Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously, creators, do we need that cliché?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Seriously, creators, do we need that cliché? Reply with quote

I've been watching LG15 for a while, and I really like the series so far although I've kept rather quiet on the forums.

However, the introduction of Spencer made me frown more than a little.

I really liked the fact that Bree used to be an intelligent girl with an interest in science who is still portrayed sympathetic and attractive. Well, we haven't seen any interest of her in science in a looong time now, but that's OK, there have been more important topics in the plot of course.

But now that Spencer character is exactly the cliche of what people are imagining science geeks to be like. He's extremely weird, rather unattractive, has a very weird body language and his facial expressions irritate a lot. He's awkward, can't talk properly and is very self-conscious. And it's obvious that this is no coincidence, it's because that's what the creators expect a scientist (a fully-fledged scientist, not some 16 year old girl who might have an interest in popular science) to be like.

For most of the last 7 years, ever since I have started developping an very strong liking and put a lot of effort in science I have encountered that kind of prejudice and cliché at age 14. Which is just NOT TRUE AT ALL. Please, don't make this idea grow even stronger in people's heads. Don't make them ridicule scientifically interested kids. Don't discourage children and teens from getting interested in science, and don't give those who already are a bad feeling about themselves.
At least tone Spencer down a little.

Thanks for listening! Smile
cup o' noodles
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, they're not saying all scientists are like that. Spencer just happens to be nerdy and dorky. It's just the character. They're not grouping scientists and saying "Look, this is Spencer, he's a scientist, he nerdy. All scientists are like him." They're just making a character.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course they're not saying it explicitly. But it's just no coincidence that Spencer is like that. And practically all the scientists you see portrayed anywhere are like that.
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I kind of like this Spencer character. The awkward handling of the camera, the frustration, etc. It would have been more nerdy if he did like a Star Wars spoof.

They are keeping him at just a good level of awkward.
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw you (Danielle) joking in another topic that we can be sure that he's a virgin. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about here.
cup o' noodles
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika wrote:
I saw you (Danielle) joking in another topic that we can be sure that he's a virgin. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about here.

It's just that. She was JOKING!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly. Joking. Making fun of people. That's what science kids have to deal with every day. Do we need it here, too?
suze900
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, exactly. Joking. Making fun of people. That's what science kids have to deal with every day. Do we need it here, too?

Most clichés have a little bit of truth to them, and I agree that stereotypes are annoying. However, my experience with science kids (and I've spent time in both the "science nerd" and "popular kid" groups, so I have some perspective on both) is that they can be as intolerant, conformist, and unkind, in their own way, as the jock/prep/cheerleader kids.
Annika
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, science kids can be assholes too of course. Just as cheerleaders and anybody else. I don't really see how that changes anything?
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika, while I understand where you're coming from, I think that each of the characters in lonelygirl15 perpetuate a stereotype to some degree, and Spencer is no different. Bree is the sheltered young girl. Daniel is the best friend who secretly likes her. Jonas is the rich kid with no motivation in life. All these characters started out in cliché roles and have grown and changed throughout the course of the series. Spencer will no doubt be the same way.

And personally, I think Spencer is adorable.
Beckers
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika wrote:

If you wanna go this route...what about the other predudices you could pick out in the show? Sarah is sexual so she not that smart? Taylor is supposed to be the smart one and therefore not sexual. What about the fact that Dannyboy gets distracted by every beautiful woman he sees...does that mean all men are like that? And how about the fact that there has never been one person on this series who was not white. I agree with someone else's comment....they are making characters, bottom line and if you wanna start knit-picking you can find more and larger problems than spencer the scientist being poytayed as a nerd.
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckers wrote:
Annika wrote:

If you wanna go this route...what about the other predudices you could pick out in the show? Sarah is sexual so she not that smart? Taylor is supposed to be the smart one and therefore not sexual. What about the fact that Dannyboy gets distracted by every beautiful woman he sees...does that mean all men are like that? And how about the fact that there has never been one person on this series who was not white. I agree with someone else's comment....they are making characters, bottom line and if you wanna start knit-picking you can find more and larger problems than spencer the scientist being poytayed as a nerd.

That was well said.
charliebrown
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously, creators, do we need that cliché? Reply with quote

Quote:
He's extremely weird, rather unattractive,

Shocked Your kidding right
PolkadotConfederation
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously, creators, do we need that cliché? Reply with quote

charliebrown wrote:
Quote:
He's extremely weird, rather unattractive,

Shocked Your kidding right

kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annika wrote:

ok being a science kid myself here I can say that I understand what you are saying.

BUTTTT

Why not laugh at yourself. If you don't know how to laugh at yourself for being a nerd then you will take it a lot more seriously and be offended by these stereotypes. My friends and I joke all the time that we have no lives and will go out to eat and talk science. Then we laugh at the people around us just staring.

You must admit. Science kids are a little off their rocker. Wink Just like how spencer is.

So what if Spencer is a little stereotyped. He did a great job being awkward on camera his first time. I know that I was when i started vids.

i dont know what else I'm going to say. I'll think of more later. But just think about this please. learn to laugh at your scienceness and you wont be as offended to things like this. and no this isnt an attack, it's just my personal experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Spencer All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: