Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gemma Crowley
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Gemma Crowley Reply with quote

I'm sorry if this bothers me more than anyone else here, but over the last week I have seen at least 7 new people mention the Gemma Crowley videos and try to relate them to the plot. When told that it's FAN FICTION, many of these new fans do not believe the poster right away.

It bothers me because Plot Discussion, and now IN CHARACTER chat has turned into discussion about the series and how it relates to the storyline. It really bothers me to see 2 pages about it in the Taylor chat. It belongs in the fan fiction chat, but I guess the newer people don't realize to go there to talk about it???

Is there a way someone could sticky or place the announcement from the Gemma Crowley creator about it being fan fiction in a place newer members can easily access it? Like maybe in "New to Lonelygirl15?" or "Questions about Lonelygirl15".

I'm sorry if this is a stupid or petty request. It's just honestly driving me nuts that discussion of it is all over the forum, when it really belongs in Fan Fiction.
matsie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gemma Crowley Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
I'm sorry if this bothers me more than anyone else here, but over the last week I have seen at least 7 new people mention the Gemma Crowley videos and try to relate them to the plot. When told that it's FAN FICTION, many of these new fans do not believe the poster right away.

It bothers me because Plot Discussion, and now IN CHARACTER chat has turned into discussion about the series and how it relates to the storyline. It really bothers me to see 2 pages about it in the Taylor chat. It belongs in the fan fiction chat, but I guess the newer people don't realize to go there to talk about it???

Is there a way someone could sticky or place the announcement from the Gemma Crowley creator about it being fan fiction in a place newer members can easily access it? Like maybe in "New to Lonelygirl15?" or "Questions about Lonelygirl15".

I'm sorry if this is a stupid or petty request. It's just honestly driving me nuts that discussion of it is all over the forum, when it really belongs in Fan Fiction.

I completely agree. I'd actually never heard of the GemmaCrowley series until all these people kept bringing it up in the threads. I stay away from the fanfic because I want to follow the actual story and know what's happening instead of confusing story arcs with each other.

What bothers me the most is that the GemmaCrowley series is obviously fan created. Gemma's user handle was Gemmers19 and the Creators wouldn't change that so no confusion would arise. Blah.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is that we need rules when it comes to fan videos. You can't assume people will use common sense.

Here are a few suggestions:

1) Don't ever speak for a character you didn't create.

2) Don't pull a character into your story without collaborating with that character's creator. For example: it wouldn't be cool for iris to claim he killed Maddy.

3) Don't go creating a million accounts to promote your vids. I just PM a mod when I want someone to "discover" a new video.

4) Don't bump your own threads with your pseudonym accounts.

I'm all for self promotion and I appreciate that it sucks spending so much time creating characters, stories and vids and then feel like no one is watching or you're not getting feedback but there are better ways of going about it. For example- making an lgpedia and put it in your signature.

The redesign may take care of some of these issues but I'm sensing fan created vids are not high on the priority list-but that may be a rant for a different thread.
matsie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a semi-related note:

I stay far away from the "New Girl" section because it has all sorts of fan created stuff. Doesn't that go into the fan fic section or am I mistaken? It'd be different if these were legitimately "new girl" candidates, but instead it's the Flock, I think?

I have no problem with the fan created ARGs and fan fics and what-not, but I'd prefer it stayed in the fan created section to limit confusion regarding what is canon and what is not.
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, rules for fan videos would be very helpful.

And The New Girl section wasn't originally for fan fiction. But now that the plotline is done with it has become just to talk about the different fan fic girls (which includes the Flock). Someone asked for it to be moved and I don't remember what the response was to that.
matsie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
Yes, rules for fan videos would be very helpful.

And The New Girl section wasn't originally for fan fiction. But now that the plotline is done with it has become just to talk about the different fan fic girls (which includes the Flock). Someone asked for it to be moved and I don't remember what the response was to that.

Indeed. Some rules would be nice.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's hard to say. I've seen "itscassie is canon" and even "Cassieiswatching? canon?" threads popping up every now and then for ages. They will, as new fans discover them. Moving the Gemma Crowley creators' thread into different areas probably won't accomplish much unless you put it everywhere. And half the fun of LG15 fanfic is blurring the lines between reality and fanfic. The good thing is that the GC creator at least made his/her point clear.

But the announcement about fanfic might be better in another place. And I think a "Canon or non-Canon?" thread in the "New to LG15" forum would be a great idea...sort of like a FAQ for people who are unsure...
matsie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
You know, it's hard to say. I've seen "itscassie is canon" and even "Cassieiswatching? canon?" threads popping up every now and then for ages. They will, as new fans discover them. Moving the Gemma Crowley creators' thread into different areas probably won't accomplish much unless you put it everywhere. And half the fun of LG15 fanfic is blurring the lines between reality and fanfic. The good thing is that the GC creator at least made his/her point clear.

But the announcement about fanfic might be better in another place. And I think a "Canon or non-Canon?" thread in the "New to LG15" forum would be a great idea...sort of like a FAQ for people who are unsure...

I think that would be a great idea. But I definitely think there should be some rules put forth to make the distinction between fanfic and canon more visible.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matsie wrote:
I think that would be a great idea. But I definitely think there should be some rules put forth to make the distinction between fanfic and canon more visible.

That's true...maybe fan fiction creators can work out some guidelines, as immortal suggested. It wouldn't be binding, necessarily, but good suggestions for fanfic creators to follow. Maybe start something in In Development?
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matsie wrote:
On a semi-related note:

I stay far away from the "New Girl" section because it has all sorts of fan created stuff. Doesn't that go into the fan fic section or am I mistaken? It'd be different if these were legitimately "new girl" candidates, but instead it's the Flock, I think?

I have no problem with the fan created ARGs and fan fics and what-not, but I'd prefer it stayed in the fan created section to limit confusion regarding what is canon and what is not.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving the New Girl section in it's entirety down into to the LG15 Fan Creation Section.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
I wouldn't be opposed to moving the New Girl section in it's entirety down into to the LG15 Fan Creation Section.

I'd agree with that. I think we left it as long as possible to give the various creators as much leeway as possible and as much potential to fit into the storyline. Now that that's not happening any longer, it's probably time. I don't think it should diminish any of the great work that's been done there or take any emphasis away from the videos or the Flock! Smile
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:

I understand that the fun is the blurring of the lines between fan fiction and canon, but I guess it just got on my nerves because I saw it discussed in the in character chat where saying things like "ARG" and "canon" aren't appropriate.

I think a post like that would be helpful. Also some general rules or guidelines in the "In Development" section hopefully will help too Smile
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This annoys me too, but I don't know if there's any easy solution.

I do think that the creator of Gemma Crowley uses some questionable means of promoting his videos, but he has stated outright that his videos are not canon, and it wouldn't really be fair to him to treat him and his videos as being any different from any other fan-created works.
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOSG wrote:
This annoys me too, but I don't know if there's any easy solution.

I do think that the creator of Gemma Crowley uses some questionable means of promoting his videos, but he has stated outright that his videos are not canon, and it wouldn't really be fair to him to treat him and his videos as being any different from any other fan-created works.

Ah, I hope it didn't seem that I wanted his videos treated differently than other fan fiction. I had just hoped that there was a way to let newer members know that it's Fan fiction, because so many of them have been asking questions about it and using those videos to try to understand what is going on in the LG15 plot.

I think what BK suggested about a "Canon vs Non-canon" post would help, but you are right... there is no easy solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: