Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cassiopeia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> The Others in Bree's Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducky
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Cassiopeia Reply with quote

Has anybody brought up the notion that "Cassie" is possibly a reference to Cassiopeia in Greek mythology? I believe the story goes something like she had boasted of her superior beauty over that of the sea nymphs so Poseidon tied her daughter Andromeda to a rock as a sacrifice to a sea monster. She was rescued by Perseus. Not sure what happens to Cassiopeia personally after all that, but the Andromeda angle seems to fit in with previous mentions of killing/sacrifice.

There's also a constellation named after Cassiopeia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiopeia_%28constellation%29

Possibly that's why Bree mentioned that she was into astronomy in the Pluto vid, to direct attention that way. At any rate she'd be familiar with the constellations and probably the stories behind them.

Edit: There's also a story that Cassiopeia was chained to her throne as a punishment for her bragging, and the constellation was known as "the Woman of the Chair." It's in the shape of a "W" or "M," as it circles the North Star.
je_danse112
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... any connection with Bree being chained to her chair tonight, since she's not allowed to go to the party? Surprised
HyeMew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool idea because I love Cassiopeia, but I see no reason at all for Cassie to equal her. It's Bree that seems to be chained to her chair anyway, not Cassie. Cassie was just a random name they picked post likely, I wouldn't look into it because seeing as we only know she walked around the track with Bree for a month in high school, ANYTHING you could possibly come up with would be pure speculation.
millionthwindow
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Cassiopiae Reply with quote

This was exactly my thought! Although it looks like you beat me to it. And remember that it was Daniel who walked around the track with 'Cas'. The parrells here are how males relate homosocially towards each other in relation to women in their lives in both a fruedian and joycean sense. ie the women

in 'Bree's Dad's life : His wife,and Bree

in Daniel's life: 'Cas', and Bree.

Theres an attempt to parrellel the two.

The daughter of Cassiopia and king Cepheus was andromeda, 'Bree' is an anglisized version of 'brĂ­gh' meaning "power, high" derived from Irish.

Bree also brings up Cas when they are 'near the water', which might be foreshadowing a referrence to this myth and it's relation to idea of 'rescue' near some body of water.
Big10
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Cassiopeia Reply with quote

ducky wrote:
Has anybody brought up the notion that "Cassie" is possibly a reference to Cassiopeia in Greek mythology? I believe the story goes something like she had boasted of her superior beauty over that of the sea nymphs so Poseidon tied her daughter Andromeda to a rock as a sacrifice to a sea monster. She was rescued by Perseus. Not sure what happens to Cassiopeia personally after all that, but the Andromeda angle seems to fit in with previous mentions of killing/sacrifice.

There's also a constellation named after Cassiopeia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiopeia_%28constellation%29

Possibly that's why Bree mentioned that she was into astronomy in the Pluto vid, to direct attention that way. At any rate she'd be familiar with the constellations and probably the stories behind them.

I agree with this tie-in to the Cassiopeia mythology somehow. There are lots of images of rocks and water in both Bree's "Swimming" video and Cassie's "This Is My Story" video. Cassie's plea to "help me" fits in with the rescue, too.

Speaking of water, I did a quick Google search of Mesh Flinders (named as one of the infamous "Creators") and discovered that he recently finished a short film called "Pond." Pay attention to the tagline and the synopsis, basically about a smart schoolgirl helping out a ghost:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808422/combined

Also check a casting call for it back in 2004, where a character named "Ana" seems to describe a girl a LOT like Bree:

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/LAFilmCasting/message/4325

(I also noticed that Flinders must have spent significant time in Dallas, Texas, which could possibly be the origin of Purple Monkey.)

So, for the YouTube story, perhaps Bree is the equivalent of the schoolgirl from "Pond," and Cassie is a ghost trapped at the pond/river?
maxuz
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're definly onto something here. the fact that she used to "walk around the track" with her suggests a cycle, or orbit. and the bag dropping in the water is certainly reminiscent of the myth.

what i'm sort of wondering is whether bree's parents are part of a dionysus cult, and the ritual is something of a feast of bacchus. that means bad things for bree though, as theres a good chance her role in the ritual would be that of the ravished. Its not DIRECTLY tied to cassiopia, nor is it directly tied to crowley, but the link can be made at hellfire clubs and franciscan monks, both of whom have been compared to dionysan's and both of which ascribed to the concept of "do what thou wilt."

that was sorta a threadjack, sorry, im just running with the greek myth theory.
ViolinAddict
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxuz wrote:
you're definly onto something here. the fact that she used to "walk around the track" with her suggests a cycle, or orbit. and the bag dropping in the water is certainly reminiscent of the myth.

what i'm sort of wondering is whether bree's parents are part of a dionysus cult, and the ritual is something of a feast of bacchus. that means bad things for bree though, as theres a good chance her role in the ritual would be that of the ravished. Its not DIRECTLY tied to cassiopia, nor is it directly tied to crowley, but the link can be made at hellfire clubs and franciscan monks, both of whom have been compared to dionysan's and both of which ascribed to the concept of "do what thou wilt."

that was sorta a threadjack, sorry, im just running with the greek myth theory.

I'm definitely with you there... especially with all of Cassie's "I can't see comments" and the common trend of eyes being removed in Greek tragedies...
ducky
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was mostly throwing the idea out hoping someone else might be able to suss out a connection, or at least see if there was a correlation after the fact when more plot developments are revealed. It's more likely that Bree would be Andromeda which would make Cassie her mother and that doesn't make sense plotwise. Unless the Cassie is Bree theory holds up, in which case Bree is possibly "sacrificed" for something she did as Cassie. Or whatever.

Since it turns out that there's a scavenger hunt to be had with actual location clues on UToob and the Myspace pages etc. it's possible that the "W" or "M" shape of the Cassiopeia constellation might be significant as some kind of marker since Cassie was mention in the Swimming vid at the actual location. Could be that the celestial coordinates of Cassiopeia or her "friends" (Perseus, Andromeda, Cephus constellations) or Pluto are significant or if there's any astronomical or astrological connection at all.
terminallycute
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: relationship between casseopia & canis major/minor Reply with quote

Hiya! Very Happy

I'm new to posting but have been lurking for awhile.

Has anyone done any research into the constellations canis major or minor and if there's a possible mythological relationship with the constellation casseopia??

Remember, I think it was mentioned that when Bree lived in Notinghamshire, her only friend was a dog. Her only other "friend" in the states besides Daniel, we would assume might have been cassie...

Anxious to hear what you all think.
~TC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
millionthwindow
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: random thoughts or delusions Reply with quote

It would make Bree Andromeda, and cassie her mother, but remember, a great deal of a person's life is projective. Think of the millions of people who have now 'seen' other people in the character of Bree.

I like this connection, because then Db is somewhat cast as 'perseus', remember that Perseus defeats the 'sea monster' which comes to eat Andromeda when she is sacrificed.

A 'sea monster' can be a sign for any kind of dark and repressed or hidden urge or volition.

He kills the sea monster by using the head of the gorgon, a beautiful women whose head is covered with serpents.

Also remember that we don't know if Cassie is real yet, and could be a kind of a projection B has, a kind of idea of what her mother was like when younger.
CassieYesthatsmyrealname
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this was already brought up, but it could also be in reference to the story of Cassandra.

Given the gift of prophecy and then when she wouldn't return Zeus' love she was punished so that no one would believe her prophecies.

The myspace Cassie materializes and then the almost immediate discrediting. Not that I really buy into myspace Cassie, but it's something to chew on.
ducky
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canis Major and Minor are associated with the hunter Orion constellation. No connection to the Cassiopeia/ Andromeda story. From this page:

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/extra/OrionStory.html

Quote:
Followed faithfully by his companions Canis Major, and Canis Minor, he is the dominator of the northern sky. Madly in love with the daughter of King Oenopion of Chios, Metrope, Orion was consistantly denied marriage to her. His love for her raged, and while in a drunken stupor, raped Metrope. Oenopion consulted Dionysis, and found revenge. Dionysis casted Orion into a deep sleep, and plagued him with blindness.

So there's some similar themes to the current Bree/Daniel/Dad plot (Daniel banned!) but nothing to alert the media about, given that the links between the references and the possible meanings are kind of reaching. The interfering parent leading to tragic outcome is a pretty common theme anyway.

But add that to the list. If we're meant to take the "I'm into stars" as a meaningful hint, there's a few celestial objects directly named or possibly hinted at:

1) From the "Poor Pluto" vid: Pluto, Ceres, Xena (UB313 or Eris, Greek goddess of discord), Saturn and Jupiter, w/a mention of rings. If taken into consideration with the cephalopod tag then the Pluto reference might just be the Lovecraft thing.

Pluto kidnapped Ceres' daughter Proserpina and wisked her away to the underworld to be with him. Another mother/daughter-based myth where the daughter is kidnapped/ in peril.

2) Cassiopeia, from "Cassie," although the Cassandra reference seems more probable if it's a reference to anything at all and not just a randomly selected name. Andrea might be a reference to Andromeda (stretching it a bit), but then who or what celestial/ mythological reference is Paul? So that doesn't seem right.

3) Canis Major/Minor, or Sirius (the dog star).

Edit: From the "Driving" vid, there's a utoob tag that says 'denderah." There's a temple at Denderah which I guess has the Egyptian zodiac carved into the ceiling, so any astrological significance can be assumed but apparently Sirius is of great importance. Haven't read up yet, but here's a quote from a webpage:

Quote:
The Ancient Egyptians divided the night sky into 36 groups of stars, star-gods or constellations, known as decans, which rose above the horizon at dawn for a period of ten days every year. The dog star Sirius (goddess Sopdet, Septet) was the most important one.

Anyway, tc and maxuz are correct about Orion.

4) Turtles. It's turtles all the way down. Not astronomically significant, but it's based on Hindu cosmology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

Quote:
...a reference to various Hindu beliefs, including the myth that Vishnu's second avatar was Kurma, a tortoise on whose back the Mandara mountain rested, or that the tortoise Chukwa supports the elephant Maha-pudma who upholds the world.

The 'turtles all the way down" quote is probably a winky reference to the multi-layered "reality" of the web drama itself.

I don't really know how deep any reference goes anyhoo, or if they're references to anything at all. But it's fun to make connections just the same to see if you can make them fit. That's assuming something actually happens, and nothing's really going on as of yet, just hints of what might go down. I don't know that the cassieiswatching vid is Bree canon or not or a side project so I don't know that the recent developments there apply to the Bree saga.

Last edited by ducky on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
maxuz
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one a gain, may be unrelated, but the word "canibal" is derived from "canis." the romans, upon discovering islands populated with wild dogs, also found that the inhabitants to those islands ate people. as they named the island "canis" island, the flesh eating inhabitants were canibals.

it was the first think i thought uf when bree mentioned that false statement about the romans being canibals. and in esoterica, important information is often highlighted through either misspellings, or false information that's meant to point to something else.

with this star ling, i certainly think the dog star or orion fit into this somehow.
sparrow
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody ever listened to Cassiopeia...

Edit: what I get for posting tired. I was thinking Cassandra, not Cassiopeia. Smile

Last edited by sparrow on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
ducky
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi! Looks like Orion/ Sirius etc. might be more correct given the Dandarah thing. Temple of Hathor is located in Dandarah, not sure of the linkage to Orion in mythology but Hathor represents the Milky Way, which Orion barely intersects. Then there's that whole Nile/ Giza pyramids Milky Way/ Orion correspondance.

http://www.kemet.org/glossary/sah.html

Quote:
Sah (G/R Orion) - "The Buried One" The deified embodiment of the constellation Orion ... One plane of Old Kingdom pyramids is routinely oriented to face toward Sah (the other faces Canis Major, the constellation of Set).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> The Others in Bree's Life All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: