Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanishing PMs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Vanishing PMs Reply with quote

So....I get an email with a timestamp of 5:30am or so saying I have a new PM here. I was asleep, of course, but several hours later I read the email, go to check my inbox...nope no new PM.

Now, I'm familiar with phpBB and I know that there are ways for people with the proper access to "manage" private messages. I even know how to go right into the sql data and "manage" information. Not that I would...but I know it can be done since I've set them up before for people because, as a hobby, I host several websites for friends and family.

I'm not saying that's what's happened here...but I just find it interesting.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen before. I think that its a server issue, because the missing PM turns up eventually.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it?? I've never seen it happen before, not on phpBB. I know that the copies of sent messages are pretty buggy, though.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the moderators (myself included) have access to the servers and could do this.
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK, I'm not saying that's what happened...it wasn't an accusation against anyone inparticular.
silvermoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had PM leave and come back as well. Just a glitch, I think. No one could possibly be interested in my boring ol' PMs, lol!
bethy
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If others are having it happen, that's good to know. I've never seen it happen on this particular software before...not vnaishing once they're in the inbox, that is. Sent message? Oh yeah...all the time...but not inbox ones.

(But..yeah.....anyone with server level access might be able to go right into the sql table and read, delete, move PMs on a whim. Although, a good server admin would make sure certain things are encrypted and would only venture in there to solve an issue not snoop. Let's just say guys...that no PM is really private if stored on another server like it is here. Chances are nobody's going to do anything at all...but it is possible for someone with the proper access.)
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some one might have just deleted it from their sent box.

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:
If others are having it happen, that's good to know. I've never seen it happen on this particular software before...not vnaishing once they're in the inbox, that is. Sent message? Oh yeah...all the time...but not inbox ones.

(But..yeah.....anyone with server level access might be able to go right into the sql table and read, delete, move PMs on a whim. Although, a good server admin would make sure certain things are encrypted and would only venture in there to solve an issue not snoop. Let's just say guys...that no PM is really private if stored on another server like it is here. Chances are nobody's going to do anything at all...but it is possible for someone with the proper access.)

Can I just say that I don't think your parathensized paragraph didn't seem to be in english to my technoligically challenged brain Laughing
lonelyelendi
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bethy wrote:

I got an email like that last night.
<marlasinger> i'll rape you!
<marlasinger> i mean
<marlasinger> damnit marla be smooth
stuart2004
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh the server eats my PMs a lot actually it happens mopst to me when my inbox reaches 100% capacity and I get a new before I can delete the old ones.. I have actually click on one and it go to an old one...when I click back to my inbox the new message is gone and my inbox is at 99% full

antagonist of the LG Defense Force
Luv2Skydive
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart2004 wrote:
ahh the server eats my PMs a lot actually it happens mopst to me when my inbox reaches 100% capacity and I get a new before I can delete the old ones.. I have actually click on one and it go to an old one...when I click back to my inbox the new message is gone and my inbox is at 99% full

Well, are you popular Mr. 100% Capacity? Wink
tiltingwindward
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethy, I frequently get two messages notifying me when I receive a PM...one when I first receive the PM, and one several hours later. However, no additional PM ever shows up in my inbox. Could that have happened?
Onewen
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quick question because I am new to this PMing on the forum...I have a couple of msgs in my Outbox (that I thought I sent)...they don't seem to be leaving, and I don't see a way to send them again...

Does anyone know if they WERE sent, but just sit in my Outbox for awhile? Or does "outbox" mean something different here than on email where it means "mail not yet sent"? Does that make sense? Embarassed

Thanks for any help!! Very Happy
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onewen wrote:
I have a quick question because I am new to this PMing on the forum...I have a couple of msgs in my Outbox (that I thought I sent)...they don't seem to be leaving, and I don't see a way to send them again...

Does anyone know if they WERE sent, but just sit in my Outbox for awhile? Or does "outbox" mean something different here than on email where it means "mail not yet sent"? Does that make sense? Embarassed

Thanks for any help!! Very Happy

Messages will sit in your Outbox until opened by the receiver. Then they will show up in your "Sent" folder. That's how you know it was read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: