Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Shipper section
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Languorous Lass wrote:
Yep. And your problem with that idea is . . . ?

Well, to start, I'm not a big fan of restricting people's natural expression unless it seems really necessary, and there's been times enough where I felt like cries of "off-topic" were made when I just saw a normal conversation. There's being off-topic where it's satellite-related, and then there's way off-topic.

Really, I think getting something a little off-topic should not only be allowed, but expected and welcomed. It's the natural course of conversation that we meander.

Anyway, I wouldn't think it fair unless everything considered off-topic in the strictest sense went too, and I don't think that would actually happen if a romance-specific section were made. I think we'd inevitably see that it couldn't be upheld, simply because there'd be too much and it would be too demanding on the mods to drastically increase the number of judgment calls they'd have to make.

Languorous Lass wrote:
It's not at all obvious to me -- at least with regard to the posts that throw shipper comments in on a random basis.

The video or plot element up for discussion is presumably what's prompting those responses, in which case those thoughts are related to that specific topic, no?

Languorous Lass wrote:
I don't see how making a section to "share thoughts" about who should hook up with whom, and asking posters to keep those thoughts to the proper section, is more objectionable than asking posters to keep political remarks to the "Off the Cuff" section, or speculation about The New Girl to the "New Girl" section, or questions from newbies like "Who is this Bree chick anyway?" to the "New to LG15? Start Here!" section.

The difference is that the videos aren't politically-oriented and likely don't inspire a whole lot of political commentary from most of us. The other examples you mentioned are also markedly different from someone responding to a character's appearance in that specific video or the potential romantic implications of certain events within that specific video.

In those cases it's a direct response to the video even if it's not in the same vein as "So does this mean the Epogen was good?" Those other posts I linked to involve something that's still related, whether it's "Damn, I went to bed a little while before this showed up" or "I'm having trouble seeing the video."

To some of the people making those responses, it's likely not off-topic in the least. If they feel that way, then they're inevitably going to feel that their thoughts are unwelcome if their stuff's getting moved. Feeling that way is only normal.

Langurous Lass wrote:
On the contrary, I would hope that it would cause forumites to realize that shipper talk belongs in its place, just as other OT conversation belongs in the appropriate place(s), and to respect other forumites by keeping their shipper discussions where they belong.

Yet, to be fair, there are some who have said they'd like to see those of us who want in-depth discussion to keep our discussions in their place. You know I myself have been the biggest target of those comments. I'm just trying to think of this from multiple angles because not everyone goes into the threads looking for the same thing.

Langurous Lass wrote:
After all, I don't recall seeing people -- regardless of how passionate they are about politics -- posting messages like "God, I really hope the Senate manages to pass that vote of no confidence against Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, and that he steps down even if Bush doesn't fire him. Oh, and hey, how 'bout that latest video?"

That's obviously drastically different and not in any way related to even the series, much less a certain video or plot element.

Languorous Lass wrote:
I'm not advocating that the mods be required to keep up with the discussion in real time. In fact, I can't imagine that being a workable procedure for mods to follow in any case -- even in extreme cases like the whole Glenn Debacle.

What are you suggesting?

Last edited by Lurker on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I agree with LL.

It gets tricky when "shipper" discussion is central to existing or potential future plotlines, and I think that some lenience in enforcement would be due in this regard.

While they don't bother me that much in and of themselves, I think that it's evident that these sort of posts are placing an undue amount of clutter in other topics/forums.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how if I posted in the Mr. Park Ranger video thread saying
consideration wrote:
Daniel looked so cute in this video. I loved the hat!
would be off-topic. It seems on-topic to me.
Does every post have to be a thesis?

And, there just isn't enough ship posts to warrant a new section in the forum. If you're going to crack down on shipping, just throw the posts in character discussion.

Last edited by consideration on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
sack36
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Lurker and Consideration on this one. Lots of times the funky little ship comment sets the tone for the rest of the thread. Also, as far as videos go, you might as well just lop off the first three pages of each and every one of them. There is seldom any well thought out comments in those.

I think it reasonable to assume that the shippers don't consider most of their comments as off topic in any way. I fear what you would get by opening up a new section is just more of that kind of posting. They'd continue to post in the video or plot or character sections but they would start posts in the other section as well.

What may be a decent compromise is to have the fan club threads for each of the characters stickeyed to the top of each area. Then make it known that shipper comments were encouraged for that area only. We'd still inevitably get some in the other threads, but the number should go down some.

Also, having the moderators handle shipper transfers wouldn't solve the problem. Most of the irritation comes from the first couple of hours after a video has been posted. Mods can't be expected to get on it that fast and frankly the way the moderators are on site now, anyone reading posts between midnight and 4pm would be stuck with the shipper comments anyway.
http://2grandmas.com and http://laying8.com
Proud member of the Him of Won and the Humm of Juan
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, Lass, I don't understand why these comments upset you so. Possible relationships between the characters are on-topic, especially when they are being hinted at in the videos themselves...such as the Daniel/Sarah romance has. What is the big deal? Why is it so bothersome that someone would say the character they love looks hot in this video?

I love you, Lass, but honestly...I just don't get it.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lass, I don't want to be a bitch to you, but I have to do this. Everything in bold are posts of yours:

ApotheosisAZ wrote:I find myself dreaming of a Lucy/Apo/Alex sandwich right now....

Misty wrote: I'd rather have a Bree/Misty/Madison sandwich

Lass wrote: Nah. Maddison looks about 12. Give me Tachyon and Alex.

The bold is you in this thread: http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=309459&highlight=hot#309459

And here you don't seem offended:

JustAnotherLonelyGirl. wrote:
I still don't imagine Tachyon like that. I picture her as ultra hot. Like I'm straight, and I would still bang her. That's how hott she is. In my mind.

Lass wrote: This is a classic line. I think I'm going to add it to "Best Posts Evah." Laughing
Thread: http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=279669&highlight=hot#279669

Also, you posted this:
What about Bree? Does she count as a hot woman?

In this thread: http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=269606&highlight=hot#269606

And you also posted this:
Agreed. Based not just on the statement itself, but the look Jonas/Jackson gave when he said it.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting triangle? Jonas is hot for Daniel, but Daniel is hot for Bree. And Bree could be hot for . . . Jonas?

Here: http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252523&highlight=hot#252523

So how ridiculous would you like to get with this, Lass?

I love you, but this ax had to fall.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
I think those quiz and game threads generally belong in Off the Cuff. Most of them have been moved there and are doing quite well! However, it does get in the way of the spaciegirl thread! Wink Maybe that should be moved back to GTKEO...

What about Marbella's crusade for the playhouse? Games involve playing. There's got to be like 15 games on the first page of off the cuff. That's a lot of one thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: