Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British Connection (use of "wanker")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushedButton
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja wrote:
Is she supposed to be English? I didn't know we clarified that...

Well she lived in Nottingham since before Bree lived there, then moved to London as far as I can recall, so yeah, for all intents and purposes, I think she is English.
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was never clarified that she was.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PushedButton wrote:
Kasdeja wrote:
Is she supposed to be English? I didn't know we clarified that...

Well she lived in Nottingham since before Bree lived there, then moved to London as far as I can recall, so yeah, for all intents and purposes, I think she is English.

Ah...there was so much speculation that I sort of started blocking the conversations about it out.
PushedButton
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iris2009 wrote:
it was never clarified that she was.

Bree was in Nottingham Aged 12, where she met Gemma. If Bree is 16 and Gemma is 19 then Gemma was 15 when she lived in Nottingham- Thats 4 years ago.
Gemma had a Dog, An old dog. Bree goes on about it in Mysteries of My Past ... Revealed. UK quarintine laws are quite strict when it comes to Dogs, so the chances are that if Gemma has an old dog then she'll have been in the country for a while - maybe even here whole life.
We know she's been there for at least 4 years and hasn't said anything about being anywhere else yet.
Beautiful Nightmare
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, of course, it was her dog to begin with. There has been some speculation that the dog in question was actually the dog that belonged to that other "ceremony family" that disappeared so fast, they even left their dog....

Sad Ah, for the good old days. Sad
DontHaveAClue
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PushedButton wrote:
UK quarintine laws are quite strict when it comes to Dogs, so the chances are that if Gemma has an old dog then she'll have been in the country for a while - maybe even here whole life.
We know she's been there for at least 4 years and hasn't said anything about being anywhere else yet.

Come on PushedButton, quarantine (in proper english, even british english, it's "quarantine"...sorry I couldn't resist!Laughing ) doesn't last years! At most 6 months in the worst case (EU laws). So the dog could have come from NZ. Or maybe she adopted it while in UK, or maybe.... there are lots of possible explanations for that old dog. It's not evidence Gemma is brit.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of the w-word may have just been an overlook on the Creators' part, if it's such a harsh word as you say. In America, things like "wanker" and "bloody" are kinda stereotypes of British slang and are often used pretty off-hand, not even like swear words. But it sounds like Gemma the person would have known better... may have just been overlooked.

Or she really really really doesn't like P. Monkey!!! Shocked This may go back to childhood trauma at the zoo or something! Question
PushedButton
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
The use of the w-word may have just been an overlook on the Creators' part, if it's such a harsh word as you say. In America, things like "wanker" and "bloody" are kinda stereotypes of British slang and are often used pretty off-hand, not even like swear words. But it sounds like Gemma the person would have known better... may have just been overlooked.

Or she really really really doesn't like P. Monkey!!! Shocked This may go back to childhood trauma at the zoo or something! Question

Finally, someone gets my point. Smile
DontHaveAClue
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
The use of the w-word may have just been .....pretty off-hand.

I love your sense of humor BK!
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontHaveAClue wrote:
Broken Kid wrote:
The use of the w-word may have just been .....pretty off-hand.

I love your sense of humor BK!

Ooo...good one! I didn't even think of that! Embarassed
Mirage
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
This may go back to childhood trauma at the zoo or something! Question

Ew, I don't even want to know what kind of childhood trauma at the zoo involves monkeys and "wanker". Shocked
PushedButton
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirage wrote:
Broken Kid wrote:

Ew, I don't even want to know what kind of childhood trauma at the zoo involves monkeys and "wanker". Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgxFciglMg
Mirage
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PushedButton wrote:
Mirage wrote:
Broken Kid wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgxFciglMg

I am never going to the zoo again. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Higgypop
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm British, the word wanker wouldn't really be used as it was in the video if it was written by a Brit.

It doesn't bother me, it happens all the time in US TV shows too, American writters use stereotypical British words to build to British character - fair enough.

Other examples are Charlie in Lost, he overs uses the word wanker and bloody and says things like "I watch a nature documentary on telly on the beeb" which for an American would make him sound really British but to a Brit it sounds like an American script.

We are probably more likely to say "I watch a nature documentary on TV on the Discovery Channel" but that's not very British.

So, I see the original posters point but it is an American show and therefor is scripted as such.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mirage
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higgypop wrote:
I'm British, the word wanker wouldn't really be used as it was in the video if it was written by a Brit.

It doesn't bother me, it happens all the time in US TV shows too, American writters use stereotypical British words to build to British character - fair enough.

Other examples are Charlie in Lost, he overs uses the word wanker and bloody and says things like "I watch a nature documentary on telly on the beeb" which for an American would make him sound really British but to a Brit it sounds like an American script.

We are probably more likely to say "I watch a nature documentary on TV on the Discovery Channel" but that's not very British.

So, I see the original posters point but it is an American show and therefor is scripted as such.

To be fair, Charlie IS a recovering heroin addict. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't understand what he was saying half of the time. Laughing

Is bloody considered that bad of a cuss word?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: