Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Analyzing the Drop (and Showing Your Work)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Analyzing the Drop (and Showing Your Work) Reply with quote

This thread is to share some information with those who haven't been following as closely, and start a dialogue. I have also taken the time to share one possible solution to the puzzle, and how the puzzles might have been solved, to help newcomers see that it's not as confusing as it might appear. Very Happy

Step 1: The Drop

A video posted by OpAphid led us back to La Cienega Park. This is the location where In The Park and When I Get to the Bottom Where I Stop were both filmed. At the drop site there was an SD Card located near the payphone. The files found on this memory card were named:
544147.avi
594f55275245
4954.jpg

The "f" in the second file name gives us a clue that this is not simply random numbers. After a little searching on the Net we are able to determine that it might be hexadecimal. Next we search and locate a hexadecimal translator. After translation the names become more interesting.

Translation -> TAG.avi YOU'RE IT.jpg or "TAG YOU'RE IT" <-

Step 2: The Video

The next step is to analyze the video. I chose the video first, because that was the first word in the sentence I formed in the translation. Next, we need to locate Bree's original video, which is referenced in the AVI file.

Solution -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2YMux3PCL4 <-

Now we must analyze! We should look at everything about the original to see if it holds some clue. In fact, we may find that the filename of the AVI itself gives us a clue where to look, and this information may help us later. Wink (I'm saving speculation about other possible meanings of the video for last. Right now we're only interested in solving the puzzle.)

Step 3: An Unknown File

The next step is to analyze the second file. Again, I chose the unknown file next, because it is the second word in the sentence I chose. The first thing we notice when trying to open it is that we see nothing but garbled text, but at the beginning we see something legible, "Rar". This gives us a clue to its possible format.

When we search for Rar on Wikipedia we find that it is a type of compression. Now we know that an extension needs to be added to the name, and we also need a program that reads this type of file. (I chose WinRar.)

So, we rename the file by adding the .rar extension, and we can now open it. When we open the file we are asked for a password. Exclamation Using what we know from the second step, we should be able to determine the password from the information we gathered from the original video. As I mentioned, the file name of the AVI file tells us exactly where to look for the password. Wink Hint -> The password is a TAG <-

Password Solution -> tachyon <-

The Contents of Rawr!

After we use the password, and extract the contents of the file. We see a new file entitled, ENCODE PER SCORN, which looks suspiciously like an anagram.

Solution -> CORRESPONDENCE <-

Using what we know, again. Wink The name of the RAR file, and the solution to the anagram, gives us a specific clue to its contents. However, we learn that the contents of the file are encoded. We used hexidecimal in the first step, so we might reasonably guess that this is also hexidecimal encoding, which is correct. However, there is a little more to the puzzle this time.

Once we have translated the hexidecimal we see a lot of 0s and 1s. After a little searching for 1s and 0s we learn about binary. Next, we locate a binary translator and translating it, again, we see a list of names.

Solution ->
Cu_Roi
ixlr8
luv2luvem
cluechaser
MintGurl
Melissab718
hummingcrab
stevedx669
theratdiva
pikales
skawjw
tiltingwindward
ladron121
warpylol
ravensgrace
gemmers19
pikales
TheChessboardWoman
twjaniak
chixor1
romanceismusic
jengels2002
Frederikke
briska06
surrealisticpill
<-

Whom are all these people? Razz Furthermore, why does OpAphid have their names? Shocked

Step 4: The Image

Using what we have learned we should be able to analyze the image that we found on the SD card, and determine its purpose. This could lead us to another drop site, the location of Tachyon, or even more clues about the story. Oh, and the image is currently being discussed in another thread, and no one appears to have solved IT yet, so I haven't included it here.
http://lonelygirl15.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2593

(Please let me know if I left something out, or anything about my solution still seems unclear.)
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident

Last edited by ravensgrace on Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:32 am; edited 3 times in total
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: [Spec] Analyzing The Solutions Reply with quote

Here is a list of a few bits I thought were interesting.

1. The translated AVI file name is TAG
2. The password to the RAR file is found right in the tags of the original video
3. The translated RAR file name is YOU'RE
4. The contents of the file withing was a list of some of our names
5. The translated image file name is IT
6. The contents of the image included a compass, and a morse code "N", which could lead us to an it.

Natural progression. One solution leads us directly to the next solution, or clue. So, what else is out there?
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
Sad Panda
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed ...

That was the most logical, congruent explanation of ANYTHING EVER.

... You are awesome.
brandoblues
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: her profile indicated, its just pointing, nothing hidden in it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: