in a thread devoted to another topic. My one request of you would be that the titles of the pretty-babies threads be clearer, so I know to avoid them like the plague. Wink
Daniel Babies! Lol! That was really less about shipping and more of an inside joke I have with Kassia and Marla. This will sound strange out of context, but Kassia and I had babies and I wanted to name them all Daniel. Then Marla came into the picture. So that's why they're called Daniel babies.
Lol. I had completely forgotten about that.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: A Shipper section Reply with quote

consideration wrote:
Other than that, I don't feel like there's really a need for a whole new forum section just for shipping. Shipper posting has increased just because there has been an increase in relationships in the plot. My advice would be that shipping posts should go in the character discussion boards.

In thinking about this today, I tend to agree that adding a new forum seems a bit overkill.

Languorous Lass wrote:
Well, I'm suggesting that the shipping section go on/in the character discussion board. IMHO, unless we have a specific section, people won't know to limit their shipper posts to that board.

And I did specify that OT shipper posts go in the shipper section, simply because relationships are sometimes important to the plot.

If we keep the in-character comments in the in-character sections, I don't think there would be considerable amounts of these type of threads. There will always be posts within topics saying "No, Jonas should be with me!" or such, but these things are easily skipped within a topic. Obviously if there are a lot in this vein, they should be stripped out and made into their own topic, but I don't see enough of this for its own forum.

Outside of in-character posts, these type of relationship posts are probably best targeted for Off the Cuff. They don't really concern the storyline or plot discussion or even character discussion, per se. Anyway, that's my thoughts right now, but we'll see how other people respond.
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't think an altogether new section is warranted. I can't really think of any threads that were completely taken over by such discussion. Exceptions, of course, being threads for vids like "HOLY SH%T!!!" or "The Morning After" — and those videos were focused on the romantic relationships.

There is an occasional "Daniel/Jonas was sooo cute in this vid" comment, or "It should be me he was kissing" comment, but I don't feel that there's enough of them to necessitate removing all of the ones that appear. You're always going to get random comments like that, the same as you're always going to get a post from someone who didn't read the rest of the thread first and begins their comment with "I don't know if anyone's already suggested this...."

Really, removing all of those posts would — in the interest of fairness — require removing all posts like this, this, this, this, this, this, this, or this as being posts that aren't exactly "on topic" in the strictest sense. Obviously, though, they all are still authentic discussion related to the video itself, just as many "Jonas/Daniel was sooo cute in this video" (emphasis added) comments arguably are. There's just not enough of any of them to require their own section.

It would also lead to either feelings that forum members aren't free to share their thoughts, or it would just cause them to add a small extra comment about the video to their posts where they talk about how cute a character is or how much they'd like to see one character get together with another. Really, it would probably lead to having to read or skim over even more stuff you're not particularly interested in seeing.

It would also be a nightmare for the mods trying to determine what does or doesn't meet the criteria for removal in a fast-moving thread when the server's lagging due to high traffic.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Really, removing all of those posts would — in the interest of fairness — require removing all posts like this, this, this, this, this, this, this, or this as being posts that aren't exactly "on topic" in the strictest sense.

Yep. And your problem with that idea is . . . ?

Lurker wrote:
Obviously, though, they all are still authentic discussion related to the video itself

It's not at all obvious to me -- at least with regard to the posts that throw shipper comments in on a random basis.

Lurker wrote:
just as many "Jonas/Daniel was sooo cute in this video" (emphasis added) comments arguably are.

"Arguably," indeed. I'd certainly argue with that premise.

Lurker wrote:
It would also lead to either feelings that forum members aren't free to share their thoughts . . .

I don't see how making a section to "share thoughts" about who should hook up with whom, and asking posters to keep those thoughts to the proper section, is more objectionable than asking posters to keep political remarks to the "Off the Cuff" section, or speculation about The New Girl to the "New Girl" section, or questions from newbies like "Who is this Bree chick anyway?" to the "New to LG15? Start Here!" section.

Lurker wrote:
. . . or it would just cause them to add a small extra comment about the video to their posts where they talk about how cute a character is or how much they'd like to see one character get together with another. Really, it would probably lead to having to read or skim over even more stuff you're not particularly interested in seeing.

On the contrary, I would hope that it would cause forumites to realize that shipper talk belongs in its place, just as other OT conversation belongs in the appropriate place(s), and to respect other forumites by keeping their shipper discussions where they belong.

After all, I don't recall seeing people -- regardless of how passionate they are about politics -- posting messages like "God, I really hope the Senate manages to pass that vote of no confidence against Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, and that he steps down even if Bush doesn't fire him. Oh, and hey, how 'bout that latest video?"

Lurker wrote:
It would also be a nightmare for the mods trying to determine what does or doesn't meet the criteria for removal in a fast-moving thread when the server's lagging due to high traffic.

I'm not advocating that the mods be required to keep up with the discussion in real time. In fact, I can't imagine that being a workable procedure for mods to follow in any case -- even in extreme cases like the whole Glenn Debacle.

I will point out that the mods do seem to be overly enthusiastic about moving posts they consider "OT" to the Rubbish Bin. (That, to my surprise, was where I found my original discussion with Garnet about shipper posts.) I would like to see the mods exercising their OT power for good for a change.

Last edited by Languorous Lass on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Languorous Lass wrote:
I will point out that the mods do seem to manage to find any and all posts -- other than shipper posts, of course -- that they deem vaguely Off-Topic, and to move them to the Rubbish Bin.

I find this to be an unfair criticism of the mods on this board. I don't think Lass meant it literally, but it certainly isn't true.

Having said that, I kind of like the Shipper section idea. Just my two-cents.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean what I said about the mods' use of OT powers, but that discussion doesn't belong in this thread, so I withdraw the comment and will post a separate thread in the "Concerns and Complaints" section.

Back to the "Separate Shipper Section" discussion already in progress.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
Languorous Lass wrote:
I will point out that the mods do seem to manage to find any and all posts -- other than shipper posts, of course -- that they deem vaguely Off-Topic, and to move them to the Rubbish Bin.

I find this to be an unfair criticism of the mods on this board. I don't think Lass meant it literally, but it certainly isn't true.

Having said that, I kind of like the Shipper section idea. Just my two-cents.

Yeah, I don't know about "any and all"..but there does seem to be an excessive amount of energy put into moving certain stuff to the rubbish bin that isn't all that rubbishy. I think a "shipper" section is a good idea personally. Also, not for nothin' but I'd love for all the stupid game threads (sorry..no offense to the creators of said threads..I don't think you are stupid, but I'm not down with the games.) to have their own section because they drive me insane and have been for quite some time.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirlreturn wrote:
Also, not for nothin' but I'd love for all the stupid game threads (sorry..no offense to the creators of said threads..I don't think you are stupid, but I'm not down with the games.) to have their own section because they drive me insane and have been for quite some time.

I think those quiz and game threads generally belong in Off the Cuff. Most of them have been moved there and are doing quite well! However, it does get in the way of the spaciegirl thread! Wink Maybe that should be moved back to GTKEO...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: