Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(Not a complaint) Help me get back that “loving feeling”
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*removes jester's cap for a moment*

gogo, perhaps this observation will help:

I have recently noticed that when fan-interaction becomes "canon," it dies. OpAphid seems to be floundering right now, sinking into a cassie-esque quaqmire of unsolveability. Gemma is either dead or hacked. Jonas appears to be on the verge of a gender-role issue.

The Creators have a great show here. I personally love it! I have enjoyed participating in multiple aspects of the entire Breeniverse, from ARG to video response. However, canonization seems to be a curse akin to the Midas touch.

Some of these additions have been extremely well planned, and some of them seem tacked-on. Perhaps I am judging hastily and harshly, but it seems to me that as long as we have some fan-interaction that none would dream could be tainted by becomming "canon," there is hope.

*replaces jester's cap, and uses staples to insure it shall not come off again easily*

Garlic, eh? And here I was using Cavender's.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

APAZ-
Hmmm, zany friend, you're confusing me with the "canon" talk. Think
I do enjoy the interaction and being able to create videos and share them and what have you. This has kept me connected with this community and the great folks with whom I have become acquainted. I am quite happy being a viewer (perhaps a hyper-interactor-view.) Please don't get me wrong, I am not looking to be a part of this story; I just want some closure to some earlier points in the story before moving ahead to new clues and ideas. (I am still stuck on issues/clues/questions from before the homelessness phase- but folks are helping me stop pining for the past...)

I am happy that you are enjoying the story so much. It is evident by your great videos. I will continue to do my thing, and I am happy to have the opportunity to share my fun hobby. I guess I have felt guilty for paying attention and participating in just about everything else but the story. I know it is not a life-shaking issue and rather trivial in light of world events. However, I just lost some interest in the story itself, and I wanted it back.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply <---how your reply feels
I hope you realize that I suck.::The finest satire is that in which ridicule is combined with so little malice and so much conviction that it even rouses laughter in those who are hit.-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
MrsCop
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya gogo! CB and Smiley are trying to get all us forumites(?) together in LA for a convention of sorts. Hope you can join us, and I hope this makes you smile. Very Happy

~tigerlilylynn
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mommy lives in LA. Since I'm in New England, she does owe some babysitting time...

Thanks for the heads up, Mrs. Cop Wink
I hope you realize that I suck.::The finest satire is that in which ridicule is combined with so little malice and so much conviction that it even rouses laughter in those who are hit.-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo wrote:
APAZ-
Hmmm, zany friend, you're confusing me with the "canon" talk. Think

I can see how that would seem confusing. I guess I really was refering to people like myself, lordgreystoke, Dr. Immant, Nikki Bower, etc. who really are on the fringe. Only a bigger fool than me would ask Apo to become canon.

Oh yeah, I can see now how I confused you there. That was kind of stupid of me.

My excuse for seeming foolish; it's in my nature.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not foolish, just thoughtfully zany. Cool

edited to add:
APAZ wrote:
I guess I really was refering to people like myself, lordgreystoke, Dr. Immant, Nikki Bower, etc. who really are on the fringe.
Oh, I live in the shadow of the fringes, so I kinda think I get what you were saying.
SuspiciousMind
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milowent wrote:
SM, you joined this board the day it was founded, was your handle on the old phorum the same?...

Yup. I hung around a little bit, wrote some nonsense verse and fan-fic. That all went bye-bye. Oh well.
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apo..I think what you're seeing (about canonization=slow death) is insightful. Sad. Strange.. yet insightful!!
*Daniel's Fan Club Founder
http://www.youtube.com/whitetigerdream
*My Books: http://www.laurapaxton.com/borderline.html
Morgan
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why when they announced that viewer suggestions and fanfiction may be implemented and welcomed, I wondered if they really had a solid plan for a story line in the first place. Which is disappointing if they don't... so many things that seem like important clues could potentially be just nothing? uhg.

._. I hope this isn't the case.

<3 Danielbeast <3
covedweller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd to me that people see the ARG hiatus as a death when it hasn't even disappeared. There have been videos and communication, just not the fever pitch of dead drops there were for many weeks. If it weren't coming back ever, I think we'd be informed. But if a start date were announced, the "this is not a game" crowd would be stoning The Creators.

Anyhow, I'm in the less vocal camp who are just taking it easy until things kick up again. Any downtime is worthwhile if we get a solid story and experience as a result.

To make a comparison, LG15 slowed down its posting schedule for close to 2 weeks, and this last week has been one of its strongest and most interesting. In fact we might all be more stoked getting 2-3 amazing videos a week over 4-5 that are of varying quality.

The Creators and the Intelligent Designer(s) behind OpAphid should be allowed to catch their breath and think through the stories they want to tell. A clear and consistent vision is always more enjoyable and interesting to follow than something done under pressure the pressure of a deadline.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Creators and the Intelligent Designer(s) behind OpAphid should be allowed to catch their breath and think through the stories they want to tell. A clear and consistent vision is always more enjoyable and interesting to follow than something done under pressure the pressure of a deadline.

I don't think people are asking for a multitude of rushed videos over quality. Quality is the reason why I created this thread in the first place. I would agree that writers need time to get their stories together, but this might be my initial concern as a viewer who is used to viewing programs (on TV and in movies) with a story already set. I understand that this is a work in progress and there is really nothing to compare it to.

I guess I am not used to a story that is not set ahead of time. This implies to me that the direction of the story is not a direction at all, but more of an after-thought based on what the diverse posters on this forum state. I go back to my initial woe that at this point, there seems to be few plot/story devices that have been planned to this point. Hence, anyone's theory (aliens, sea creatures, illuminati, menstrual issues) all seem to be reasonable theories in some way and this is frustrating.

I know this seems like complaining, but I am a strong supporter of this series. I don't want it to fade from an interesting pursuit of art and creativity into a far-fetched internet novelty only viewed by the fans of this forum and not able to sustain itself financially.
covedweller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this gets made up as it goes along any more than your average TV series.

Most have a general idea of where they want to go over 3-5 years, but really they take it one season at a time (sometimes with only a loose outline of the whole season and they're only writing 4-6 episodes ahead).

I see no evidence that the show is strictly for the forums, either influenced by them or catering to them. However, there is so much stuff people speculate about on here that some theories are bound to be right if only by the reasonable probability someone will come close through the process of tossing stuff out there.
gogo
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most have a general idea of where they want to go over 3-5 years, but really they take it one season at a time (sometimes with only a loose outline of the whole season and they're only writing 4-6 episodes ahead).
I had no idea that you were in the television production business. I would certainly like to hear more about your experience. I am sure I could learn a few things.

However, since this not a television series, I guess there is no precident for planning or writing an episodic internet series. It is funny that you say there is no evidence that this show is strictly for the forums. This site is where all the "action" happens (the character interaction, the uploading of fan response videos, the official chat). The producers of this series stated that they were not looking to take lonelygirl to television or to films, therefore this site is the major hub on the Internet. There are people who watch strictly on YouTube, but this serves no financial purpose for the series, really. Watching through Revver (or through the revver on this site) and clicking the ads at the end is where it's at for them.

I think I am done with responding to all this. I know what I see, how as I feel as a viewer, what frustrates me and what makes me happy. I began this thread with the honest intention of wanting to remain a loyal viewer. I did not begin this in a spirit of debate or accusations. It is not hard to begin a thread that says, "This sucks!" However, I chose not to do this. I instead want to give the benefit of the doubt to these young producers who created something quite different. However, every series is bound to stumble and fall at times. Fans will come and go. Demographics will change. And life still goes on.

Thank you to those who offered thoughtful and helpful responses. Don't think I am rude if I happen not to respond to these issues. I just don't have the energy to defend my ideas about something so trivial (in light of the event in the whole wide world, in my country, in my community and in my family, etc.).

Best wishes, all.
Languorous Lass
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, gogo: you have said some of the things I've been thinking, but more delicately and tactfully.

I suppose I could be called a Cynical Cindy (although if my parents had named me "Cindy," I would have changed it years ago). My level of frustration over the lack of any resolution to any of the story arcs has gotten unbearable.

I'm not going to announce "That's it -- I'm leaving," because it's likely that I'll keep looking in on LG15 and the forums. But being involved with this phenomenon has deteriorated to the point where I'm putting in far too much mental and emotional effort for far too little reward.
covedweller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny to me is that the people who are not playing the ARG are treating LG15 like it's an ARG.

When were we ever told we were supposed to solve things and that our research would pay off?

It's more like a comic book or episodic television show in that things play out over time but the bulk of it is a series of self-contained stories and story arcs.

Maybe LG15 needs more of those against this larger backdrop? As opposed to pushing forward the same larger story at a slower pace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: