Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is Frank's Painting? 10-5-06
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
katz31
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture isn't exact but it's close:

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPublisher.woa/wa/largeImage?workNumber=NG3476&collectionPublisherSection=work
Jana4
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the original crop of the painting looks like someone placing a goblet into the coffin of someone that is ready for burial. The portion of the arm on the upper right looks like a partial of the regular crossed arms position like they do for the dead. The body is propped a little as if on display at a wake, with either an ornate lacy pillow behind the head of the dead, or a large lacy veil.

I did a search for hours using words like that for the painting search, but nothing.

If anything, that makes sense for a cup being dropped at a cemetary.
girl
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's try to take one step back and flip the rubik's cube, as it were.

what is the significance of each of the other pictures to their title and poem?

i think jana is on to something and finding a connection will make it easier to find the entire painting...
Nicole
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jana4 wrote:
To me the original crop of the painting looks like someone placing a goblet into the coffin of someone that is ready for burial. The portion of the arm on the upper right looks like a partial of the regular crossed arms position like they do for the dead. The body is propped a little as if on display at a wake, with either an ornate lacy pillow behind the head of the dead, or a large lacy veil.

If that's true, what about the possibility of mummification? When mummies were made, jewels and things like that were wrapped into the mummy, and treasures were put into the sarcophagus (sp?). Could it be that, and not a coffin?
Lola
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a lurker for a while but...here's a question....

Are you sure this is the picture Frank means? How did Frank know the picture was missing? Because he saw the empty frame in his room (as someone else said, an odd frame for a drifter in a hotel) or is it that he saw "his picture" in one of the videos and only then realized it was missing.
girl
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or did he say it because this is the only one we hadn't found yet?
katz31
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lola wrote:
I've been a lurker for a while but...here's a question....

Are you sure this is the picture Frank means? How did Frank know the picture was missing? Because he saw the empty frame in his room (as someone else said, an odd frame for a drifter in a hotel) or is it that he saw "his picture" in one of the videos and only then realized it was
missing.

This is a good point. Maybe the picture of the chalice was only to symbolize someone being a "vessel."
Jana4
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually meant for my post to go into the thread about the painting, not about Frank's missing picture. This place is getting a little confusing.
atomikbr
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the chalice in the picture was taken from one of the "bacchus and ariadne wining" paintings, there are tons of them so i don't know which one really.
There you see "putti" (cherubs or children), satyrs and nymphs dancing and wining around Bacchus and Ariadne in a bacchanal. Those hands look to me like children's hands, ginving a chalice of wine to someone (he could easily be Bacchus/Dionysus): here there's a painting http://pintura.aut.org/SearchProducto?Produnum=132481.
While it's not the same painting, i've seen at least 5 paintings like this, and there are tons of them, so i guess it could be something like this.
It makes sense: the poem refers to the "garden wher the killer wined".

I don't think it's the same painting Frank's lost, anyway.
SteveP
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Interesting - though probably coincidental - article Reply with quote

Reading back through the poem I still can't get my head around the 'So depicts a rose in soil fenced' line.
This line immediately follows a reference to the picture (The picture has not yet commenced), so maybe the 'So depicts a rose' line is telling us what is in Frank's missing painting ?

Thought I would do some Googling on this topic and the fourth link to show up (on a term of 'depicts a rose in soil fenced painting') was :-
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0797/9707dark.html
Which is nota painting, but is about the Angeles National Forest - which I believe is where East Fork etc. is.
It mentions a pentagram, bodies in bags, an East Fork Canyon baptism (with a photo which could almost be the swimming hole)

As someone has said before though, probably just a result of my brain making connections that aren't really there.
toadlguy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - did you read it all? - what is THAT about? - wait read more - it's really just about the forest, but some weird doins' (it is near LA)
SteveP
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly didn't read it all.

Like most things - I just look at the pictures Smile
BurnsIV
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting - though probably coincidental - article Reply with quote

SteveP wrote:
Reading back through the poem I still can't get my head around the 'So depicts a rose in soil fenced' line.
This line immediately follows a reference to the picture (The picture has not yet commenced), so maybe the 'So depicts a rose' line is telling us what is in Frank's missing painting ?

Thought I would do some Googling on this topic and the fourth link to show up (on a term of 'depicts a rose in soil fenced painting') was :-
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0797/9707dark.html
Which is nota painting, but is about the Angeles National Forest - which I believe is where East Fork etc. is.
It mentions a pentagram, bodies in bags, an East Fork Canyon baptism (with a photo which could almost be the swimming hole)

As someone has said before though, probably just a result of my brain making connections that aren't really there.

The photo of the East Fork boptisim
Wilkie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, wait, where in that Outside story did the phrase "depicts a rose in soil fenced" happen? Or were you Googling the phrase without quotation marks?

I love the article though ... creepy.
katz31
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I read about 2/3 of that article and scanned over the rest, and that is one wicked place! Seems an appropriate setting for all of this.

Wilkie, I love the cat in your avatar! I used to have a cat that looked just like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> FanFic Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: