Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The song "My Name Is Jonas," was it a clue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Jonas aka Jonastko
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exanimatebylove
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows songs with their name in em. C'mon now. The Rolling Stones were out looooooooong before I was ever around and I still rock out to 'Angie' every now and then just cuz I love it. I mean, it's got my name in it. lol. It's a great song too. But, I'm not sure that this means anything. Besides the fact that he liked hearing his name in a song. lol. Very Happy

Get lost within the things that make you happy, and you will never be alone...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia:
"My Name is Jonas" was inspired by Rivers' brother Leaves who got into a car accident at Oberlin College and was having problem with his insurance. According to Cuomo himself "’Jonas’ explains how The Plan is reaming us all, especially my brother.

I don't see a connection to the plot. Maybe the insurance thing. Jonas parents got lost, and he gets money.. nah..
marlasinger
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Older than he says Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
It could just be a sign that he's older than he says he is (19?). That song was on the first, self-titled Weezer album, right? That was like 1994. He was automatically defensive of the fact that he knew who Max Hedrum was in the first video he posted. Those commercials came out in the mid-80's. Plus, he referenced the Terminator II movie which is from 1992 or so. I realize that he's a movie buff, but considering that every reference to pop culture he makes is from the early 90's, I'm thinking he's closer to my age (26)...or whoever's writing the script is closer to my age and didn't bother to research stuff that most 19-year-olds watch and listen to. Still, it's pretty conspicuous, so it could be an intentional nod to his older age...although Daniel referenced another random 90's movie, Point Break. What was the point of that?

Wouldn't go there baby. Most of what I listen to/love is from the 80s and I was born in 85 - wasn't even around for Oingo Boingo or The Talking Heads. Wink

Jonas makes awesome references ("This isn't Reservoir Dogs") and I think it's just because the creators know they have a demographic that stretches out across many ages for lg15, and they're reaching out to all of them.

The Bree Solution.
http://one.revver.com/watch/330795

"Also... im in ur canons... supporting all ur marlas."
-AutoPilate
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 80's nostalgia amongst young folks these days is about as rare as 70's nostalgia was about 10 years ago. A 19-year-old's awareness of a non-single on Weezer's first albums peeks my curiousity a little more than that. I do buy your demographic argument though. Jonas' little references did appeal to me afterall...Plus, the creators are my age.
Sami
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty well known song.
I'm 19, me and my friends listen to weezer's albums from time to time
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Older than he says Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
It could just be a sign that he's older than he says he is (19?). That song was on the first, self-titled Weezer album, right? That was like 1994. He was automatically defensive of the fact that he knew who Max Hedrum was in the first video he posted. Those commercials came out in the mid-80's. Plus, he referenced the Terminator II movie which is from 1992 or so. I realize that he's a movie buff, but considering that every reference to pop culture he makes is from the early 90's, I'm thinking he's closer to my age (26)...or whoever's writing the script is closer to my age and didn't bother to research stuff that most 19-year-olds watch and listen to. Still, it's pretty conspicuous, so it could be an intentional nod to his older age...although Daniel referenced another random 90's movie, Point Break. What was the point of that?

Haha. You would notice the Max Headroom nods. You always loved that commercial! I googled it and he's actually a British character. The Coke commercials were just a small part of his career. It is funny that he would mention that.

But Point Break . . . probably not that random if you're from Cali, I think.

I agree about Jonas, though. He seems a little worldly for 19. And when did he find time to throw keggers with his nanny watching over him? I know, I know, he's supposed to be an orphan . . . and any one of these things can be explained away. But when you add them all up, he does seem to be older than he's letting on.

. . . plus what's with this really young "aunt" of his. Jonas gets ultra protective when Daniel is attracted to her. I'm kinda wondering if it's his wife or something. She has no pictures from the past few years. . . supposedly, she swore off photography, but I think there must be another reason. I'm going to have to go watch the party vids again.
Chelseyrl
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The song "My Name Is Jonas," was it a clue? Reply with quote

imogene2004 wrote:

My name is wepeel !
Got a box full of your toys.

Wouldn't that be something if Jonas' last name was Wepeel Laughing

You just had a Kyle moment.
d'oh!
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garnet, you rule! I never thought about Jonas and Alex being a couple! That WOULD explain the lack of pictures and Jonas' "worldliness." Perhaps the picture with Lucy was accidentally left out, and when Bree spotted it, Jonas and Alex STAGED the whole "I'm really with the Order and your parents are still alive" stuff. Perhaps Jonas planted that essay of his father's in order to convince Bree that he wasn't part of the Order. It could have been Bree's own father's essay that he stole. It did all seem a bit coincidental that Jonas would randomly get involved and then find out that his family was part of some big anti-Order movement.

I DID love that Max Hedroom commercial as well as the nods to it in the _Back to the Future_ sequel. I suppose if anyone should have an understanding of being worldly and media-savvy at a young age, it should be me. I think I have far too much in common with that Jonas character and therefore would like him to be my own age and evil.
mincartaugh
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Older than he says Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
It could just be ... He was automatically defensive of the fact that he knew who Max Hedrum was in the first video he posted. Those commercials came out in the mid-80's.

LOL! Oh, chile, Max Headroom was a show in the late '70's! I do like your theory, though. He could be older than he claims. What would that matter?

So. Tell us, Jonas, did you lie about your age?

The Methuselah of the group,
Mincartaugh
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Jonas is more worldly than I am. I only remember Max Headroom's Coke commercials. Weren't they for "New Coke"? It's hard to remember; I was 7. If Jonas starts talking about New Coke or Crystal Clear Pepsi, then we'll know for sure it's a conspiracy!
garnet
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail wikipedia, source of useless information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_%28character%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_%28TV_series%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_Pirating_Incident

There's actually a disambiguation for Max, as he is a character who did New Coke commericals in the 80s, a TV show from Great Britan in the 70s, and also part of a pirating incident in which he took over the air waves in the US . . and possibly Australia???
Cleo
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, we're totally off the thread of the song now, but I was thinking (after looking at that fabulous Wikipedia entry of useless knowledge) that the story line behind the Max Headroom TV show might have something to do with Bree. The title character is supposedly offed by a large corperation and re-embodied through AI effects. As weird as it is, there's still that theory that Bree could be something other than human.
terminallycute
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just hafta throw in my two cents.

Having actually grown up in the 80's (I graduated high school in 1988)-I can remember the Max Headroom tv show, it aired 1987-88. It sucked, btw.

Point Break is a cult classic, and came out in 1991. Back to the Future is a huge classic, the whole trilogy started in '85-I remember seeing it at the theater.

I don't think it's unusual for Jonas to have such a huge knowledge of 80's & 90's pop culture. After all, living alone in a huge house by himself and a nanny, he probably watched alot of cable TV, including alot of reruns of older shows & movies. Think TBS & TNT, not to mention TV Land, and the Family Channel.

Then there's the current fascination lately of 80's music by people who didn't even really experience the era---younger people mostly, who were only just born in the 80's.

I really don't think it means anything at all, just that he's well-versed in pop culture, playing the foil perhaps to Bree, who knows nothing really about pop culture at all, focusing instead on science & the like.

~TC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mincartaugh
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminallycute: LOL! Since I actually was old in the '80's, I'll defer to your memory of the time line. The coke commercial came AFTER the show, though.

My take on the show was that it was quite good. Some of the issues we deal with today were first addressed on Max Headroom. The biggie was who owns the net. Granted, the net they spoke of was the network of television, but that's pardonable since the internet hadn't really taken off til the late '90's. It's possible that the difference in our taste lies in the difference in our ages.

Mincartaugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Jonas aka Jonastko All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: