Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More to the Drop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Luv dip the contents of the drop in lemon juice and shine a black light on it?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 29 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured this could come in handy, if you happen to come across a fume cupboard. Do you know of anyone who may have one? I suggest calling any local laboratories, due to them usually having some.

acidfingers
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out some resources online

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_ink

Quote:
A cover message should be written over the invisible message, since a blank sheet of paper might arouse suspicion that an invisible message is present. This is best done with a ballpoint pen, since fountain pen writing may 'run' when it crosses a line of invisible ink, thus giving a clue that invisible ink is present. Similarly, invisible ink should not be used on ruled paper, since it may alter or streak the colour of the lines.

The card was blank, not ruled or anything. Luv, was the writing in the card made with a ballpoint pen?

It looks like all signs are pointing to invisible ink. I think we're really onto something!
[13:09:39] <marlasinger> acid's like a pussy sore, if you keep playing with it it just gets worse.
horcruxes
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like this idea.
its really well thought out.

i think this will work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kellylen
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of dipping it in lemon juice, which may ruin the card completely if its that wet from the juice, i suggest taking a paintbrush and brushing the lemon juice on.

if you need a blacklight I know that some pet stores will rent them out to owners to check if their dog/cat pissed on the floor.

if that fails go to your nearest spencer's store. in the back they always have a bunch of blacklights on display and they are usually on
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps misting it would be better. You don't want to wash away any message. A perfume atomizer or spray bottle might be best.
alysaface
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you guys been watching national treasure? hehe.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=alysaface

stalk me.

You were so much cooler before you got your little PHD in everyone elses problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Luv2Luvem
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellylen wrote:
instead of dipping it in lemon juice, which may ruin the card completely if its that wet from the juice, i suggest taking a paintbrush and brushing the lemon juice on.

I really want to make sure this works. I think dipping would be better.

I shall get some rest when the profile tells me to.
shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luv2Luvem wrote:
kellylen wrote:

I really want to make sure this works. I think dipping would be better.

I agree, we only get one attempt at this. Best to do the dipping, I say. That way, you can be sure as to cover the entire envelope with the lemon juice and not miss anywhere.
alysaface
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought this might help.. before you do anything you might read it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_ink

http://youtube.com/profile?user=alysaface

stalk me.

You were so much cooler before you got your little PHD in everyone elses problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
acidfingers
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, accuracy is the key here. If we only get it partially exposed to the lemon juice, it may not fully show the invisible ink, and could destroy the card in the process. It's got to be a surefire way like dipping the card or possibly pouring the lemon juice on the card in a tupperware container
[13:09:39] <marlasinger> acid's like a pussy sore, if you keep playing with it it just gets worse.
surrealisticpill
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, it would be best if we could get ahold of a spectrophotometer. this would tell us the wavelength reflectance for anything that could be written on the items of the drop, including wavelengths outside of our visible realm. if there was something written in near-UV or near-infared, we would discover this with the use of a spectrophotometer.

Luv, are there any universities nearby that might let you borrow this equipment?
Luv2Luvem
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acidfingers wrote:
Yeah, accuracy is the key here. If we only get it partially exposed to the lemon juice, it may not fully show the invisible ink, and could destroy the card in the process. It's got to be a surefire way like dipping the card or possibly pouring the lemon juice on the card in a tupperware container

You mean like, letting the card actually soak in the lemon juice? That's interesting.

I shall get some rest when the profile tells me to.
windsong
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how wikipedia recommends intercepting invisible ink:
Quote:
Interception of secret messages

Any invisible ink can be made visible by someone who is sufficiently determined, but the limitation is generally time available and the fact that one cannot apply hours of effort to every single piece of paper. Successful use of invisible ink depends on not arousing suspicion.

Telltale signs of invisible ink, such as pen scratches from a sharp pen, roughness or changed reflectivity of the paper (either more dull or more shiny, usually from using undiluted ink) can be obvious to a careful observer who simply makes use of strong light, a magnifying glass and their nose. Also, key words in the visible letter, such as 'red cabbage' or 'heat', in an odd context may alert a censor to the use of invisible ink. Invisible ink should not be used with glossy or very smooth paper types, since the sizing of these papers prevents ink from being absorbed deep into the paper and it is easily visible, especially when the paper is examined under glancing light. There are, however, commercially available inks for non-porous surfaces that are only visible under ultraviolet light and are otherwise virtually invisible on these kinds of surfaces.

Using either ultraviolet light or an iodine fume cupboard, messages can be quickly screened for invisible ink and also read without first permanently developing the invisible ink. Thus, if a censor uses this method to intercept messages, he may then let the letter be sent to the intended recipient who will be unaware that the secret message has already been intercepted by a third party.

A "screening station" could theoretically involve visual and olfactory inspection, an examination under ultraviolet light and then the heating of all objects in an oven before finally trying exposure to iodine fumes. In theory, some invisible inks may even show up using a camera sensitive to infrared light.

I wouldn't dip the card in lemon juice since lemon juice is a form of invisible ink and may wash out the message rather than reveal it. Check with a black light first.
shifty
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

******ATTENTION: LUV2LUVEM:******

I thought I would include some tips to help you juice lemons; incase you had some lemons but no lemon juice:

1) Room-temperature lemons will yield more juice than those that are refrigerated.

2) Microwaving the fruit for 15 to 20 seconds before squeezing will help extract more juice. Don't overdo it. You don't want to boil the juice.

3) Use your palm to roll lemon around on the countertop a few times before squeezing.

4) If just a few drops of juice are needed, pierce the skin with a toothpick and squeeze out what you need. To store it, reinsert the toothpick, put the lemon into a plastic bag, and refrigerate.

Last edited by shifty on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
kageyuki
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sure dipping won't make the ink run, then go for it. Otherwise, misting or blotting the card, might be better.

that's all there is to say about that... say anything else and it'll make you look stupid.

I <3 SARAH!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: