Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gemma Crowley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aponi
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libra wrote:
TOSG wrote:
This annoys me too, but I don't know if there's any easy solution.

I do think that the creator of Gemma Crowley uses some questionable means of promoting his videos, but he has stated outright that his videos are not canon, and it wouldn't really be fair to him to treat him and his videos as being any different from any other fan-created works.

Ah, I hope it didn't seem that I wanted his videos treated differently than other fan fiction. I had just hoped that there was a way to let newer members know that it's Fan fiction, because so many of them have been asking questions about it and using those videos to try to understand what is going on in the LG15 plot.

I think what BK suggested about a "Canon vs Non-canon" post would help, but you are right... there is no easy solution.

Well I know the creator of GemmaCrowely says they are fanfiction, but I don't think people know that unless they come here, and sometimes they miss the posts, etc. But it doesn't help when they upload offical LG15 vids to thier channel on youtube when people are already thinking it's canon with no mention that it isn't there on purpose. Mr. Park Ranger was uploaded to acrowleyorder on youtube with the official description, and no mention that it was only on there because the Creators hadn't uploaded it to youtube.
I agree, there needs to be rules. And something like that should be against the rules, in my personal opinion.

Also, maybe the Flock could have thier own little 'arg' section where Maddy and facility J are? I don't know if they really qualify as a ARG though, more like fanfiction. Smile
My LG15 Vid
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aponi wrote:
But it doesn't help when they upload offical LG15 vids to thier channel on youtube when people are already thinking it's canon with no mention that it isn't there on purpose. Mr. Park Ranger was uploaded to acrowleyorder on youtube with the official description, and no mention that it was only on there because the Creators hadn't uploaded it to youtube.
I agree, there needs to be rules. And something like that should be against the rules, in my personal opinion.

Agreed completely - that's the kind of shady stuff that I was talking about. People should be trying to attract attention by putting forth quality creations, and not by insinuating some mysterious connection to the Creators or to canon characters. Sadly, while probably the most egregious perpatrator of the latter, Gemma Crowley is far from the only one who does it.
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder to anyone that ever is confused by what is canon and what is not, we have an amazing onsite resource of which countless hours have gone into; the lgpedia.

It is in an easy wikipedia style format, literally everything you'd need to know about lg15 is in there. So curious about the differences between Gemmers and Gemma? Look it up. Find that you are missing the info, point it out and people will jump at the opportunity to write an article for it.

♥ Danielle
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Libra
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aponi wrote:

Well I know the creator of GemmaCrowely says they are fanfiction, but I don't think people know that unless they come here, and sometimes they miss the posts, etc. But it doesn't help when they upload offical LG15 vids to thier channel on youtube when people are already thinking it's canon with no mention that it isn't there on purpose. Mr. Park Ranger was uploaded to acrowleyorder on youtube with the official description, and no mention that it was only on there because the Creators hadn't uploaded it to youtube.

Also, maybe the Flock could have thier own little 'arg' section where Maddy and facility J are? I don't know if they really qualify as a ARG though, more like fanfiction. Smile

I didn't want to come right out and say it, but the reason why Gemma Crowley bothers me more than other fan fictions that people ask about is because of their methods of promoting themselves. When they uploaded "Mr Park Ranger" I saw people saying "Why did they put this video on Gemma's account??". People really don't see that they aren't canon and I was hoping to figure out a way for people to more easily see that they are not part of the LG15 storyline so we can cut down on the discussion of their plotlines in places where it doesn't belong.

I still think rules would be a good idea, but I'm not sure if people like that would actually follow them. People who upload LG15 videos to their own accounts obviously have no respect for the Creators copyrighted material, so what would make them follow community rules about fan fiction?

TOSG is right though, Gemma Crowley isn't the only one who is guilty of the things we talk about here. It's just the most recent one, and it's really bothering me to see their plotlines discussed everywhere BUT the fanfiction section where it belongs.

And the Flock isn't an ARG. BK said the New Girl stuff could be moved to the fanfiction section.

The LGpedia is a wonderful thing and everyone here appreciates the time that went into it. The problem is that newer people might not realize that the answers to their questions can be easily found there. But thanks for that reminder Danielle.
silverblue
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't help when the characters EricaCrowley and GemmaCrowley say that they know of/have known canon characters... eg. the new Isaac Gilman in this thread.

Like, we know him, but it might not be him, maybe it was him, maybe not. But we know stuff! Really, we do!

They're "in character" in discussion threads, implying that they might have some inside knowledge (though nothing is actually stated) -- it would definitely confuse me if I didn't know they weren't canon.

I don't enjoy criticising (and I rarely do), but it all really does annoy me. Confused
impulse
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to feel that way about GemmaCrowley. I have been really bothered by their methods: pretending to be someone they're not, using a character created by someone else, spamming the forums, using multiple accounts and generating major confusion for a lot of people who think what's in their vids is bible truth.

Creating a spinoff or a fanfic related to the Breeniverse is a great way to explore possibilities parallel to the main story and play around the series we love. It was encouraged by the Creators, btw. But there is a difference between playing around and invading the playground.

I'm having fun creating a series these days. I can say that the temptation to get close to the series is real (however, anyone here knows about the Cassie Curse which is just the LG15 version of the myth of Icarus) and I think it's part of the fun (in my case I'm trying play around a series that doesn't even exist yet. Yeah I know, I'm dumb!), but I'm really careful in respecting these basic rules we're discussing here. Most people do. But some are just abusing the lack of rules.
TOSG
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Libra's, Silverblue's, and Impulse's criticisms of Gemma Crowley's tactics are right on the mark.

But I think that all we can really do about it is to ignore his posts and videos, and hope that he goes away, or starts creating and promoting his fan fiction in a more ethical manner.
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh btw, it totally looks like I'm defending the tactics, but I'm not.

Confusing the fanbase is no way to run an ARG.

♥Dani
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
flychiqk
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Libra Wrote:

Ah, I hope it didn't seem that I wanted his videos treated differently than other fan fiction. I had just hoped that there was a way to let newer members know that it's Fan fiction, because so many of them have been asking questions about it and using those videos to try to understand what is going on in the LG15 plot.

I think what BK suggested about a "Canon vs Non-canon" post would help, but you are right... there is no easy solution.

Agreed. It is definitely more than annoying( not to mention frsutrating) when a discussion board conversation gets blurred by fanfic information. We need a fix for that.....I think a" canon v non-canon" post would be helpful...Or maybe the LG15 site could include a warning about fanfic in the registration confirmation email....or at least maybe direct new people to the lgpedia fafic topic....at any rate something has to be done.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverblue wrote:
It doesn't help when the characters EricaCrowley and GemmaCrowley say that they know of/have known canon characters... eg. the new Isaac Gilman in this thread.

Like, we know him, but it might not be him, maybe it was him, maybe not. But we know stuff! Really, we do!

They're "in character" in discussion threads, implying that they might have some inside knowledge (though nothing is actually stated) -- it would definitely confuse me if I didn't know they weren't canon.

I don't enjoy criticising (and I rarely do), but it all really does annoy me. Confused

That was the apparent victim of a merge and has now been split off.
JustAnotherLonelyGirl.
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's annoying that GC is using Gemma.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnotherLonelyGirl. wrote:
I just think it's annoying that GC is using Gemma.

The Creators gave their ok to Gemma being used in fan-created fiction. That doesn't mean it's less confusing, but I just wanted to throw that out there.
consideration
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a blow out with GC in Spencer chat last night, and it really wasn't pretty. I'm just fed up with their actions. I can't stand how they post in OOG sections of the forum and even though the PM has stated that they are fan fiction, the characters continually are running around promoting themselves as the real thing. It is confusing and it is very annoying.
Aponi
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this Erica person that's now tied in with it isn't exactly a bundle of joy either.

I've found many of her posts very offensive.
My LG15 Vid
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't GemmaCrowley and company take place in a parallel universe. This allows them to make false claims and get away with it. If this is the case, how can they interact with characters from this universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: