Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The *point* of all this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
konfabulate
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: The *point* of all this? Reply with quote

Perhaps this is off-topic. Perhaps it isn't. I suppose you all can decide.

What I'm thinking about - more than what her religion actually is - is why the creators of this whole phenomenon chose to focus so strongly on Bree's religion in the first place.

Look at us: we're all scrambling around, hunting madly for clues to what her religion really is and what it all means and getting freaked out and morally outraged about the principles involved. Gasp, brainwashing! Gasp, indoctrination! Gasp, secrecy and mystery!

But why are we all indignant that these people are out to harm Daniel and/or Bree?

Because it's an obscure religion. If she was Christian, no one would give a damn (pardon my language) what she was talking about. And Christianity, over the centuries, has been just as controlling and brainwashing and dangerous as these people seem to be (Spanish Inquisition, anyone?).

My point is that it seems to me, by making this religion business such a pivotal aspect, the creators are making a point about religion as a whole. I could also be completely wrong and they could be making this up as they go, but that's how it seems to me.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the script.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
It's in the script.

lol...now that is an answer! Actually, it's a great answer to most of these posts where people complain about the story. "Hey creators, we don't like what's happening. Fix it!" "It's in the script". Wink

Didn't you used to be a penguin? Shocked
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I morphed. Shocked
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
I morphed. Shocked

That -> Shocked <- looks like your avatar! Only more yellow!
storyteller
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lonelygirl15.com/lgpedia/index.php/The_Secret

What Aleister Crowley was more noted for was the flaunting of alleged “secrets” in a way that mocked those who let their imaginations inflate their assumptions about said secrets.
twjaniak
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many things in our lives are coupled with a degree of certainty. If Bree was involved with Amway, we can do our homework and can come up with a reasonable guess at to where the plot may go next. One of the things that keeps us coming back is the mystery of the whole story.

Bree's religion seems like Thelema, but there are plenty of things that have been reveled that suggest otherwise. Bree religion is open, like with all faiths, to subjective values and personal opinions. The expression of these opinions through word or deed must be tolerated in our society because of our belief in religious freedom. Yet when we feel that the practices to which Bree wishes to subscribe may bring her harm, our hands our tied by our own belief in religious tolerance. The mystery compells us to want to know more, but we can't force her to tell us. When we fear for her safety, we can do nothing to stymie her because its her perogative. All this contributes angst with in us, the viewers, that other types of personal accounts cannot. A person's faith is very difficult to debate.
konfabulate
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
It's in the script.

I'm not quite sure what your point was in saying that.

I'm well aware that this whole thing is scripted and none of it's real. My point in making this post was just to make an observation about the metaphorical value of the series as a whole.
GoodGollyItsHolly
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konfabulate wrote:
Kasdeja wrote:
It's in the script.

I'm well aware that this whole thing is scripted and none of it's real. My point in making this post was just to make an observation about the metaphorical value of the series as a whole.

Still Funny Smile
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konfabulate wrote:
Kasdeja wrote:
It's in the script.

It's a joke, son. (Or hon.)

Relax and chill. I don't think anyone intends to devalue your observation (which, BTW, I think is an excellent one).

I've only been around for a week, but I've gotten the sense that people here like to poke fun at themselves, one another, and the whole lg15 concept. There's lots of discussion about where the plot is going and whether the quality of the series is getting better/worse/staying the same. There's also a lot of speculation about what the creators intend. All of these topics are wide open areas for humor. You just happened to stumble into one of those topics with your post.

All this is IMHO, of course.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humor is always around, yes. Very Happy Plus, we have to keep in mind that this is the first time the Creatatrons have done soemthing like this...so there's a bit of a learning curve involved. Also, even though we have some say through our feedback as to where the story goes, they still have an intended outline for this project. Chances are, we've taken it a little off thier original course through our feedback,etc. Plus, we have to remember...this is to run for a certain amount of time. They can't give us everything because then they would have to cut the entire series short. They may be making a point about religion...they may be making a point about how most people will make assumptions and judgements on people based on religion. It's hard to say at this point, really...but that's why we all keep watching, isn't it? Wink
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
Humor is always around, yes. Very Happy Plus, we have to keep in mind that this is the first time the Creatatrons have done soemthing like this...so there's a bit of a learning curve involved. Also, even though we have some say through our feedback as to where the story goes, they still have an intended outline for this project. Chances are, we've taken it a little off thier original course through our feedback,etc. Plus, we have to remember...this is to run for a certain amount of time. They can't give us everything because then they would have to cut the entire series short. They may be making a point about religion...they may be making a point about how most people will make assumptions and judgements on people based on religion. It's hard to say at this point, really...but that's why we all keep watching, isn't it? Wink

Well said! Very Happy
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when I get a good night's sleep? Laughing
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
See what happens when I get a good night's sleep? Laughing

I'm just going to start PMing you when I want to say something and let you do it for me! Very Happy
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...that's too much pressure....hides head
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Her Religion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: