Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guess it's time to take the donation button down, huh
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesbrent
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Guess it's time to take the donation button down, huh Reply with quote

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3624087

Lonelygirl15 Creators Woo Mad Ave, Launch Production Co.

By Zachary Rodgers

December 1, 2006
Greg Goodfried, one of the creators of scripted video blog Lonelygirl15, has a message for the advertising community: Bree, the show's moon-faced and home-schooled main character, will hawk your wares.
"Bree is a fictional character, but she lives in the real world," Goodfried told ClickZ. "She interacts with products on a daily basis. She has to use a cell phone. She has to drive a car."

Goodfried and Creative Artists Agency, the talent agency representing Lonelygirl15, have recently begun shopping the episodic show around Madison Avenue. They're seeking to cut ad deals for the breakout Web hit which for a few weeks last summer became mandatory viewing for Web video addicts and a topic of fascination for media columnists everywhere.

Goodfried and CAA will offer advertisers a range of methods to reach its audience, including banners and sponsorships on Lonelygirl15.com; but the big focus is on product placement. That's because LG15's main distribution channel is YouTube, which doesn't share ad revenue with content creators. Hence, storyline tie-ins are the show's only recourse to ad revenue since the majority of fans are watching the show on YouTube.

A recent LG15 video involved a product placement of sorts. Though a pro bono effort, the video, featured Lonelygirl15 actress Jessica Rose gazing into a Webcam in trademark fashion; however, this time she spoke about global poverty to promote The United Nations' Stand Up Against Poverty Campaign, rather than gabbing about boy and family troubles. Arranged by Young & Rubicam, it marked the first project from Web video production company Telegraph Ave. Productions, the latest offering from LG15's co-inventors, Miles Beckett and Mesh Flinders. The firm will develop new series and provide marketing support to generate online buzz for traditional film and TV releases, and may do work for other verticals as well.

LG15's originators are laboring to reduce their reliance on the video sharing platform where Bree found her first success. After LG15's first wave of popularity, the show's founders began publishing all their videos on Lonelygirl15.com and developing special content there, including forums and chat features. A recent twist in the storyline sought to drive more YouTubers to the Web site. After her hotel room is ransacked, Bree asks her viewers for some assistance. "All the comments you guys have been giving us have been really useful, so I was thinking maybe you guys could help us out. I'll be in the chat rooms tomorrow at lonelygirl15.com at 6:00 pm Pacific Time, so if you want to come on then, you should."

As it turned out, the chat software only allowed 100 participants at a time, but Goodfried said 350,000 visitors flooded the site between 5:00 and 7:00 pm. Six extra chat rooms were set up to relay information from the main room.

Such efforts have helped grow the Web site's audience to approximately 25,000 unique visitors per day. By comparison, each new video gets about 300,000 views on YouTube, where LG15's videos have garnered the most subscriptions on the site.

Videos on Lonelygirl15.com are hosted with Revver.com, which pays a percentage of ad revenue to creators. Additional inventory on the site is sold through ad networks, including ValueClick and BidVertiser.

Going forward, ad products will be more creative. Sponsors will be attached to specific sections of the site, such as the video responses or the forum. A sponsored video contest might take the theme "Proving Science Wrong," a takeoff on Bree's tongue-in-cheek video entries of the same name. "We'd let people upload their own 'proving science wrong' videos. Have it sponsored by, say, HP and [the winning] fan gets a new laptop," said Goodfried.

He suggested technology, clothing and cosmetics advertisers could be good fits for the show's audience, which he characterized as primarily between the ages of 16 to 28 and tech savvy. He added Lonelygirl15 might partner with an ad agency, which could then develop packages and represent its inventory to clients.

Marketing tie-ins with the storyline itself will have a light-touch. "We want to keep it as authentic and keep as much artistic integrity as possible," he said. "We hope we can get the right advertising partners who understand that, who don't want to take our videos and turn them into a three-minute ad for the product, but who really want to embrace what we're doing for what it is, and let it help them get their message across."

Previously an entertainment lawyer, Goodfried handles most of the business tasks involved in LG15's production, such as reaching out to music labels on soundtrack integrations with the show. He characterized director/producer Miles Beckett as "the visionary behind the whole thing."

All in all, Lonelygirl15 remains a scrappy operation. "The cost isn't crazy. We pay the actors. There are some costs for the video, the props, the food. We all left jobs where we were to do this."

He said the payoff was the chance to create something completely new and "100 percent interactive."

"When people talk about Internet video or Webisodes, they're often stuck in this static vision. Every component of our Web sites is used to tell the story. Our characters go to the chat room, use the forum, read our video responses."

On the advertising front, he said, "We just need to find that one right person who gets our vision."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you are claiming that on the night of chat you had 350,000 UNIQUE visitors?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this article is rather interesting to...

Click here

"Saturday Night Live" rehearsals may be webcast
Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:39 AM ET

By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - NBC is mulling broadcasting Friday night rehearsal sessions of "Saturday Night Live" on the Internet.

It's just one of the many scenarios the digital future could deliver, according to NBC Universal chief digital officer George Kliavkoff, who openly mused about the possibilities Wednesday at the Digital Entertainment Media & Marketing Excellence conference at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles.

"Sometimes it's a lot more interesting than the show," Kliavkoff joked, referring to the closed-circuit footage of "SNL's" Friday dry runs viewed at NBC headquarters. "It's something we watch on the cameras at 30 Rock."

Opening the window to "SNL" rehearsals might represent a case of art imitating art imitating art yet again at NBC, which already has mined behind-the-scenes happenings at the sketch comedy franchise as comic catnip for the Tina Fey half-hour series "30 Rock" and dramatic grist for Aaron Sorkin's drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip."

Kliavkoff, who has been overseeing NBC Universal's digital efforts since coming over three months ago from a similar post at Major League Baseball, was participating in a panel discussion on digital media when he presented the "SNL" idea as one of a growing list of original content ideas bubbling up at the company's digital studios.

Much of the panel's discussion centered on whether the emergence of user-generated content will become an art form unto itself or just a way for establishment media to skim the cream of the crop. "We see the Internet as our new A&R," Kliavkoff said, referring to the music industry term for talent scouting. "We're out there scouting. The good stuff bubbles up to the top."

Steven Starr, founder and CEO of viral-video outlet Revver, begged to differ. "From our point of view, we see creators develop with no intention of going offline," he said. "(Internet actress) Lonelygirl15 is making a substantial amount of money on a weekly basis just by being online."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter[/url]
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still isnt making them enough.
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayHank wrote:
I was disappointed to see Greg Goodfried quoted in an advertising Web site, ClickZ news, saying that the chat received 350,000 visitors.

Here's the article: ClickZ News

It was pointed out numerous times in this thread and other places that this number was not even remotely accurate. The site did not have 350,000 unique visitors. The video in which the chat was announced had not even been viewed 1/2 that many times -- there was no way 350,000 people knew.

And yet although this number was exposed as inaccurate it was nevertheless presented as part of an advertising pitch? This seems like a flagrant lie, or even fraud. And if you're going to lie, at least know how to back it up.

There's a Web site called Alexa that tracks traffic at Web sites. Alexa exposes 350,000 unique visitors for the complete lie that it is.

Alexa rankings for lonelygirl15.com

Alexa reveals the truth -- that the amount of traffic at the site the day of Breechat was not even double the typical traffic -- and not even close to 350,000 people.

gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

lesbrent wrote:
Quote:
So you are claiming that on the night of chat you had 350,000 UNIQUE visitors?
I see your frustration about the first piece as people are disputing the figure. I wasn't involved in the chat, and I have no way of logging visitors. And if I could, I wouldn't know what to do with the information anyway. But your point of concern is clear and reiterated in JayHenry/JayHank's most recent post. This I understand.

However, I am feeling rather unsavy today as I don't quite understand what the second article shows in relation to the first. (Maybe you intended no relation between the two.) Star's point as stated in this article is that the actress is making a substantial amount of money.
Quote:
"(Internet actress) Lonelygirl15 is making a substantial amount of money on a weekly basis just by being online."
I'm not sure why this part is bolded. I guess the term substantial is relative. It seems that you are trying to use this bolded statement to imply something. But your point is not really clear to me (chalk it up to a rainy, dull Friday in my part of the world Neutral ), and the article does not follow up with Star's explanation or any other sources that provide further explanation. You seem frustrated enough to post this one thread and link to it in a completely unrelated thread. So I guess I am saying that I am intrigued, yet I don't quite understand your concern about J.L.Rose's salary. Please explain so I (and others can understand). Are you saying the donation button down should come because of J.L.Rose's substantial salary, or that there are not as many viewers as are claimed, a little of both, a little of neither? (I promise I have not gone to happy hour although it is happy hour in my time zone.)

The creators of LG15 seem to respond to concerns rather quickly. Either way, hopefully, whatever is bothering you will be resolved. Perhaps messaging the creators directly would help.
GoodGollyItsHolly
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is revvers definition of a lot of money anyway. SAG actors dont come cheap. Im guessing it is costing the creators a grand per actor each day they shoot. Not to mention other incidentals.

This website isn't cheap. Producing a form of entertainment on this scale is wildly expensive. You don't have to donate if you don't want to, but discouraging others from doing so may not be so good.
lesbrent
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo, thanks for your analysis of me posting two articles! It was linked in the other thread because it was a discussion of the fans "squelching" the CREATORS creativity, when I feel it's the reverse! I'm so over the God Worship. The Creators, like a heavenly being.

Simply put. I guess it's time to stop asking the fans for money if you are ad shopping, huh? They had us thinking how broke they were until the head hancho at Revver (the second article) points out that they (I did not read it as the actress, Jess Rose) are making a substantial amount of money. Edit - how would he personally know what Jess is making? But he would definately know what Miles, Mesh and Greg were bringing in.

This doesn't even require a response, does it?

gogo, I was the first person to tell the creators to put a paypal account button on here. I'm a little Jaded because I believed they were so broke at the time they couldn't afford to pay Yousef. I feel like the wool has been pulled over a lot of people's eyes.

The number manipulation thing bothers me too. Such lawyer speak as to impress, but carefully worded so not libelous in nature.

Complaints and Concerns don't always need a response.

The response can be a clearer conscious and more honesty.
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever thought that the quote was a lie made up by the news group??
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesbrent wrote:
Gogo, thanks for your analysis of me posting two articles! It was linked in the other thread because it was a discussion of the fans "squelching" the CREATORS creativity, when I feel it's the reverse! I'm so over the God Worship. The Creators, like a heavenly being.

Simply put. I guess it's time to stop asking the fans for money if you are ad shopping, huh? They had us thinking how broke they were until the head hancho at Revver (the second article) points out that they (I did not read it as the actress, Jess Rose) are making a substantial amount of money.

This doesn't even require a response, does it?

gogo, I was the first person to tell the creators to put a paypal account button on here. I'm a little Jaded because I believed they were so broke at the time they couldn't afford to pay Yousef. I feel like the wool has been pulled over a lot of people's eyes.

The number manipulation thing bothers me too. Such lawyer speak as to impress, but carefully worded so not libelous in nature.

Complaints and Concerns don't always need a response.

I can't comment as to whether or not the Creators have any contractual agreement with Revver or not. But , it seems to me that there would be much more co-branding if that were the case. I believe that the average click per view amount paid is around 6 cents. That hardly translates into a windfall, so "substantial amount of money" may be a relative phase. It may only mean "in comparison to most Revver broadcasters".
silvermoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodGollyItsHolly wrote:
What is revvers definition of a lot of money anyway. SAG actors dont come cheap. Im guessing it is costing the creators a grand per actor each day they shoot. Not to mention other incidentals.

This website isn't cheap. Producing a form of entertainment on this scale is wildly expensive. You don't have to donate if you don't want to, but discouraging others from doing so may not be so good.

SAG actors (the main characters) on a super low budget film (which I guess this would be comparable to) usually make less than $1,000 per week. This is for a film that has a budget of 500,000 or less. I'm not sure what this would be considered, it's not exactly a film, but I would think that their budget is even lower than that.

The average income for a SAG member is about $7,000 a year.
GoodGollyItsHolly
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just totally disagree with you les.
silvermoon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iris2009 wrote:
have you ever thought that the quote was a lie made up by the news group??

The numbers are the same ones that have been stated on the forum right after the chat.

Why would the news group pick that same number? Why would they even bother to lie about something like this. It's not a tabloid talking about Britney Spears getting out of her car inappropriately.
lesbrent
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodGollyItsHolly wrote:

The world would be an extremely boring place if we all had the same thoughts and ideas. Very Happy
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silvermoon wrote:
GoodGollyItsHolly wrote:

SAG actors (the main characters) on a super low budget film (which I guess this would be comparable to) usually make less than $1,000 per week. This is for a film that has a budget of 500,000 or less. I'm not sure what this would be considered, it's not exactly a film, but I would think that their budget is even lower than that.

The average income for a SAG member is about $7,000 a year.

I remember reading in one of the articles that Jess is being paid $500 per week. Hardly a substantial sum of money. The trade-off of course is all the publicity she's getting which really could translate into a substantial sum of money down the road.
GoodGollyItsHolly
P. Monkey's Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesbrent wrote:
GoodGollyItsHolly wrote:

The world would be an extremely boring place if we all had the same thoughts and ideas. Very Happy

That however i do agree with Smile
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesbrent wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for explaining. After my rather long day, I am now more clear about where you are coming from. Your frustration is obvious, so I assume (hopefully Angel ) that the God worship remark wasn't directed at me personally, but rather as more of a general statement of how you feel people regard those responsible for this whole lg15 enterprise. It is clear that you are fed up with many issues regarding this series. Know that my suggestion to personally message those with whom you had an issue was meant sincerely. I thought you wanted answers (again the Friday thing). However, now I understand that you are just sharing your concerns, complaints and venting. I guess there's nothing I can do to help Sad . I don't have the kind of frustration that you seem to have with this lg15, but thank you for responding and clarifying. I am feeling less stupid.

(Now, I can go to Happy Hour...I know who I'm praying to tonight Pray . )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: