Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeepBlueRug
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and am as guilty as anyone. I think another problem is that the bulk of people that come to this site, are here for CIW. Us Cassie watchers are crammed into this one little corner, that is 50x more popular than the rest of the site. I think CIW forum could have its own Index, that would have plenty of room for nonsense and no-nonsense threads. Just my two cents.
toadlguy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CU_Roi - Glad to see you back - hope your day was successful. I thought the same thing you suggested and it might work if it were all the same posters. I even made a few suggestions while the anagram solving was going on - which were pretty much ignored. I think the big problem with controlling things more than the mods are doing, is that half (or more) of the people online when there is a "clue solving" going on are new. Then you end up with hundreds of posts telling the newbies to follow the rules, which can be more distracting thenb the organized chaos of yesterday. I think the trick is really to organize things like the wiki after the clue solving is done. Just my two cents (however I support your post - I just don't want us all acting like "forum nazis")
toadlguy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeepBlueRug wrote:
Us Cassie watchers are crammed into this one little corner

That's the beauty of the net though, it just grows to fit. Although another level of indexes might be nice - on unfiction they can make multiple levels, I don't know if this bbs software will do that?
Cu_Roi
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toadlguy wrote:
CU_Roi - Glad to see you back - hope your day was successful.

Thanks! It was fun-filled, even though I'm not sure how productive it was. Should fun ever really be productive?

toadlguy wrote:
I think the trick is really to organize things like the wiki after the clue solving is done. Just my two cents (however I support your post - I just don't want us all acting like "forum nazis")

I agree with not wanting the forums to become a police state...but UF isn't and that's my point of reference. You rarely get flame wars, and the community tends to govern itself. It's why the concept of honor is generally a positive influence. You instill, within the individual, a code of ethics that is self-governing. It shows respect while allowing the autonomy to act as one needs. That's why I say there are "rules" we have to follow, the "rules" are like ethics. It's important to build a conscience regarding the forums and how one deals and contributes to them. Else we descend into the pool of madness...and since it seems that Cassie lives there...how can we help her if we get sucked under as well.

Wikis are invaluable...and are suggested in the article I posted...referred to as the Trail and the Guide. Those should be kept up religiously.
"Death, in the strict sense, cannot be defined, for whatever predicate we, the living, attribute to it necessarily belongs to Life. This means that Death, as a category, behaves in a manner indistinguishable from the Infinite, and from God."
toadlguy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu_roi - But the problem remains that more than half the posters were new - I'm all for it if you think it will work. Maybe you can take the UnFiction stuff and edit it with that thought in mind.
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu_Roi wrote:
After leaving for an entire day and coming back to see...all of this...we have to organize folks. This is just sad.

Don't get me wrong...it's wonderful that there is so much interest and commendable that everyone is brainstorming away, but it's unacceptable to have a 50 page thread where every several posts repeats information without adding anything new, or, and this is the main problem, personal conversations that could be PM'd are carried out at extreme length.

This is why it takes us days to solve this stuff.

I suggest:
1) We start using the Cloudmaker Protocols for posts.
2)We startup a channel on IRC to handle to brainstorming and as a place for the smalltalk.
3)We start a little bit of selfregulation regarding our posts. That's what trouting is...it's self-discipline. The Mods can't keep up with all of this, and we also need to encourage them to stop some of the insanity when it begins.

I felt so sorry for tw, when I had to leave for several hours yesterday. Confused

Quote:
These are some of the things instituted in the other ARG forums, and they work. They've been in place for a long time and they really do work. They don't detract from the enjoyment of the game or destroy the social elements we love, they increase them. Things like this are hard and fast guidelines that help the community flourish when implemented. Like ethics.

I'm suggesting this because I've been here for Cassie as long as anyone. I leave for a day, and when I return I can't find the information I need to help the rest of you out. It's not that so much happened yesterday that I shouldn't be able to catchup, or that someone new shouldn't be able to start, it's that the forums are in a state of mob panic.

I agree with your suggestions completely, especially the chatroom for small talk. Wink That alone would probably eliminate about 80% of the long threads.

EDIT: I would also like to add that I still think the LGPedia is the best place to record final solutions to each puzzle. That shall really help in the future.
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu_Roi wrote:
Thanks! It was fun-filled, even though I'm not sure how productive it was.

What was it? What did we miss?
Cu_Roi
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toadlguy wrote:
Cu_roi - But the problem remains that more than half the posters were new - I'm all for it if you think it will work. Maybe you can take the UnFiction stuff and edit it with that thought in mind.

It's true that they're new...that's part of why I say we adopt topic heading conventions immediately, and that we encourage those threads to stay on topic. We indulge the noobs and guide them. Use trout. It works. Encourage the use of the Search button...it works too. Place prominent stickies with Trail & Guides that we have, and let the Mods split threads when they need to. At UF nothing gets deleted, but it will get moved, or locked if the situation calls for it.

They don't tell you what to talk about, just where. They keep it organized. It's what we should strive for.

I'll get started on a personalized tutorial for Cassie, if you think it's needed. I'll put some more thought into it and submit something to the Mods.

Right now let's try to clean up the mess.

Wink
"Death, in the strict sense, cannot be defined, for whatever predicate we, the living, attribute to it necessarily belongs to Life. This means that Death, as a category, behaves in a manner indistinguishable from the Infinite, and from God."
Cu_Roi
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravensgrace wrote:
Cu_Roi wrote:
Thanks! It was fun-filled, even though I'm not sure how productive it was.

What was it? What did we miss?

It was nothing related to Cassie. Just some exploring/adventuring up the coast. It never seems that I do enough of it! There's so much history, everywhere, and so many weird things to see. Just reminds you to keep your eyes open.

You can all be sure that if I do anything that pertains to this ARG, I'll be forthcoming.
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cu_Roi wrote:
It was nothing related to Cassie. Just some exploring/adventuring up the coast. It never seems that I do enough of it! There's so much history, everywhere, and so many weird things to see. Just reminds you to keep your eyes open.

So true. Have you watched LonesomeOctober's new video, yet? That was another reminder for me to vacation soon. Very Happy
DeepBlueRug
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the posting problems. I agree you could have a serious ARG thread/forum and such, its just a lot of people coming here aren't really playing it, as much as following the story or LG15 fans in general.

That's why I like the idea of a Cassie forum index, it would cover both sides. JMO
shortyb
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

It sounds like ya'll have it covered, but in the meantime.... is there a way to subcategorize the main categories? It seems to get all jumbled up b/c it posts by most recent date ( is this correct?) but is there a way to keep overall themes lumped together so they are easier to find on a page? For example, keeping all the interpretations with each other, all decodings together, etc?

Once we actually get into the ARG for lg15 it will be essential for you guys so your heads don't explode.

I'm not very technologically saavy, but I'm a hell of an organizer and would be happy to help if you need it.
shadowx1110
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all, in this "noob"s (and general lurker) opinion, having all the information in one place like wiki would REALLY help ppl like me who aren't really playing the game but want to follow cassie's story (as it's much more enjoyable than the LG15 story.. i think so, anyway). i know i've spent WAY too much time just sifting through all of the threads trying to keep up to date.

that being said i have to say that even though ARG is totally not my thing, i've been amazed at the complexity of this "game" and have to give all the players credit for doing such a good job of figuring out the clues... y'all are schmart!! keep up the good work!
bulletk
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowx1110 wrote:
hi all, in this "noob"s (and general lurker) opinion, having all the information in one place like wiki would REALLY help ppl like me who aren't really playing the game but want to follow cassie's story (as it's much more enjoyable than the LG15 story.. i think so, anyway). i know i've spent WAY too much time just sifting through all of the threads trying to keep up to date.

that being said i have to say that even though ARG is totally not my thing, i've been amazed at the complexity of this "game" and have to give all the players credit for doing such a good job of figuring out the clues... y'all are schmart!! keep up the good work!

I agree. This is great fun. But between work and stuff at home it's hard to keep up.

I'm amazed at how this has/is being solved.
Jana4
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we are being punished for complaining the clues were too slow between... Now they are being shot at us like a machine gun..LOL

(pssst, Cassie, we need a middle ground here)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> FanFic Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: