Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improve the forum on the video page ~ add an ignore button
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooda17
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kageyuki wrote:
First off, let me welcome you, Hooda17. Glad to see you've joined us here. I can only hope that you enjoy the conversation, here, as much as you have on the vid comments page. I hope you get the chance to take a look through the topics and get a feel for what it's truly like, here.

I hope I haven't spoiled your experience here. These are just my comments, though aren't comments what make any type of forum click?

Thanks, I appreciate the warm welcome! I have been lurking through the forums for months now, but just haven't found my niche yet. I'm afraid I've been a bit overwhelmed by the pastiche of threads. The volume and variety of topics discussed can be intimidating.

I apologize if I gave the impression that my experience has been spoiled in any way. I enjoy a good debate, and I encourage you to disagree with me.. it helps me to have an open mind. However, any pernicious jabs and I'll turn into Lucifer's spawn. Evil or Very Mad [Insert evil laugh here. Follow up with threatening glare.]

I think the forums are an excellent resource for a person seeking relevant plot discussion. However, for someone looking to kill some time while waiting for a new vid, the camaraderie offered on the comments page is a pleasant diversion. Ideally they would take their boisterousness to the chat room where it can be read only by people who choose to be there; however, the chat software is not readily accessible to a lot of people who would like to do just that. Right or wrong, the comments page has become their chat room. If they are going to "pee all over the board" regardless, I'm sure you appreciate that it stays in the comments section and that it hasn't dribbled over into the forum. This is exactly why the difference between the two communities actually helps to maintain peace. If you try to force the two groups into bed with each other, you're going to have an out-and-out WAR for the covers.

[Please note that I use the word "you" only in the general sense. My comments are not directed at any one person in particular unless I specifically say so.]

At the risk of sounding confrontational, Annie, I would like to point out that your opinions are based on what you have admitted to be only brief glimpses of the comments page (as that is all you could stand.. LOL). I have seen numerous requests from regulars here in the forum that newcomers respectfully take the time to read through the various threads and become acquainted with the material before posting. This is no small task. If you had reciprocated and taken the time to slog through the many comments after each vid, I think you would feel differently about the community there. Yes, the first hundred posts tend to be a bit clamorous, but after that most people start to discuss weightier matters. There are posts in the comments page that have as much or more substance than posts in the forum and should not be considered less worthwhile simply because of their location on the site.

Think of me as an ambassador of sorts for the vid commenters. In my own highly biased opinion, I think that as a whole we are misjudged and widely misunderstood by Forumites. We may be a bit ... gregarious, but we know how to be mature when the mood lends itself to that. And I promise-- rough math at the top of my head, I'd say that at least 85-90% of us are even potty-trained. Smile
annie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hooda17
At the risk of sounding confrontational, Annie, I would like to point out that your opinions are based on what you have admitted to be only brief glimpses of the comments page (as that is all you could stand.. LOL). I have seen numerous requests from regulars here in the forum that newcomers respectfully take the time to read through the various threads and become acquainted with the material before posting. [/quote]

Actually I had been a regular on teh comment page (and joined the forum in early september), but was put of by the contingent that nnow dominates.
I've been back long enough to see that the same cr*p prevails. I don't need to scroll through ten posts by people trying to be the center of attention by yelling about their own post, to see that.

The comments page is the "face" that new visitors to this site first see. From teh reactions of people I had hoped to share the videos with, the impression is not positive.
*sigh*

Your heart seems to be in the right place, Hooda17, and I appreciate you communicating, but the reality is that a dominant clique's main behavior is to post nonsense in an effort to jockey into center stage at the expense of the comments page being "friendly" for anyone.
annie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kageyuki wrote:
Thanks for your compliments! I try to be concise when I write a response, but sometimes, I go a bit overboard. Luckily, where I work has a reliable wireless internet connection, so I can log on with my laptop while I'm at work and get updates on LG15 and from the forums even when I'm at work. Anxious

(See what I mean by "going overboard" I'm usually not this talkative. It usually only happens in forums... )

I'm sorry, I hadn't thought about that; that people may not want to join the forums becuase of prior obligations to other forums, or just general disinterest. I know some people just want to post recreationally, but don't these forums have guest access?

I loved your analogy using the lunchroom setting, it is so fitting! It isn't fair for this clique to be able to take over the lunchroom, but I can remember visiting other friends' high schools and that their schools had multiple lunchrooms. Therefore, other options than having to go out for lunch. Yeah, you had your 'assinged' lunchroom, but that never stopped anyone from trying to go to one of the other lunchrooms.

In a way, that's kinda what these two entities are like... Two separate places for the same thing. It isn't fair for them to own the whole thing, but if you notice, they don't really own "it all" there are always those few people who keep going to that lunchroom, even though the clique doesn't 'accept' them.

Maybe they can add other "lunchrooms" intstead of changing one?

I hope that you slept well. I've enjoyed communicating with you, as well, and hope to see you around!

Thank you, kageyuki. Good post ~ I enjoyed reading it!

I'm turning in for the night -- it's been a l-o-n-g week. Pleasant dreams to you!
Hooda17
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, annie. Smile
kageyuki
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main point, here, is that both entities try to coexist without having to pick at each other's faults. Both the comments page and the forums have their strong points, but also their shortccomings.

In the long run, people have the choice to choose which one they would prefer to voice their opinions in. I'm still pretty sure that these forums have an option for guests to walk in somewhat anonymously to look through topics and may be able to post in them. I'm not sure about this since I hadn't tried that before signing up.

Whether or not the comments page gets a "facelift", making it more user-friendly, why not take it as it is, for now. Either that or just continue to converse here, in the forums and don't worry about what may trouble you about the comments page.

I've enjoyed taking both of your comments, Hooda17 and annie. I hope this will not be the last that I hear from either of you.

that's all there is to say about that... say anything else and it'll make you look stupid.

I <3 SARAH!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
annie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kageyuki wrote:
The main point, here, is that both entities try to coexist without having to pick at each other's faults. Both the comments page and the forums have their strong points, but also their shortccomings.

In the long run, people have the choice to choose which one they would prefer to voice their opinions in. I'm still pretty sure that these forums have an option for guests to walk in somewhat anonymously to look through topics and may be able to post in them. I'm not sure about this since I hadn't tried that before signing up.

Whether or not the comments page gets a "facelift", making it more user-friendly, why not take it as it is, for now. Either that or just continue to converse here, in the forums and don't worry about what may trouble you about the comments page.

I've enjoyed taking both of your comments, Hooda17 and annie. I hope this will not be the last that I hear from either of you.

I 'hear' you and see where you're coming from, kageyuki. I would agree with you if the "fiiiiiirst" nonsense were not so obnoxious and intrusive, and the clique not so domineering.
The main point, in my opinion is that the comments page is, theoretically, for everyone, but, in reality, it is not, and that's just not cool.
Agreed: there is a guest login at the forums -- but if you see a membership at the video page that puts you off, why would you go further? i.e. most people are going to assume the forum is more of the same, and/or simply want to "snack" rather than sit down for a meal, and just prefer a "comments" page.
There's absoluetly no reason why the clique couldn't tone it down enough to respsect the "outsiders" who want to comment and interact on level ground, and still have their fun -- unless their fun depends on domineering, and _that_, I think, is the key issue.

Ah, well... Yahoo has addressed this kind of thing and I think that message boards on other servers are gradually follwing suit.

Best regards to you, kageyuki!
Hooda17
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kageyuki wrote:

Same goes, kageyuki, and you too, Annie. I appreciate that your comments are well thought-out.

kageyuki, I'm sure you'll be seeing more of me- I enjoy the forums.

Annie, I know where you are coming from about the comments section; I had that same distasteful feeling when I first started visiting this site. Regulars on the comments page learn to quickly sift through to find the meaningful posts, just as I'm sure you have had to do in the forum, albeit in a different way. I feel badly that you have friends who were put out by the community on the main page. I'm sure the Creators would be disheartened to hear that. Unfortunately, it is always harder to control what happens in the playground than it is to control the classroom. Hopefully most visitors recognize it for the peanut gallery that it is.

I've enjoyed the discussion with you two. Peace
Luv2Skydive
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's more, the forums (to a casual observer like myself) seem dominated by nasty flame wars"

I don't see this really going on at all......the Moderators are quick to locate and stop this behavior. I see heated debates and a few immature comments but nothing that could be considered a war.
annie
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hooda17]
I've enjoyed the discussion with you two. Peace [/quote]

Likewise Hooda17, it has been good exchange ideas with you, and I enoty reading your ideas. Best to you! ...and Peace.
kageyuki
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

annie wrote:
Hooda17 wrote:

I've enjoyed the discussion with you two. Peace

Likewise Hooda17, it has been good exchange ideas with you, and I enoty reading your ideas. Best to you! ...and Peace.

Hooda, annie... Thanks for your input, you guys!

I hope the both of you do decide to make this place a home for yourselves. I know I would definitely enjoy either of your presences here.

that's all there is to say about that... say anything else and it'll make you look stupid.

I <3 SARAH!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: