Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This should go without saying...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calphilips
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by calphilips on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
covedweller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nora Volkova wrote:
To what purpose would a fan response video need to add "credibility" by using "authentic" locations?

isn't that entire reason 50% of the users here give CiW credibility and refuse to acknowledge it as FAN FICTION, regardless of what the LG15 creators say?
calphilips
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by calphilips on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

covedweller wrote:
Nora Volkova wrote:
To what purpose would a fan response video need to add "credibility" by using "authentic" locations?

isn't that entire reason 50% of the users here give CiW credibility and refuse to acknowledge it as FAN FICTION, regardless of what the LG15 creators say?

This seems to suggest that the purpose might be to subvert LG15 fans and increase the level of distrust in the community.

And actually, asking for forgiveness instead of permission carries the great potential for angering the storytellers. I don't think that is beneficial to the community either.
slacker
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why you are being so vague. You seem to be saying that you might have wanted to make your own fanfic videos using the house you located. Now you're feeling cheated because the Creators are not okay with you visiting the house or talking to the owner. Is that what you're alluding to?

calphilips wrote:
Keep in mind the popularity of Cassieiswatching, and you may get my point. The credibility came from Location, Location, Location..
My big mistake seems to have been asking permission..
The saying goes "It's better to ask forgiveness that to ask permission"

calphilips
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by calphilips on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calphilips wrote:
Well, reference is made to Bree's brother, and the like..
it's just because I have been made in some circles to be a "villain" I can't even return to the Park without feeling like I'm intruding.
Just wanted some input..

/me steps out of moderator mode

(My personal thoughts and feelings are not those of this board or it's administrator or moderators.)

I don't see you as villain, just someone who is excited to share some "secret" knowledge about the creators or this series that you think you've found. You're behaving like a gloryhound, and nothing more. I easily discovered the name, location, and phone numbers of numerous individuals involved and uninvolved in this series. Lonesomeoctober, the creators, cassieiswatching, et al. Why? To satisfy my own curiosity that I could find them. Nothing more, which is why I have't discussed it here or anywhere else. (Side Note: I was surprised, and glad, to see how LonesomeOctober outed himself. Jumps the Shark was a great ending, and he's probably gained numerous fans interested in his new direction.)

You seem to want some type of "credit" directly from the creators for something unique that you've done, but it likely isn't coming. Yes, you found the house, and you're excited about it. Congratulations. For just $9.95 we could find anyone's house, phone number, and entire credit history with just the tiniest bit of information about them. If you work or spend a lot of time on the net it just isn't new information, and the novelty wore off when LG15 came out, which interestingly would never have occurred without someone on the inside releasing the information. (CiW isn't going to make that mistake.) Silicon found their information in an "anonymous" comment posted on tmz.com, which is the only reason they found Jessica Rose.

After reading your posts it is clear to me that you aren't really interested in this series or where it is going. You're simply pushing buttons, which to me translates to attention seeking. Rolling Eyes

I pray you do actually become interested in LG15 or CiW. It's fun, and there are a lot of interesting people to meet. The fans are sometimes more interesting than the series! Shocked

My ten cents.

/me steps back into moderator mode
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident

Last edited by ravensgrace on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Terryfic
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us for a moment, compare the CiW vids with the LG15 vids to see if we can find some differences as to which ones invite people to go the locations they’re shot at and which don’t. Both the CiW vids include the phrase “come and get it” this is a clear invitation to go to this location and “get” something. Such invitations have never been included in a LG15 video, in fact, all people involved have asked people not to go to the locations. There is no reason to, you have not been asked to, you have been directly asked not to. Please respect that. Thank you.
dlruss0216
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosquelito wrote:
The distrust of the mods is something that can be remedied.

A slightly off topic question...

When Twjaniak was made a moderator, it was by popular vote. I appreciated that the Admin's asked us who we would like to moderate the board. Same holds for Ravensgrace.

I'm noticing that Slacker is a mod, and I've noticed someone else too (can't remember their name) and I don't recall voting on him being a moderator. Am I right?

I'm not being bitchy here, or saying Slacker shouldn't be a moderator, far from it, but rather just confused. Rolling Eyes

Thanks!
dlruss0216
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravensgrace wrote:
Silicon found their information in an "anonymous" comment posted on tmz.com, which is the only reason they found Jessica Rose.

Interesting info Raven, as I never knew this. Do you have a link to the specific page at TMZ? I must have totally missed this too, since I check out TMZ every day for the good celeb trash stuff Wink
covedweller

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nora Volkova wrote:
covedweller wrote:
Nora Volkova wrote:

This seems to suggest that the purpose might be to subvert LG15 fans and increase the level of distrust in the community.

I think the Creators distancing themselves from CiW while giving it boardspace and allowing its NY Times mention did plenty for that already! Laughing

Since NO ONE is officially doing CiW, ANY ONE could be doing it, or any other LG15-related video by using the same template.

The Creators pimping CiW here while saying it's not them pretty much makes it okay for any other anonymous party to go and shoot video in locations used in LG15 videos in an effort to create confusion and make it seem official. That is CiW did. Their knowledge of locations even convinced the New York Times it was officially linked.

If that bothers you or the Creators, they should not REWARD Cassie Is Watching in this fashion.

If CiW is really an independent fan production, then it's a bad move to call it out above the rest when it's fan popularity was ENTIRELY built on this confusion COMBINED with the knowledge of LG15 REAL WORLD locations.

With that in mind, does it really shock you that others would attempt to do exactly the same thing? Especially since the LG15 Creators vaguely said that ARG elements are on the way?

The new CiW sized fan creation that appears legit will be assumed as even more legit, since the Creators got us all watching for them to introduce their own ARG elements.

The LG15 creators, admins, and us as a community should stop trying to have it both ways.
Hodabes
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods, the problem that is frustrating so many of us is that you say two things very clearly:

1.) We do not have any information that you are not aware of.

2.) We are right and you are wrong.

This has nothing to do with "the house", it just happened to come up in that conversation. It's a much wider problem that has been around for much longer.

If this is a fan community where the moderators are simply trusted members of that community, then there should be absolutely no difference between us, save for your ability to move threads and post stickies to help all of us keep the forums more organized. We will naturally be put off by the matter-of-factness, and often the arrogance with which you sometimes speak to us.

Regular members of this forum often present themselves in the same way, but it's an entirely different animal when the mods do it. The fact that you are moderators obligates you to a degree of restraint in how you respond to the rest of us. If you are not above us, you have to make the effort to show that. Diplomacy is part of the job.

I'm not at all angry with any of you, I'm just frustrated with this one glaring problem that it appears you cannot see from our perspective. If you can see it, the defensive responses to these concerns only worsens the problem.
Terryfic
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlruss0216 wrote:
bosquelito wrote:
The distrust of the mods is something that can be remedied.

A slightly off topic question...

When Twjaniak was made a moderator, it was by popular vote. I appreciated that the Admin's asked us who we would like to moderate the board. Same holds for Ravensgrace.

I'm noticing that Slacker is a mod, and I've noticed someone else too (can't remember their name) and I don't recall voting on him being a moderator. Am I right?

I'm not being bitchy here, or saying Slacker shouldn't be a moderator, far from it, but rather just confused. Rolling Eyes

Thanks!

I will try answer your question with a little bit of history.

Since I had been a fan since pretty much the birth of the original forum when this board was first upgraded I was ask to be one of the first moderators. The admin must have thought I had a good head on my shoulders, or perhaps he was just charmed by my video, regardless he thought I was trustworthy enough to represent him at the board. The next two moderators HyeMew and Nora were selected based on my recommendations. I had befriend both of them during my time discussing LG15 at the old forum and at Alissa’s board.

As time went by the Admin eventually decided that it would be useful to have a co-administrator to help keep this board running smoothly. Again, I was asked if I would be interested in this position. It was also at this time that I noticed that many of the posters in the Other Videos and Accounts section had grown to distrust the current moderators for some reason. So, I decided that posters may be more comfortable if one of them was made a moderator. I started the thread in which I ask you to vote who you would desire to look after that section. To be honest, I was a little nervous about installing a moderator whom I did not have a long standing relationship with, but I felt this act was necessary to try and keep the forum content. Obviously, my fears turned out to be unwarranted as the two mods that emerged from the vote have both been outstanding.

More recently, I have added Slacker and Senna to assist in moderating parts of this forum. This is because the board is beginning to grow and become more popular, so we felt a little more help would, well, help. They are also good friends which I have made via the old forum and Alissa’s board. All of the mods that were selected without a vote are people that I know and trust a great deal. They have spent countless hours discussing LG15 for many weeks and there are few people more quality, in my opinion, to help moderate the LG15 related sections on this board. The two mods that I did not select, have in fact, also turned out to be wonderful people and I look forward to adding them into my circle of LG15 based friends from which I selected the other mods.

In recap, the moderators that were select by vote were done so to try and remove any doubt that they were trying to trick posters or feed you disinformation*. In all honestly, I’m not sure I would consider this a total success as I still see posts accusing the elected mods of trying to deceive or mislead the board. The moderators that were selected by me are trusted friends that I know better than anyone else from this board, for the simple reason that they all predate this board. They are the people that I felt know the material the best, as well as possess all the other skills necessary to successfully moderator a forum.

*I really don’t know how this got started in the first place, but that is neither here nor there.
bosquelito
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodabes wrote:
If you are not above us, you have to make the effort to show that.

Maybe the mods are CiW!!!!

Shocked Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Laughing Crying or Very sad Shocked Question
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some of the misunderstandings come in over the nature of this site.

This is the official lonelygirl15 fansite. We are told that additional features will added in the coming weeks and months, and perhaps some confusion has crept in regarding those features. This forum is part and parcel of the official site for the interactive fiction lonelygirl15. As such, it isn't the exact equivalent of informal fansites like Anchor Cove or cassieiswatching.myfreeboard.com. The Mods, the Site Admin, and the LGPedia Mods form the staff of the site.

As such, the staff will occasionally be given genuine and bona fide instructors from the site owners -- Miles, Mesh and Greg, the creators and producers of lonelygirl15 -- regarding the nature of the ongoing production, especially with regard to what are its official components and what are not. To date, we have never been provided with actual plot spoilers, and we do not anticipate being made privy to that sort of information.

I cannot state it strongly enough that the Modstaff understand our first obligation is to respect the requests and directions we are given by the site owners. They make very few demands upon us. To my knowledge, the owners have been truthful and frank with their staff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> FanFic Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: