Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A public apology
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: A public apology Reply with quote

damnatio memoriae.

Last edited by ApotheosisAZ on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
covedweller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave!

Everyone makes mistakes. I think that is why the thread got locked/deleted though... confusion on top of confusion. Laughing
helix52
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you confused me with that

But I accept your apology and I don't think you should leave.

Team OpAphid

"Never interrupt a voodoo doctor."
"When forging a letter to nab a perp, be sure to use grammar and spelling appropriate to the education level of the person you're impersonating."
ravensgrace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I third the motion.
[04:03] <lyriclyinclined> with the exception of a bad apple pucker incident
twjaniak
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...

Smiley posted what she did as an act of betrayal against OpAphid. (in-game)

ApotheosisAZ made a post to discredit Smiley and protect Aphid's secret aggenda. (in-game)

The resulting actions boiled over into an out-of-game nightmare.

Stuff happens. Let's learn from it and move on.

Smile

TW
covedweller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And everyone needs to remember:

WE'RE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE IN THESE FORUMS!

POSTING MISINFORMATION HURTS EVERYONE.

Regardless of which side you think you're helping.

Oh, and I think it's safe to assume universally that "private message" always means "private message."
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnatio memoriae

Last edited by ApotheosisAZ on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twjaniak wrote:
Let's see...

Smiley posted what she did as an act of betrayal against OpAphid. (in-game)

ApotheosisAZ made a post to discredit Smiley and protect Aphid's secret aggenda. (in-game)

The resulting actions boiled over into an out-of-game nightmare.

Stuff happens. Let's learn from it and move on.

Smile

TW

So when did the problem show up? Really, I think it's important, 'cause how are we supposed to learn from it?

I think the problem is the confusion/overlap there is between the character OpAphid and that OpAphid ARG's Puppet Masters. It is understandable that many players keep thinking Op=PM, as she's the one that's been directing the game, although Tachyon has recently had a hand in the direction of the game as well, notwithstanding her lack of direct communication with the players. However, as I said elsewhere, no matter how much OpAphid tries to be in control, we should be smart enough to distinguish this overt nature of a (so far dominating) character with whatever direction the PM wants the game to take. This is critical if we are to have a real conflict buildup, plot development, and a satisfying resolution to it.

I have to say there also seems to be a confusion, perhaps by extension of the one mentioned above, about what the moderators role is supossed to be. In one post I read the term Operator used interchangebly with moderator. This is very suggestive of a member/employee/assitant of Operation Aphid. Be that the in-game organization or the oog ARG, it is a confussion that shouldn't be made, for the sake of us all Wink hehe. I'm not saying this was a deliberate manipulation of their of responsibilities by any of the moderators, just saying that the use of the term may betray a subconscious attribution as protectors of the ARG's integrity, and not just of the forums, as the moderator role entails.

[Edit: I'm not against the role of Operators, as a representative of OpAphid (in-game) or as a moderator for the OpAphid ARG (oog, just like the new moderator that has been announced, Chat Diaphony lol funny name). I just think separation of powers seems like a good practical solution to the "who watches the watchers" issue. Wink ]

Does this make any sense? I'm really trying to understand where the problem occurred, so we can learn from it and correct it.

As I've said elsewhere (unfortunately I think it went to the rubbish bin), OpAphid moderators have done a great job dealing with the chaotic nature of these forums, and they shouldn't be faulted with miscommunication problems between the PM, the admins, or themselves. I'm forever grateful for all they've done for us all.
covedweller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the chaos started from a quick succession of events about the prank phone calls Shifty received and the delay in moderators locking/deleting the thread (since there was no direct ability for the OpAphid/Tachyon PMs to do such a thing at the time).

Had it been some random claim from anyone else, I don't think it would have been such an issue in the grand scheme of things. But it got this odd momentum and I personally got in a flame war with people, many of whom were longtime players of this ARG, because a few of us were skeptical of Shifty's claims. I take some responsibility for that, because I think that for many defending Shifty equalled defending the validity of the phone calls.

We should really all be mad at whoever was prank calling him. I won't even compliment it by calling it a gamejack. The well-timed confusion is the only thing that worked in its favor.

Then, to further add to the drama we got KillTheSmiley's post of a private email from OpAphid that a few of us also received. I think it was a terrible idea to respond to it with fake OpAphid emails, and that is probably why the thread needed to be locked down. Op said it was okay to discuss in IRC but not on the forums, and I am sure Op had her reasons. Re-reading it, I think she wanted a few people in the Bree/Jonas chat as a "just in case" if OpAphid came up, but the chat was about Bree/Jonas so there was no big public push for people to attend and make it about OpAphid.

Anways, it took awhile for the mods to lock/delete that whole thread, and apparently there was more miscommunication so it turned into even more drama about who was acting on who's behalf, etc.

Maybe I am missing something, but the whole thing just seems like an unfortunate coinciding of two seperate issues that brought about the need for clarity on what was going on and who is taking orders from who with any and all things meta.

That, and I really wish they would call this ARG something other than OpAphid, because like a lot of you every time I see the term OpAphid PM I think there must also be a Tachyon PM. So at least the name they chose for their mod is a mix of both words. Laughing

If we all play nice (or at least respectfully), I doubt we'll ever have to see them. Given the lag time and chaos it created, they can nip a potential crisis in the bud, which (as much as we might like to complain about it) is their right because it's their game.

Damn. I hate when this much happens and it has ZERO to do with the actual story. Let's at least keep this drama in the General/Meta section where it belongs.

'nuff said?
DontHaveAClue
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apo, do not blame yourself. I'm speaking here because somehow I have a part of responsibility in the whole thing because of my reaction this morning (I did apologize too when things were told). When I read your posts yesterday, and because I knew what was going on, I thought you were absolutely brilliant. That was a superb move, totally in character, you did what you were supposed to do. I really was like "WOW the game is on". The whole stir comes only from a misunderstanding somewhere...in spheres we have no control on, us players. As far as I'm concerned you played your part brilliantly. I wouldn't say the same about the PM. But let's turn the page. I just hope these instances of Role Playing will be possible again in the future, with the understanding of everyone on board.
MrsCop
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

covedweller wrote:
And everyone needs to remember:

WE'RE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE IN THESE FORUMS!

POSTING MISINFORMATION HURTS EVERYONE.

Regardless of which side you think you're helping.

Oh, and I think it's safe to assume universally that "private message" always means "private message."

Well typed, coved

~tigerlilylynn
covedweller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontHaveAClue wrote:
Apo, do not blame yourself. I'm speaking here because somehow I have a part of responsibility in the whole thing because of my reaction this morning (I did apologize too when things were told). When I read your posts yesterday, and because I knew what was going on, I thought you were absolutely brilliant. That was a superb move, totally in character, you did what you were supposed to do. I really was like "WOW the game is on". The whole stir comes only from a misunderstanding somewhere...in spheres we have no control on, us players. As far as I'm concerned you played your part brilliantly. I wouldn't say the same about the PM. But let's turn the page. I just hope these instances of Role Playing will be possible again in the future, with the understanding of everyone on board.

I think the intent of those talking points was to have some role-playing in chat, but in a limited capacity to start.

If we ever start doing that in the forums though, I think we'll get WAY too confused. Laughing
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cove, I think the Shifty situation wasn't that much conflictive regarding the moderators' actions. Sure, it was pretty awkward for the parties involved, and those defending the various interpretations of the events. But that all happened in the wee hours, the calls starting after midnight and the issue put to rest at around 5 am when both Op and Tach posted denials in their public profiles. Everyone had access to all the info so everyone could reach the correct conclusion that it was a prank. Only then the moderators proceded to move the thread, and whoever still thought it could be part of the game didn't have all the facts, but the facts were accesible to anyone who cared to look for them.

In the confidential email situation, not everyone had all the facts. So, it's clear that each person would conclude something different (even I fell for the ruse posed by the Op vets that it was a test for new recruits). The main problem was that there wasn't an easy way for neither Op nor Tach to ask for the removal of the thread, especilly when it became an oog nightmare, so the PM asked both TW and the mods here, who reached different conclusions based on the limited facts that they each had in that time. Clearly, if we had had then a mod that represented the ARG interests, this wouldn't have happened, and Chat Diaphony would have just said, "ok guys, this is getting out of hand and the PM wants it to stop." Maybe he would've been smart enough to leave the in-game plays people made, up to the point when everyone was confused as to what was in-game and what wasn't, but nobody would have complained, as we all now know Diaphony represents the PM's best interest, and not just Op's or Tach's.

Ok, lets move on please... Op or Tach, give us something to get over it!
MrsCop
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stadol 1cc IM q hr x 1 year

~tigerlilylynn
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no probs Apo...

it was in character in game...
i knew that in the time, but still took it personal as i've been playing along side of you for now.

i'm avoiding posting from now on until drops or puzzles or such...

but i felt i needed to respond to this as it called me out

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: