Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cassie/Carrie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Cassie/Carrie Reply with quote

OK, this has probably been posted before, and so I apologize for that, if it has. There's been talk about Cassie being an imaginary person in Bree's mind. The thought came to me: what if her name was meant to be an allusion to the famed Carrie of the movie of the same name? Again, probably mentioned already, but here goes, anyway.

Carrie was this sheltered girl, just as Bree is, and Carrie tried to obey her parents, just as Bree does. Carrie's mother was religious, and so are Bree's parents. But Carrie had this dark side that was unleashed at the prom, and allowed her to vent all of her suppressed animosities.

So what if Cassie is meant to be Bree's other side, like her in many ways, but one who rebels against her religion. Bree said that Cassie "stopped coming around" because the religion freaked her out.

Bree also said that Cassie was "in Daniel's class." But what if "class" means "type." That is, she is like Daniel, "in his class," in that she's able to do what she wants without strict parental oversight?

Last, Bree said that she and Cassie used to "walk around the track together." What if that's a mental image in Bree's mind of "going 'round and 'round" with this other self, while she wrestled with which self to side with?

Note that the only time in all of the videos where Bree mentions Cassie is when she goes swimming with Daniel. Her parents originally said that she couldn't go swimming with Daniel, but then later changed their minds and allowed her to go. So it's when she's doing this thing that she really wanted to do, but which her parents didn't want her to do, that she remembers Cassie and says, "Whatever happened to that girl Cassie?"

It's also during the swimming video that we see a bit of Bree's dark side. She talks of hunting and smashing skeeters -- for no apparent reason except the sheer thrill of it. That seems a bit out of character with the nice, innocent, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly Bree.

So it's when she's doing what her parents didn't want her to do, swimming with Daniel, that she "remembers" Cassie and also starts to act on her repressed agressions.

After saying that she and Cassie used to walk around the track together (wrestled with her other, more independent self), she says that "everyone was so mean to her." Could this be a clue as to why she stopped "walking around the track" with Cassie -- because she couldn't handle the kids being mean to her (ala the thing with the teacher and the questions about stars), and so she reverted back to her sheltered life being homeschooled, and more under her parents' direct supervision? It was after that that Cassie "stopped coming around."

Right after remembering how mean the kids were to "Cassie," Bree says she wants to leave. This swimming, this enjoyment of freedom, comes at a price. After remembering how mean the kids were to Cassie, she no longer wants to consider that direction, and wants to return to her home.

Anyway, sorry if all of this has been posted before. But just thought of it, so thought I'd post it in case any of it hasn't been.

Not sure if there is a connection to "Carrie." But thought the few parallels were interesting, anyway.
JerseyJohnny
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great analysis, aguy.

What strikes me is that Daniel was pretty adamant about not having a clue as to whom Cassie was. When you watch the video, you think he's just playing it off, maybe she's a former g/f he wants to forget about or whatever, but he acts like he has no concept of who "Cassie" is or ever was. That would make sense if Bree has an alter ego named "Cassie". Funny also how Bree is the only one who ever brings up Cassie, and considers her to be the "only one who truly understands".

I like your thinking on this!
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered why Cassie doesn't come up in Daniel's videos, too.
aguy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyJohnny wrote:
What strikes me is that Daniel was pretty adamant about not having a clue as to whom Cassie was. When you watch the video, you think he's just playing it off, maybe she's a former g/f he wants to forget about or whatever, but he acts like he has no concept of who "Cassie" is or ever was. That would make sense if Bree has an alter ego named "Cassie".

Yes, I thought that at first, too -- that he was in denial. There's also that part where he starts to say, "Why would you even bring...." But maybe he's not in denial; maybe he's just truly lost as to what she's talking about.

Also, was thinking about the skeeters, and how she says that they are the creatures that "skeeter along the surface." This is in contrast to her taking a long, deep swim in the cool, refreshing water. Thus, perhaps she has such animosity towards the skeeters (wants to "bash their brains out") because they represent to her those who don't swim in the water, but only "skeeter along the surface" (i.e., like her life under her parents' control -- she can't "swim" in what she wants, but can only "skeeter along the surface" (connect with others from her room through the Internet; only meet with Daniel in her parents' house; etc.)).

Thus, she could resent the skeeters, even if subconsciously, because they represent what she's trying to get away from -- skeetering along the surface of life, instead of going for a long, deep, satisfying swim.
aguy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyJohnny wrote:
Funny also how Bree is the only one who ever brings up Cassie

An interesting thing about this is that when Daniel asks Bree what Cassie looks like, Bree says, "I don't remember." How could she not remember? If she was one of her only friends in school and they used to walk around the track together, how could she not remember what she looks like? She would at least say, "She had dark hair," or "She was short," or whatever.

Sure, she could just be brushing Daniel off. But this thing of saying, "I don't remember," when she's trying to get Daniel to remember Cassie, seems a little strange.

Also, note that it's right after Daniel asks what Cassie looks like and Bree says, "I don't remember," that she says, "Just forget about it." Perhaps it's making her uncomfortable to have to try to remember what someone looks like who doesn't really exist, and so she drops the idea completely of having Daniel remember Cassie.

Thanks for your comments.
covedweller

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one following the op aphid video thing and thinking it may become part of canon as to the story of Cassie and her not being good at all?

Something about the videos gives them this otherworldly quality that makes me think of her in a different way.

Bree's post ceremony update today just has me kinda confused, so I am really trying to find any semi-official excitement I can get!
JerseyJohnny
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

covedweller wrote:
Am I the only one following the op aphid video thing and thinking it may become part of canon as to the story of Cassie and her not being good at all?

Something about the videos gives them this otherworldly quality that makes me think of her in a different way.

Bree's post ceremony update today just has me kinda confused, so I am really trying to find any semi-official excitement I can get!

No, I'm following them too, but it's hard to tell if they're legit or not. Seems to have popped up too late in the game (no pun intended) to be legit, but they're very well done and they seem to be on target. The poor grammar in one of the videos doesn't help, it actually makes me think it's probably just a very well done amateur fanfic add-on of some sort.

I feel like I got totally burned by the Cassie thing, so I'm hesitant to put my support behind any of the extras. Although I am totally buying into the "Immant" videos!
covedweller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseyJohnny wrote:
covedweller wrote:

No, I'm following them too, but it's hard to tell if they're legit or not. Seems to have popped up too late in the game (no pun intended) to be legit, but they're very well done and they seem to be on target. The poor grammar in one of the videos doesn't help, it actually makes me think it's probably just a very well done amateur fanfic add-on of some sort.

I feel like I got totally burned by the Cassie thing, so I'm hesitant to put my support behind any of the extras. Although I am totally buying into the "Immant" videos!

LOL. I noticed that poor grammar in the one. It is weird though cause I was searching the statements of purity in the series and it was copied and pasted from Wikipedia it seems.

Just goes to show, the wiki cannot be trusted!
dianeviola
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does her talking to her stuffed animals and thinking or believing that they are real have anything to do with mutiple personality or alter ego?
Penny
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dianeviola wrote:
does her talking to her stuffed animals and thinking or believing that they are real have anything to do with mutiple personality or alter ego?

I don't think so. Although, how healthy is it to think stuffed animals are "kind of real"?
CrazyNic
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny wrote:
dianeviola wrote:

I don't think so. Although, how healthy is it to think stuffed animals are "kind of real"?

Multiple personalities are no longer thought to be a real thing, and talking to stuffed animals and thinking they are real is something that might come from being sheltered. Often times those that are sheltered experience an altered reality. Possibly Bree's UBER love of her religion is that it's the one thing that she is allowed to do and socialize with other people, and allows her to develop a larger peer group.

Also, how many occult kids go to camp, and bring in outsiders to film the plays they put on?

Bohemian Grove anyone? Twisted Evil
aguy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dianeviola wrote:

Just a note regarding what I wrote above. If any of that is true (and I posted it just as a possibility, not that I believe it's definitely the case), but if it's true, then I would see Cassie not as an alternate personality of Bree, but rather a personification of who Bree would want to be -- an imaginary friend who is "in Daniel's class" and represents the other side of Bree, who she would like to be more. But I don't think Bree ever "was" Cassie. Just that she perhaps has this "memory" of Cassie who never really existed, except in Bree's imagination, who is a projection of who Bree wants to be, and the line between fantasy and reality in Bree's memory has been blurred. That's one possibility.
aguy
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyNic wrote:
Multiple personalities are no longer thought to be a real thing

Did a bunch of psychiatrists get together and decide they're not real anymore? What do you mean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: