Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously, creators, do we need that cliché?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suze900
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My friends and I joke all the time that we have no lives and will go out to eat and talk science. Then we laugh at the people around us just staring.

Nursing students and med students are the worst. Everyone would get up and move away from us because the stuff we were talking about while eating was so gross Twisted Evil
cup o' noodles
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, just let it GO! C'mon, it's NOT a big deal at all. People that like science aren't the only people that are made fun of, everyone has to deal with it, so just shut up. I'm tried of trying to be nice. I mean Jesus Christ, this is just lame now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hayles99
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think spencer is really cute... and i dont think he came off all that nerdy, he seems fairly normal to me.

I think you're being really sensitive right now... and pretty judgemental. Everything you said about him was negative. I think he's a great new character, and im really excited to see some more of his vlogs.... but seriously, if you want to B^&*& and moan about something, why not petition the creators for some more racial diversity on the show.
Beckers
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cup o' noodles wrote:
Please, just let it GO! C'mon, it's NOT a big deal at all. People that like science aren't the only people that are made fun of, everyone has to deal with it, so just shut up. I'm tried of trying to be nice. I mean Jesus Christ, this is just lame now.

lol.. for sure
People need to lighten up. You can be offended by everything if you wanted...lol
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suze900 wrote:
Quote:
My friends and I joke all the time that we have no lives and will go out to eat and talk science. Then we laugh at the people around us just staring.

Nursing students and med students are the worst. Everyone would get up and move away from us because the stuff we were talking about while eating was so gross Twisted Evil

we are pharmacy students and about to start anatomy so I'm sure we'll get that too soon Wink
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so much concerned about myself here. I don't really think I'm nerdy in any way, and I don't have any real problems in my life. I'm sure you wouldn't identify me as somebody who competed in national and international science and math olympiads a couple of years ago if you met me on the street. But I know that I often get a lot of funny reactions when I tell people. I mean, when I was 14 my grandma kept calling my mum about how she was ever so worried that I will never find a good boyfriend if I kept reading math books (Please note that I am not a particularly unattractive person as far as I can see and that I've had my regular share of boyfriends since then). Most of the time I just don't unless I know somebody well. I don't particularly like hiding that part of myself but it's just what you have to do if you want to get on well with "normal" people (I'm not saying that everyone would have that cliché in mind, but some do). And I'm also thinking along other lines here, namely that teens might be put off getting interested in science by the message they see everywhere: Scientists are weird people who don't ever get laid.

About the people who think Spencer is attractive: He is cute in a way and attractiveness of course is in the eye of the beholder, but he is not exactly a ladykiller or somebody who would be considered a beau in mainstream attractiveness rating. The unattractiveness mainly comes from the way he moves and is styled.

About other issues that are not good in the series: Yes, there may be other problems. I have seen the "only whites" discussion and I agree that it would be good if this would be more balanced. I actually wouldn't have noticed the problem myself because I come from a country where the vast majority of the population is white, but I agree that since the series is in the US there should be more racial diversity. But that doesn't mean we can't address any other problems, too.

cup of noodles: If you don't like the topic, just move along. But don't start insulting people just because you can't come up with an argument anymore.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika wrote:
And I'm also thinking along other lines here, namely that teens might be put off getting interested in science by the message they see everywhere: Scientists are weird people who don't ever get laid.

The scientists I know get more sex than "normal" people lol

but if kids want to get turned away let them. That means that they truly don't want to do it in the first place.

*shrugs*
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
Annika wrote:
And I'm also thinking along other lines here, namely that teens might be put off getting interested in science by the message they see everywhere: Scientists are weird people who don't ever get laid.

but if kids want to get turned away let them. That means that they truly don't want to do it in the first place.

*shrugs*
Agreed, Kelly. If your true passion in life is so easily swayed by a character on a show, then it wasn't your true passion in life.

In my line of work, the stereotypes aren't that you are a dork or nerdy or unable to get laid. Boys who are dancers are automatically gay. And while we know that isn't true, it is a stereotype that is perpetuated by society. And those who really love dance don't care.

So kids that really love science and math won't care. They will follow their hearts and do what they want with their lives, not let this change their path.
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt want a scientist who didn't want to do that in the first place.

same with anyone in the medical field. It needs to be a passion.
Absynth
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a science geek myself (chemistry/ biology pre-med, I am working as a chemist ATM) i gotta say that I actually thought Spencer was my friend that I had for some of my classes last year. It turned out not to be him, but my lab partner looked and acted exactly like this guy. I think he's perfect. Also, you gotta remember that hes playing a character, if the Creatorz want to tell him to act like that, let them. He made us LOL (when the webcam fell down I spit coffee all over the place).

If youre not happy, nobody's asking you to watch the vids, its your decision. I couldn't stand Jonas at first, and I flamed him on the boards constantly, but then he grew on me (no, not like that). Now I see what it is he brings to the series and I can deal with him. I'm sorry if he doesn't live up to your standards of what a scientific geek should look like, but you gotta remember this is a supergeek, not just your average geek here. Wink

ETA:
Kellylen wrote:

AMEN!!! Embarassed
One of the Cloudmakers
http://www.cloudmakers.org/guide/index3.shtml
Currently trying to crack the Publius Enigma

Last edited by Absynth on Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absynth wrote:
as a science geek myself (chemistry/ biology pre-med, I am working as a chemist ATM) i gotta say that I actually thought Spencer was my friend that I had for some of my classes last year. It turned out not to be him, but my lab partner looked and acted exactly like this guy. I think he's perfect. Also, you gotta remember that hes playing a character, if the Creatorz want to tell him to act like that, let them. He made us LOL (when the webcam fell down I spit coffee all over the place).

If youre not happy, nobody's asking you to watch the vids, its your decision. I couldn't stand Jonas at first, and I flamed him on the boards constantly, but then he grew on me (no, not like that). Now I see what it is he brings to the series and I can deal with him. I'm sorry if he doesn't live up to your standards of what a scientific geek should look like, but you gotta remember this is a supergeek, not just your average geek here. Wink

ETA:
Ziola wrote:

AMEN!!! Embarassed

psst i said that not Z Wink
Absynth
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack, I just erased the wrong part LOL my bad, fixing it ASAP Very Happy
One of the Cloudmakers
http://www.cloudmakers.org/guide/index3.shtml
Currently trying to crack the Publius Enigma
Beckers
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika
Because of the school I go to I get labled as a Nerdy Hippy from Toronto instantly so I feel your pain. When in fact i'm not.
If people don't want to be around you because your smart or into a certain subject, why bother?
I think the cliche could have been a lot worse.
It could have easily been a skinny lanky guy with black glasses and tape between the eyes with his hair slicked back and wearing busniess-like un-stylish clothing.
This is not what I saw and in my mind Spencer seems like an average 22 year old boy/man who has an average/well paying job.
truncatedslinky
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Spencer is cuter than Jonas. AND, as Becker said, he didn't portray many of the ridiculous stereotypes "nerds" get: no pocket protector, no Star Trek tie, no lisp, no braces/retainer/mouth breathing. Not even glasses.

And as for the awkwardness, a lot of people are awkward in their first vlog (I mean look at Bree's first video, and Daniel wouldn't even respond to the camera). I actually thought he was funny, and I think that his character left the messing around with the camera in the finished video because he thought it was funny too. Plus, he wanted to emphasize the fact that it was his first vlog.
eucebo
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truncatedslinky wrote:
I think Spencer is cuter than Jonas.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Applause *clearing the tears* you're funny, hahahah....
Shhhhhhhhhh *sigh* *swoon*
-------
www.myspace.com/outoftears
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Spencer All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: