Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DISCUSSION] Handling Drops in the Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Noava22 that using one operator is wise, but have a backup if possible. In other words, a primary operator and a secondary operator, someone you can switch to in the event of a communications failure.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
I agree with Noava22 that using one operator is wise, but have a backup if possible. In other words, a primary operator and a secondary operator, someone you can switch to in the event of a communications failure.

...Or in the event of mid-drop shopping.

Seriously, we ended up with a 4 person long call tree. Blarg!
surrealisticpill
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's what i think... in agreement with most of you...

- once the drop retriever arrives on the scene, #operationaphid should be devoiced, except for the operator and 4 chat mods (or other designated persons)

- everyone should have #tachyon open as well. (this room already exists so we might as well use it). Everyone will have a voice in #tachyon and may chat freely (but ON TOPIC).

- the #operationaphid chat mods will monitor #tachyon for messages to convey to the operator.

- we should change the topic in #operationaphid to let people know that they are devoiced, and that they can go to #tachyon to share their ideas.
Sad Panda
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:
ApotheosisAZ wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you're going to volunteer to be an operator on a drop day, you need to be in the chat and available.

Having someone call to call someone else to call somone else to call the operator won't work.
horcruxes
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Panda wrote:
tigerlilylynn wrote:
ApotheosisAZ wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. If you're going to volunteer to be an operator on a drop day, you need to be in the chat and available.

Having someone call to call someone else to call somone else to call the operator won't work.

witholding the drop-getters number and making someone dig through their old cell phone bills in order to find their number, won't cut it either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sphinx
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that utilizing #tachyon for questions for the peanut gallery in the chat would be a great idea.

I suggest we also have a drop question thread on the forum, for those who can not get into chat. Even though they aren't experiencing the drop like we are in the chatroom, a non-chatter may have something to offer.

Might make everyone a little happier.
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read all the comments here (thank you everybody), this is what I am proposing for the next drop:

1. When the drop vid/clue comes out, establish drop retrieval team members based on location, drop retrieval experience, and availability (i.e., not riding your pet camel to the drop). Establish a primary drop retriever, who will be responsible for communicating with the operator while looking for/opening the drop.

2. Establish a primary operator and a backup operator for the drop. These people MUST MUST MUST be IN the chat the ENTIRE time a drop is going down--from the second the drop team leaves home to ten minutes after they leave the drop site.

3. The primary operator is responsible for communicating with the primary drop retriever and relaying information to the chat. The backup operator is of course there to take over should the primary operator have to leave, but if there is more than one person going for the drop, the backup is also responsible for helping to coordinate a meeting place.

4. IRC #operationaphid will remain open and voiced for ON-TOPIC discussion from the time the drop team leaves until they arrive at the location. At that time, #operationaphid will be set to +m (moderators and selected speakers only), and all other ON-TOPIC discussion will move to #tachyon.

5. We do not currently have ops in #tachyon, and because that room does not belong to anyone who comes to the chat anymore, we will not be able to create them. Therefore, people will mostly have to police themselves--and since staying on topic is really the only way for you to get your questions relayed from #tachyon to #operationaphid, that should be an easy choice.

6. Once the drop retrieval team has met, the backup operator, along with the #operationaphid ops, will be responsible for monitoring #tachyon for questions/concerns/hints/etc. The purpose of having the backup operator watch #tachyon is just to provide another set of eyes looking. Both the primary operator and the backup operator will be voiced in #operationaphid.

7. IRC #operationaphid will remain on +m mode until the drop is retrieved and the drop team heads home.

So, to recap:

Primary dropper- communicates with primary operator en route to drop, at drop, and about drop, works with drop team at drop

Drop team- goes and finds drop

Primary operator- communicates with primary dropper, relays drop information to #operationaphid. DOES NOT even LOOK at #tachyon, and receives NO PMs with questions.

Backup operator- takes over from prim op in case of emergency, helps arrange a meeting place for the drop team, and monitors #tachyon during drop.

#operationaphid- devoiced during drop, used ONLY for relaying drop information and questions

#operationaphid ops- Relay questions/hints/suggestions to prim op and monitor #tachyon

#tachyon- for ON TOPIC discussion during drops

That's my proposal. Let me know what you think, and, barring serious problems, we'll give it a test run this weekend (if there's a drop)!
surrealisticpill
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good plan tilt.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away for a bit and I'm not sure I can play tonight, but that sounds like a great plan. I hope it works well!!
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should someone be appointed to update the forums during and after the drop is retrieved? Or does that always fall on the Incredible Four: Panda, Rom, Tiger & Tilting?
stuart2004
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I have never used the chat before but what if you could split everyone up say 1 voice for every 10 ppl??? that would have put 7 ppl in actual chat last time..is there anyway to do this.... that way no ops or mods would be left with huge audiences???just my basackwards idea

antagonist of the LG Defense Force
Sad Panda
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I had a thought last night.

What if, instead of a two way phone conversation with the Operator and the dropper, we make it a threeway ( Twisted Evil ) and add a "Scribe"?

This person could be on the phone line and stay mostly quiet for the duration of the call. But they can listen to what the Operator and the Drop retriver are discussing and write it out for the chat. This way the Operator can focus on helping the Drop retriver and the "Scribe" can work on getting the information from the chat to the person on the phone and vice-versa.

deagol wrote:
Should someone be appointed to update the forums during and after the drop is retrieved? Or does that always fall on the Incredible Four: Panda, Rom, Tiger & Tilting?

Well, here's the thing about that. The reason it falls on us is because we have the power to edit anyone's post. Therefore, it is easier when we divide the work amongst ourselves because we do not have to worry about who started what Drop thread ... any one of us can take over. Does that make sense?
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda...

I like your idea of a three way communication drop. The operator and retriever relay messages to each other, and the scribe communicating with operator about the info on the chat.

That would probably be the smoothest possibility.

Again, Great Panda, I am awed.
Luv2Luvem
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going to chime in here. Not because I have any kind of solution, but because I have been in all situations during a drop, and maybe something I say can inspire some ideas. I'm just going to relay my experiences as a chat spectator, an operator and a retriever.

First of all, as a chat spectator during a drop, the real problems do not start until the retrieval is actually underway. Because there are so many people, it is very hard to make heads or tails of anything when so many people are talking at once. I have been in the chat and have had absolutely no idea what is going on because I've missed something the operator has said because it got lost in the rest of the posts. Also, it's very frustrating when you have an idea for the retriever, but that also gets lost in the sea of posts.

Now being an operator is, in my experience, the hardest job. Not only are you furiously watching the newest drop video and brushing up on all the info you can to help your retriever, you are responsible for keeping the chat updated. This is fine....up until your retriever can't find what they are looking for, and you have to ask the chat for help. This is when all hell breaks loose. When you ask for help, everyone starts talking all at once. Also, you naturally have to explain where the retriever has been, what they have done, where they have looked, to get any sort of constructive feedback. Otherwise you get the same answers over and over. (Can anyone say "under the stairs?" Wink) Once you have updated the chat as to what the person has done you have to sift through all the answers to get any viable options to tell the retriever. This is the hard part. When your retriever says there is no flag pole in sight, there is no point for the chat to keep on and on about said flagpole because your operator needs more answers. This is the most stressful part for me, because in my mind, the first job of the operator is to help the retriever in any way they need.

As for being a retriever, well this to me is the easiest job. Until there comes a point when you need help from the chat. Then all the problems for the operator become problematic for you, as you have to wait (sometimes 5-10 minutes) for an answer. Also, it is frustrating when everyone is telling you to look somewhere that you have checked many many times. Also, in my case I was put in a situation that was time sensitive. I was asked a question that had a specific answer that I needed to know. I was given the chance to call and get help, but I did have a time limit. I didn't get the right answer.

I know this post is nothing but a list of everything that can go wrong, and has absolutely no ideas about how to change these things. But I just thought that as someone who has been in all situations, maybe the different perspectives will trigger an idea for someone.

I shall get some rest when the profile tells me to.
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luv:

That is why I think Panda's idea is great.

The operator can stick to looking at vids and relaying back and forth to the retriever. He or she does not have to be responsible for going to the chat and wading through garbage...leaving the retriever stuck somewhere for no reason.

The communicator can totally be held responsible for sifting through the chat to find good ideas. He / she can tell the operator what he or she has found in the chat room that may be of help. Since the communicaiton person knows what the Operator and Retriever has discussed....then it is easier for them to get information they need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: