Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Response to "Forum Rule Update: moderators actions"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left this thread open before retiring for the evening because it started as a civil discourse. I would have hoped more people would be willing to discuss the the matter in a civil fashion and take the time to seriously consider the underlying issues. While some have, others have sadly gone straight into attack mode, underscoring the reasons for the change.

I volunteered to take on this new role with the understanding that I would remain completely neutral with regard to personal disputes. I take that very seriously.

I am merely a first line of reporting to be called on before matters escalate into flame wars. I will personally escalate these matters internally and seek appropriate resolution. Before this change, there were concerns that there seemed to be no procedure in place to deal with issues. Now there is. Like everything else, modifications can be made as we proceed, if warranted.
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its weird how this thread and curious george's absurdist poll thread appear to be converging.

everyone posting in this thread is a forum "heavyweight" who will be able to get their voice heard if they ever feel wronged.

newbies and those less engaged don't seem to be going nuts over the new policy. while i loved renegade's post last night about fascism, i think we are going to be okay.
Renegade
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
- Renegade, there is no favoritism here. This thread was left because I was asleep and other moderators did not remove it. The discussion started quite civilly and on a general scale from QtheC.

Are you implying I wasn't civil enough?
I thought I had proven conclusively that "fascism" was indeed a correct characterization of the situation, no matter how serious I ment it or it sounds?

Broken Kid wrote:
A moderator cannot do their job if they are constantly worried about fans piling on and calling them out without knowing even a portion of the facts.

If a moderator has done his job right, he has nothing to fear. In a worst case scenario, a higher instance (you) would just ban the people groundlessly accusing other users for flaming.
But as it is, even those with founded complaints are criminalized.

Every time you score a goal, a starving child in Africa dies.
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
Thanks for agreeing, spacie, but perhaps I should explain myself a little more before you agree too wholeheartedly Wink

I understand where the new policy comes from. A certain moderator tends to be a bit old-school and gets misunderstood. One of my first interactions with this person was a misunderstanding. But the misunderstanding was quickly resolved and all was good. However, a vocal group here seems to complain about said moderator on a semi-regular basis. Broken Kid rightly stands behind his moderators. Conversation degrades into flamewars. Threads are locked. People get more upset because their thread was locked. People complain about said locked thread.

The way I see it, IMHO, this new policy is meant to short-circuit that and save us all the flames. I don't think it'll work for a couple of reasons. First, people will ignore the new policy and enforcement will be seen as uneven. Second, people will just find other things to start flamewars over...

What's I find appalling is that many of the conversations have value up until the point that they devolve into flamewars. Plus, there's a chilling effect. If this speech is banned here, what's next?

'mute

I still agree. I do understand the theory behind this rule..but seriously, it is basically still banning speech. And while I, personally, take issue wih banning even "inappropriate or offensive" speech, as BK knows..this is far worse. This is banning any speech that is a "complaint" even if it is valid, civil, well thought out..etc...all things it "should" be. That's extremely dangerous territory and I honestly don't think all the explaining and logical thought in the world can justify such actions. I'm sorry if anyone felt my previous post was an attack..or that it was not constructive..I just didn't explain my point. It wasn't an attack. Deleting it implies that it was, which of course is quite irritating to me, but that's another story.

As 'mute said, I don't really think the desired effect is going to occur with this rule either. I think it will backfire. Even it were to work, is it worth the price?
ETA: There's just something inherantly shady and suspicious about hiding or deleting every single mod issue that is brought up...even if it's totally innocent. There's no reason to hide something unless there's a reason to hide it. It's pretty simple.

Last edited by spaciegirlreturn on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, i'm getting more and more flustered with the situation.

We're discussing the situation, what seems to be the reason for this situation, and how it could be bettered. If it sound like we're attacking, we're mad. We're angry. We're pissed the hell off. So yes, our words are are going to sound that way. But don't think we're attacking.

We're point out, just another fault and mistake. It's not that we are bashing. All we're saying is that this is jsut another fault within the web site that needs to be discussed and rethought about.

eta: spacie is absolutely right. the backlash has already begun, and it's going to hit hard in the end. It's a vicious cycle yes, but it's one that can be handle in a more respectable mature, OPEN manner then the way we have handled it in the past.
I mean honestly the whole HyeMew sthreads definitely could ahve been handled better.
And especially with this new dictation following it, what do you expect out of us?

Seriously though, I'm quoting BK what I say this "This forum is a democracy."
Don't you think, under that quote, this new rule is a complete and utter disgrace to what we've built this forum on?

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
QtheC
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question for everyone thinking about issues of moderation is this...

What is your solution that addresses the needs of the entire community, users and moderators alike, in a fair and reasonable way, benefitting everyone?

In your solution, what is the path for resolution of conflicts? How does it work? ('Resolution' does not mean that everyone agrees in the end, but one hopes it means a degree of communication and fairness are included on the way to a decision.)

Also, I hope there will be more clarity about distinguishing between discussion of specific "moderator actions" when they occur vs. more general discussion and visibility of "moderator policy."
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QtheC wrote:
My question for everyone thinking about issues of moderation is this...

What is your solution that addresses the needs of the entire community, users and moderators alike, in a fair and reasonable way, benefitting everyone?

The recent change in policy will benefit everyone. As has been noted, I recently made a post here attacking a specific issue with a mod. As a former moderator myself, I knew it was wrong to do so. I essentially assassinated my own character by doing so. This new policy will prevent others from behaving in a similarly self-destructive way.

The new policy is also both fair and reasonable. The Creators own this site. They don't try to censor their critics. But they have taken an important step here in maintaining the authority and dignity of their volunteer moderators.
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution:

Address the issue in public. State what the issue was, where it stemmed from and your possible resolution.
Open a clear dialog with people about your resolution.
If you do this in private, post in the forum that you are discussing the resolution and post the general idea of the PM in the forum.
Once time has passed and a general idea has been built of what should be done, fit it to the forum etiquette and rules.

Like we did with the flame wars thread back two months ago. We posted a problem, Bk posted what he understood was the problem, purposed a solution, and we discussed it. That work amazingly! There have been very little problems of flaming since then.

To have this forum work well, there must be a clear open dialog, and since the flame war thread, I haven't seen much of that concerning issues that have been discussed in this specific forum. I've heard "This issue is being addressed in private. I will close this thread now," and that is about it.
That isn't fair to some of the people who are a part of the issue, but don't know what is going on. There is no closure, seems to be no consequence and just a lack of respect to our issues.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
This new policy will prevent others from behaving in a similarly self-destructive way.

Oh...so it's saving us from ourselves? Am I the only one that thinks that's sort of treating us like children? I mean isn't this kind of like telling people they can't question authority? like...making it a law that you can't sue the police department or any member of it? I know that's dramatic and oversimplified, but I don't understand why we should think this type of rule is kosher.
silverblue
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:
newbies and those less engaged don't seem to be going nuts over the new policy.

I am definitely not anything close to a "heavyweight" on this forum, and I tend to stay quiet even when I'm not happy about something that happens on the forum... someone else usually feels the same, and expresses it here more articulately than I think I could.

That said, I'll add my two cents for once... but don't worry, I won't be "going nuts". Rolling Eyes

I do not like the idea of this new policy. Not being allowed to constructively criticise each other (including moderators) and discuss, as a group, when we're not happy about an action taken doesn't sound healthy to me.

I can understand moderators not wanting to be criticised, and they should never, ever be abused... but I think that in group discussions, people who wouldn't normally speak up (like me, until recently) are likely to feel more inclined to express their opinion on matters. I see it all the time in group therapy sessions. Open dialogue, and being able to discuss problems with each other, is important for healthy relationships... and I think, probably makes for a happier and healthier forum.

And that's me out. Embarassed
wintermute
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to clarify a couple of things about my position.

First and foremost, I support whatever policies that the moderators and Creators put in place. You'd think otherwise from an initial reading from my entry into this debate Wink A couple of my comments were off-the-cuff, heat-of-the-moment type of comments without a whole lot of thought before reacting. This policy is meant to help with that Wink

Second, after further reflection, I doubt the new policy will have any effect on any civil discourse such as the flame war thread or this one.

Yes, as it stands, this policy could be abused. But the powers to abuse this, and other, policy are inherent in the software that drives this forum. I think the mods have a good track record of not abusing things up until this point, so I do not fear that they'll start.

What this does do is delegate some of BK's duties to Trainer. It also gives the moderators explicit permission to squash any flamewars related to moderation complaints. It also gives the users an official recourse should that happen, as I doubt a moderator is going to stand against another moderator in a public forum, regardless of how (s)he personally feels. In private, that's a whole different situation.

'mute

'vote 'mute in '16!
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wintermute wrote:
What this does do is delegate some of BK's duties to Trainer. It also gives the moderators explicit permission to squash any flamewars related to moderation complaints. It also gives the users an official recourse should that happen, as I doubt a moderator is going to stand against another moderator in a public forum, regardless of how (s)he personally feels. In private, that's a whole different situation.

'mute

This is very true. We are not trying to quash public debate over just anything; we're just trying to keep the public flamewars over moderator actions - most of which end up having little to do with the original concern - from resulting in the bashing of moderators and the reduction of their ability to do their job. This is not a direct response to the recent discussion of a particular moderator; rather, it's because virtually every thread about a moderator action turns into bashing the moderators. This cannot happen if a moderator is going to do their job.

As 'mute points out, if action needs to be taken against a moderator, we have a process in place to do that, a better process in my opinion than before. Trainer is a point of contact before going to the admin. If actions have to be taken, they would be taken privately, not publicly.

QtheC called for clarification, and I will be happy to tweak the rules to specify how such issues will be handled. But to silverblue's comment, note that this is not moderators not wanting to be criticized. It's just finding the appropriate method for constructively discussing a moderator's action while preventing the rapid and often inflammatory comments that are quick to follow.

Thank you to everyone who is constructively discussing this issue!
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are not trying to quash public debate

But banning public acknowledgement of faults witin the moderator system and the moderators them selves does exactly that.

If every thread i nthe end turns into moderator bashing, there is usually a reason for it, and I've stated that reason BK. When ever we address an issue with a Moderator, our issue gets blown off but yourself, or other moderators.
What I've suggested is not to blow it off, but to actually adress it civilly so we can resolve it.

spaciegirlreturn
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silencing "bashing" is one thing..which quite frankly I haven't seen oh so much of, but silencing any and all public criticism is another. Why not just reserve the right to lock a thread once it has turned into bashing. I'm not seeing the validity at all.

Really, what's with the whole deleting aspect, in general? What good does that do? Locking and moving things to the rubbish bin isn't enough? It's just really odd to me that you'd have to totally erase stuff if there's nothing to hide.
Laurin_B
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaciegirlreturn wrote:
Silencing "bashing" is one thing..which quite frankly I haven't seen oh so much of, but silencing any and all public criticism is another. Why not just reserve the right to lock a thread once it has turned into bashing. I'm not seeing the validity at all.

I concur. I think the inherent democracy of the internet is violated when we create rules against public debate. I think a firm policy against flaming and mod-bashing is a suitable alternative, as long as it is strictly adhered to and no favoritism is shown at all.
bebo.com/LaurinB myspace.com/laurin_b
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: