Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still figuring out these drops...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Still figuring out these drops... Reply with quote

Okay, I'm still working out the reason for the drops. I know that Tachyon is leaving information via drops - information she stole from the OpA center. I'm just not getting the reasoning here. I know the drops shed light on the story and allow for interaction...that's not my question. I'm trying to figure out where WE fit in all this.

Is this information meant for Brother? For OpA? Both?

If so, why are we snagging them instead of Brother or OpA? Are we supposed to be intercepting them for OpA so Brother doesn't get the info? Or are we getting them on Brother's behalf? Tachyon has referred to Brother's "friends" (us?) helping him out...but how is it helping any of them if we reveal the contents of the drop for everyone to see?

I know there are some people who have chosen "sides" here...and I know the history of that (with the phone calls) but I'm wondering how any of that fits together.

If there are two opposing sides at work here...and yet they're all working together to snag to the drops, how is that benefitting one side or the other? With the last rounf od puzzles, we learned that Gemma and Borther have a bit of a history and that there was an attempt on Brother's life. Why would the OpA folks want that information out? I imagine they wouldn't...and yet, people who may be on their "side" are helping to solve the puzzles. If I were an OpA person, I'd want to take the drop and hide it without it being solved for the public. That make any sense?

Are there some secret OpA or Tachy forums somewhere that us "regular" folks don't know about because we're not on any "side" per se? What's to say that one of the drop retrievers is an OpA person and plants or removes information from a drop to confuse us? Yes, I know that's against the "rules" -- but would OpA peeps care about rules?

I'm sure this is sufficiently confusing...it pretty much reflects where I'm at, though.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Still figuring out these drops... Reply with quote

There was one drop with warnings early on that Op was meant to see, other than that all info has been meant for Brother, Daniel via Brother or Brother or Daniel via Brother's friends (us).

We pretty much nab them on behalf of brother because we need Tachyon to confirm solves as Op cannot tell us what Tachyon meant.

As for everyone sees, this is a matter of suspension of disbelief. Moreover, most of Tachyon's drops are things that Op had so she's not gaining.

Sides do not have in game effects thus far and probably will not due to loyalty to the character met first, OpA. For the good of the game we cannot hold info from other players so sides are non-issues in the gameplay, only in the tone of our letters.

There are no other boards or chats for sides becuase sides aren't truely in game and would hurt the players and the game if they existed.

Also, I'd ask you to think about this line:
Quote:
Yes, I know that's against the "rules" -- but would OpA peeps care about rules?

If you are familiar with D&D and similar table top RPGs then you know people often play evil aligned characters. This doesn't mean they hog the mountain dew and hide character sheets. They just do evil things in game.

Also, the drops have (as far as I know), with the exception of Noa, been collected by Op's "people" but they have contained anti-Op material. We only align to the point of saying "Op is hot" "Brother is dumb" "Tachyon sucks at bowling" and so on.

Last edited by tigerlilylynn on Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ruberic
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most games of this sort, each side helps each other figure out the clues (that way they are done faster). Having said that, there are very few of these games that have TWO oposing sides as such. But right now, we are working together, and then supposedly utilizing that information as needed.

In the future there may be a pull apart of the two groups as is dicated by the game; however, right now there is no conflict of interest in the two groups working together.

As for why are we involved? The last set of messages indicate that brother is being watched, and they don't want him to blow his cover. As such, we are to gather the information, analyze it, and post our findings. Brother will recieive them that way.

If I menitoned anything incorrect, someone will be along soon to correct me. Very Happy

-Ruberic

EDIT: As usual, Tigerlily beat me to it, and explained things much better.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruberic wrote:

EDIT: As usual, Tigerlily beat me to it, and explained things much better.

Which is weird because I'm on vacation and online waaaay less. o_0

Seriously though, you were more pithy and better addressed the "conflict" issue. ^_^
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys...that does help a bit.

If we are snagging these on behalf of Brother (which was what I'd pretty much figured we were doing) then why would Brother have shown up at the drop in Petaluma? It may have been an accident that they saw him, but ultimately...from what I read, Brother was the one who addressed luv and her brother first.

I'm actually NOT familiar with RPGs...so maybe that's why I'm all out of it.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:
Thanks, guys...that does help a bit.

If we are snagging these on behalf of Brother (which was what I'd pretty much figured we were doing) then why would Brother have shown up at the drop in Petaluma? It may have been an accident that they saw him, but ultimately...from what I read, Brother was the one who addressed luv and her brother first.

I'm actually NOT familiar with RPGs...so maybe that's why I'm all out of it.

Brother showing was not intentional. To my understanding, the PMs came to check on the package under the stairs, found it gone but also found no signs of the drop team having it. Brother was then engaged by the drop team and another package was dropped in its place under the same stairs that the team had looked at.

This was just filling in the holes of a jackeddrop where a non-player picked it up.
kayokosaeki
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Still figuring out these drops... Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:

If you are familiar with D&D and similar table top RPGs then you know people often play evil aligned characters. This doesn't mean they hog the mountain dew and hide character sheets. They just do evil things in game.

you just gave me an awesome flashback Very Happy hahaha, hog the mountain dew....
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to beat a dead horse...

In terms of sides and retrieval of the drops, I think it works like this:

If you're on OpA's side, then you want to retrieve the drop and solve the clues so that you can tell OpA more about what Tachyon has stolen.

If you're on Tach/Brother's side, then you want to retrieve the drop and solve the clues so that you can transmit Tach's messages to the proper person.

If you have a pulse and are reading these forums, you want to retrieve the drop and solve the clues so that you know what happens next.

No matter how you look at it, it makes sense for everyone to work together to get the drop and make the solves...our reasons are different, but our short-term goal is the same.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:

This was just filling in the holes of a jackeddrop where a non-player picked it up.

What with the SD cards and such, that must get a bit expensive. Yikes.

Maybe the OPs need some lessons in hiding from geocachers...there's one, inparticular, that is a very generic, and unimaginative geocache hiding spot, yet totally invisible to the general public. It might make jacked drops less possible.

(I'm a big time geocache geek so hide and seek is definitely a forte...)
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: OpA's motivation to retrieve and decode Tachy's clues,

tiltingwindward wrote:
...If you're on OpA's side, then you want to retrieve the drop and solve the clues so that you can tell OpA more about what Tachyon has stolen.

Yea, sort of assess the extent of the damage.

Also, in-game only, OpA commands her oppites to intercept drops as a way to Protect the Order (from its secrets being made public) and Hinder Tachyon and her partner from communicating effectively. Obviously these reasons don't make sense out-of-game, but Op can't acknowledge any of the sharing here unless it happens IG, like Daniel mentions of Tackyon helping him, or an in-character post here from a supposed oppite braking cover and betraying Op, which unfortunately had to be locked and dumped. If you betray Oppy in-game, be ready to face the rewards of your actions... through insults of course (pfft, like that's so threatening), but I digress.

Another obvious reason for oppites to solve the clues is to collect information that wasn't stolen from Op, but instead comes from private communications between Tach and her partner. The BB puzzle is a good example, as now Op knows that "Sebastian" is still alive. A previous example was brother's final VM where he discloses that he's been to Daniel's house, and we find his YT profile. The actionable value of such "intelligence" aside, it was unknown to Op, and revealed to her through the messages being intercepted, decoded, and relayed to her or made public.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, I see...so it's really a metter of figuring out "in game" vs "not in game" then?

Let's take the BB puzzle...

Is it then assumed that OP doesn't "read the boards" here...but that the Oppites pass on that information having intercepted it?

Quote:
Also, in-game only, OpA commands her oppites to intercept drops as a way to Protect the Order (from its secrets being made public) and Hinder Tachyon and her partner from communicating effectively. Obviously these reasons don't make sense out-of-game,

Yeah....they don't. And I think that's the trouble and what isn't entirely explained for my thick head. In theory, an intercepted message would get communicated to Op, and Brother would never receive it...thus Op would know Sebastian is still alive, but Brother wouldn't know they knew that, nor would he get the confirmation about Gemma.

That's why the sharing of information is confusing...and figuring out the in game stuff.

I was asking my husband about it about an hour ago and he said that we should assume that the "board players" are essentially "double agents" - we're all working for both sides, but our true allegiances are never quite clear, and we should always assume any information we let out will get to the other side. Does that sound right?

It can make for interesting strategies if that's the case.
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was asking my husband about it about an hour ago and he said that we should assume that the "board players" are essentially "double agents" - we're all working for both sides, but our true allegiances are never quite clear, and we should always assume any information we let out will get to the other side. Does that sound right?

Bethy, this is a good way to think about it.

In an earlier drop (I think it was a drop), we were made aware that the drops we find are not Tachyon's only attempts to communicate information to Brother, which may explain why he sometimes appears to know information that we intercept in the drops.

Also, some people are clearly declared for one side or the other, while others are a bit shadier in their alleigance. But you're on the right track.
deagol
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:
Quote:
Also, in-game only, OpA commands her oppites to intercept drops as a way to Protect the Order (from its secrets being made public) and Hinder Tachyon and her partner from communicating effectively. Obviously these reasons don't make sense out-of-game,

Yeah....they don't. And I think that's the trouble and what isn't entirely explained for my thick head.... That's why the sharing of information is confusing...and figuring out the in game stuff.

Yea, don't worry about people choosing sides though. It doesn't affect the game, except maybe on how you interact with each character (Op will scorn you if you declare to her you're against her, and Tach could get nasty as well, which is actually a fun bonus for most players, but doesn't change the story one bit). Clearly, Op will tend to help her team with clues, but she will give hints even while pretending she doesn't want something figured out. Same thing with Tachy's recent helpfulness, pushing us to build that decoder ring, and providing a ton of hints for that Y: key to get the password to open her "confidential" letter to her partner, it's obvious that the point is to make it public so the story moves forward.

It's like rooting for Luke vs. Darth Vader, it doesn't affect the plot and in the end everyone gets rewarded when Vader comes around and offs the Emperor, becomes "one with the Force," they all have a party and get drunk and see spirits:

Laughing

At first I also thought that the sides would become relevant, that deception and double agentry would be rampant, fun fun. But that would quickly get out of control for the ARG creators, with gamejacking cries all around, just like with CiW. Notice how we really have to work together to solve each drop, each puzzle, how the drops are gamejack-proof, how no one player or group of them has all the skills necessary to figure out stuff on their own. Puzzles with songs and movies and ciphers and keywords and decoding tools and a good dose of plot analysis practically guarantee that everyone works together.
MrsCop
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the DARK Force to be with me. Just stick me in Yoda's left ear. I'll tell him nothing, won't hear a thing. And keep the codeine coming! Man, let me tell you, I swear I'm having labor IN MY HEAD!!!! Migraines=Living Hell

~tigerlilylynn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> OpAphid: Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: