Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The next installment will be newbie friendly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it means for the most part the puzzles won't be as deep as they have been for a bit. We have had some multi-layered puzzles as of late, and pretty much know exactly what to do (craigslist post = degol and others immediately pulling the post apart for code, hex to ascii, etc) without having to be told. So I'm guessing the puzzles will allow others to get into the swing of things, then will ramp up to challenge us.

Maybe we should use some past advice that OpAphid has provided for the start of this new chapter: use the info you have to guide, don't just give it away.
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:

Maybe we should use some past advice that OpAphid has provided for the start of this new chapter: use the info you have to guide, don't just give it away.

I think that is a very good idea. Sorry if I seemed to jump on you, before, but I came in here after not being able to log in..find all these changes and look around and see people being pretty crappy about new players. I was a bit resentful and I think that's a justified human emotion. Honestly, we aren't looking for handouts...just something like you list here and/or a FAQ. Someone suggested it in the Plot Discussion, I believe it was. Just things that tie in to LG15, not a summary of everything you've done, etc. I didn't want to get started in OpAphid after the CiW fiasco. I've watched a few vids and such, but decided I'd done my anagram time with CiW and didn't want to have the possibility of wasting time on another ARG that could turn out the same. Now that we've had it officially tied in, I'd at least like to lurk. CiW vets are pretty good at puzzles, so just give us some time and we'll probably be a huge help.
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kasdeja, I'll forgive you if you forgive me!

Truth be told, I suck at puzzles. My forte seems to be pointing out the obvious, my black belt with Occams Razor, and my willingness to blow a tank of gas in the middle of the night to retrieve an SD card from BFE.

We need ppl who are good at puzzles, so I don't have to be Smile
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
Kasdeja, I'll forgive you if you forgive me!

Truth be told, I suck at puzzles. My forte seems to be pointing out the obvious, my black belt with Occams Razor, and my willingness to blow a tank of gas in the middle of the night to retrieve an SD card from BFE.

We need ppl who are good at puzzles, so I don't have to be Smile

I second that. The only puzzle so far that I have been any good at was the music mash-up one. Other then that, I am simply here for comic relief Very Happy
JenniPowell
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanceismusic wrote:
i think we should be able to continue at the pace we have been. New people havent had a problem jumping in before.

As someone who came into OpAphid in the middle, I agree with this 100 percent. Keep your eyes and ears open and you can catch up pretty quickly. And take it from me, these guys are totally cool about catching people up.

LonelyJew15: The Original "New Girl"
Farva
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, good point about guiding instead of stating. With two sides, it seems half the fun to this game could be inter-player subterfuge...which side am I on? Which side are you on? What the bleep do we know, anyway?
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farva wrote:
You know, good point about guiding instead of stating. With two sides, it seems half the fun to this game could be inter-player subterfuge...which side am I on? Which side are you on? What the bleep do we know, anyway?

Pretty much we work together, but very few people actually trust each other. Its very funny, actually.
Cassie_xx
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NillaWafers wrote:
I think that's BS. We've all been trhough sleepless night working on these puzzles and NOW we have to start over cus it's canon? Bad call, creators, BAD CALL.

I think OpAphid must have been canon for some time now, we just didn't know?
Danielle
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYONE TAKE A DEEP BREATH
Feel better now? Everyone?

I'm getting really frustrated with the attitude that is going around on this forum, this is hardly a war. So can we dispose of the them vs. us mentality.

People from both sides of this argument are getting immature and out of hand. I can see both frustrations, I've been following OpAphid as a lurker for about 3 months and finally registered and opened my mouth about it a month after lurking. I understand how cliquicy everything seems to be, but if you treat everyone with respect you can get on just fine.

There has been an elitiest attitude at times in the IRC, and I'm willing to stand up and say that yes at one time I did contribute to this attitude. But the thing about attitiudes are, they can be a problem. An attitude problem if you will. I had one, but I've dealt with it.

I'm sick of seeing personal attacks going on, lets not go off on each other's characters and cool off. There are positives to this, as well as negatives... right now everyone needs to be patient and have faith that the creators/pms know what they are doing.

All I can say for the new people to OpAphid (but not new to LG, and I get that) is please check out the Aphidpedia and watch the videos. All you need is a basic knowledge of who the players are, don't worry to hard about how we cracked every code... because the reality is; thats all in the past now. Please read up and try to find the answers yourself before littering the forums with "I don't understands" and "I hate this" comments, but if you do need help... please ask in a polite and respectful manner. You will get a response in a polite and respectful manner as well. Its as easy as that.

So if everyone can just take an advil and cool off a minute, I think this ARG has the potiental to be a groundbreaking success. Everyone just needs to take a deep breath, and stop littering the forums before you cause our darling Mods (who do not get enough thank you's) to have a melt down.

Thanks very much,
Danielle

//edit deleted an extra tag
<DTayl> i'm the bad sister
Kasdeja
Hymn of One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought it had pretty much settled down, now...
ladron121
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danielle...your mom ! Twisted Evil

how's that for mature Laughing

sorry, couldn't resist
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladron121 wrote:
Danielle...your mom ! Twisted Evil

how's that for mature Laughing

sorry, couldn't resist

lmao
i lurve you landron!

LURVE yes i said LURVE!

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sphinx
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JenniPowell wrote:
romanceismusic wrote:
i think we should be able to continue at the pace we have been. New people havent had a problem jumping in before.

As someone who came into OpAphid in the middle, I agree with this 100 percent. Keep your eyes and ears open and you can catch up pretty quickly. And take it from me, these guys are totally cool about catching people up.

As someone else who came into OpAphid in the middle, I agree too.

People are working hard at creating excellent catch-up threads, and organizing the forum.

I would also urge new players to do what I did -- treat the vids, profile updates and drops as if you are playing in real time, and attempt to solve things on your own. It's a really exciting way to catch up, and, in my opinion, way better than having everything handed to you on a silver platter.

As far as the next clues, I really hope that the level of difficulty doesn't drop. Hopefully it will just be different instead of straight-forward.
Anne
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you all think that they're gonna have to explain everything to us. All the "newbie friendly" thing means is they won't keep solutions secret as soon as they get figured out anymore. I think I read this on LGpedia... it's going to continue like it's been exactly, but last time Op had the people who figured it out first wait 2 hours or something before they could tell the rest of us-- that's all they're changing... now everyone will know as soon as people crack the puzzles... you still have to catch up the same old way. I think this will make the game more fun - especially for Liberal Arts major like me who suck at math Laughing lqtm
NillaWafers
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne wrote:
It seems like you all think that they're gonna have to explain everything to us. All the "newbie friendly" thing means is they won't keep solutions secret as soon as they get figured out anymore. I think I read this on LGpedia... it's going to continue like it's been exactly, but last time Op had the people who figured it out first wait 2 hours or something before they could tell the rest of us-- that's all they're changing... now everyone will know as soon as people crack the puzzles... you still have to catch up the same old way. I think this will make the game more fun - especially for Liberal Arts major like me who suck at math Laughing lqtm

Well, she hasn't really done that. What happened is when people were called (on the phone), you either passed the test or not. Either way, Op sends you a message saying "If you know whats good for you, yo'ull stay quiet until I give the word". This was extremely frustrating for most of us, and after of a few days of complaining/being frustrated, Op promised that we wouldn't have to retain information for longer than a few hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: