Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's With Me? Admin please read
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyeMew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Who's With Me? Admin please read Reply with quote

Dear The Creators,
You know I love you guys, but I have a request. Can you please throw some bones to us old fans who latched onto Bree long before all the recent madness? The ones who were drawn to Bree because of her amazingly witty videos such as Daniel the Neanderthal, and the deep ones such as My Lazy Eye (which then does a 360 with a great P. Monkey Boogies sequence!) That is the LonelyGirl that we love.
I know that with all the cassiewatching of late, you guys feel that the masses are demanding drama! suspense! MASSIVE CLUE-DROPPING! But I am afraid this has totally led the series astray from its great roots and it's entertainment value as individual works of art have suffered. I'm sure you guys saw the reaction to CW and because of that changed your format to one mirroring hers with a new mysterious character, the much more BLATANT dropping of clues and hints for us to notice, etc. Everything has become too blunt though, a mystery which is being shoved under your nose is not as fun to solve than one which is much more subtle (like it used to be, with things like the Crowley picture, etc.)

Please think back and remember those times, when you didn't have to prove anything. You weren't playing to any audience, you were being yourselves and so was Bree. I know you need a semblance of plot, but does it have to be driven by each new video? With this new format, there is no longer room for Bree to just let her hair down and be crazy for a bit, like in the old days sitting on her floor mashing nuts and fresh fish from a mountain stream.

Please don't get mad at me, but it's just a humble request to show that there are a group of us fans who hopefully are not a small minority who feel the show has diverged from what originally made it so amazing and that we hope you can reinvigorate it with some of that past magic. Thank you.
drquest
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes HyeMew I would gladly trade in the last 4 videos for a classic PSW or some good old P. monkey boogie. One thing that has changed is no more Daniel in the back ground sure he really did nothing but Bree fed off him and it made for a better video. Her solo videos were still very good back then my lazy eye and boy problems were two good ones. How my parents met was close to old school LG but like Hye said a bit heavy handed on droping clues. Hell Britney spears is more subtle at dropping her kid than the last few videos have been about clues.
curriguy
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed. the mystery/suspense is fascinating...but a lot of the original wit/charm has been neglected.
Hodabes
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plots have to be advanced, and all shows -- on TV or on Revver -- will go through these spurts of development, and without them even the cutest girl with the most awesome dancing puppet would soon get boring.

Bree's last video was full of character (smitten like a kitten, anyone?) Trust the creators to figure out the balance.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the early videos had that much charm, personally. A lot of them seemed to just exist to attract the sort of people that would make lonelygirl15 popular. (Like the one where they sing Grillz) And it worked, which was awesome.

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
HyeMew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sfonzarelli wrote:
I don't think the early videos had that much charm, personally. A lot of them seemed to just exist to attract the sort of people that would make lonelygirl15 popular. (Like the one where they sing Grillz) And it worked, which was awesome.

Grillz was the definite oddball in that early set, and a really bad representation of what the early ones were like.
Now go watch ones like Lazy Eye and Daniel the Neanderthal, or any of the Proving Science Wrongs (I MISS THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!) and tell me there was no charm or humor in them. If so, you've got to be soulless or something!
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that what a niche market may love -- slice-of-life weirdness, ambiguity -- isn't necessarily what the larger market will love. The larger market might lose patience with the sort of things that your or I prefer. Demand for the lurid has always ruled every market at every point in history. Miles and Mesh *have* to play around with different themes and points of view and work out the mix that is going to work best for them in the long run is this if going to remain a viable enterprise for them.
Sfonzarelli
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyeMew wrote:
Sfonzarelli wrote:

Grillz was the definite oddball in that early set, and a really bad representation of what the early ones were like.
Now go watch ones like Lazy Eye and Daniel the Neanderthal, or any of the Proving Science Wrongs (I MISS THOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!) and tell me there was no charm or humor in them. If so, you've got to be soulless or something!

omg but the newest one had Bree talking about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead!

-.-. ..-. ..- -.- / ..- -.-- ---
drquest
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nora Volkova wrote:
Part of the problem is that what a niche market may love -- slice-of-life weirdness, ambiguity -- isn't necessarily what the larger market will love. The larger market might lose patience with the sort of things that your or I prefer. Demand for the lurid has always ruled every market at every point in history. Miles and Mesh *have* to play around with different themes and points of view and work out the mix that is going to work best for them in the long run is this if going to remain a viable enterprise for them.

True Nora but this was never meant to be a long ruining series this project is just a spring board to bigger things for both the creators and actors. The actors are only contracted to the end of the year. This project for the creators was to prove that there idea worked and for the actors it was good exposure. This was never meant to be the one that made them all millionaires just get there names on the lips of people in Hollywood that can make them millionaires.

ps. love the cat pic
milowent
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea how much ciw is affecting the creator's choice of storyline, but it may be since a lot of ciw'ers inhabit this board, which the creators do read.

the first ciw video "this is my story now" only has 45,000 views. And that has many repeat views due to the nature of it. So, ciw is obviously only a small portion of the entire LG15 audience (that is not a slam, just an observation.) Many LG15 videos on youtube have 500K+ views.

As Nora noted, the creators do have to try to cater to a large market if they want to maximize viewership. It seems to me that the YT videos that have always gotten the most views are those dealing with teen drama: Lazy Eye, Boy Problems, My First Kiss. Those can't exist on their own, though, the plot needs to keep going also.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Hye...

I was drawn to this after all the media blitz, mainly because I love the idea of telling a story in this kind of medium. It's a tough line to walk, because of all the message boards and comments. How do you keep it appearing real and incorporate comments and feedback while still staying true to your story? I think the creators have done that.

As much as I love Bree's videos and the silliness and playfulness, this is a story. And a story is told on a structure, which leands up to a climax or dénouement, and that's where I think we're heading.

After all, this can't go on forever...so let's let them tell their story! I appreciate that some of the clue dropping elements are being told from Daniel's perspective. It's a good system!

Great job, creators.
Flautapantera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Broken Kid.

Sure, the Lazy Eye vid and P. Monkey dancing are priceless, but HyeMew, I think you're romanticizing this a bit too much. If The Creators continued spitting out saccharine-sweet videos, solely with Bree dancing with her boa or baking cookies, the plot would begin to dry. It wouldn't be very exciting and viewers would decrease (which they already have, if you look on YouTube). But the decrease thus far could be from the different locations (Revver, lonelygirl15.com) where you can now view them first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for watching P. Monkey shake his groove thing, but, as the cliche says, change is inevitable.

I will agree with you on one point--the unveiling of clues could definitely be a little less in-your-face. It makes it all the more interesting when you have to manipulate the images (i.e. zoom in, rotate) to grasp the idea of the clue.

Awesome job so far, Creators. Keep 'em coming!

You know that moment where you just want to grab a pair of scissors and run away with them?
curriguy
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flautapantera wrote:
Sure, the Lazy Eye vid and P. Monkey dancing are priceless, but HyeMew, I think you're romanticizing this a bit too much. If The Creators continued spitting out saccharine-sweet videos, solely with Bree dancing with her boa or baking cookies, the plot would begin to dry. It wouldn't be very exciting and viewers would decrease (which they already have, if you look on YouTube). But the decrease thus far could be from the different locations (Revver, lonelygirl15.com) where you can now view them first.

Everyone kindov trivializes those early videos, chalking them up to merely "cookies" and "boas." the general feeling is that the REAL plot started only after cassie arrived.

well...

In addition to to baking/dancing, Bree would
A) use insightful metaphors ("if I could change the way I saw things when I was 8, why can't my parents now?")
B) intelligent parallels to modern science
C) and subtle-clues-that were not abrasive to her personality (10-12-06)

These were the ways that the plot was being advanced. things weren't stagnant. and, at the same time, it allowed us to see more of our characters' personality.

I don't think it's a bad thing to keep elements like that.
mousegirl
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to agree with Flautapantera, but I really enjoyed those videos.
With me, I was into LG15 when she first came out, but then I hardly came on the comp at all. Then I heard about her in the news and came back.

and I think I might be the only person here not into the whole cassie thing ^^;
To me it is a bit to creepy, and seems off... but that topic doesn't belong here.
^_^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nora Volkova
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main sense of unease is that I just really, *really* don't want to see this turn into another generic story feeding people's ignorance about alternative religions. But that's a theme I hear a lot from the fans: if Bree's family's religion isn't somehow dangerous or bad, then they'll be disappointed.

Maybe there's a third party baddy we haven't been introduced to yet --the ambiguity so far has led much of the audience down the path of being uneasy about Bree's religion, but perhaps the story will throw us yet another curve. You can still have danger and tension and creepiness that without defaming an actual religious tradition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: