Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's with the guns?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trainer101 wrote:
Luminous wrote:
Note: Marbella - "Crazy Guy" is the only person that has been shot conclusively in the LG15 story so far. The Jury is still out on Gemma. We really don't have enough evidence. Even the Creators have not confirmed she was shot.

How quickly we forget Bree's Dad. The shooting was witnessed by the characters and the Creators said on MixedMedia that Bree's dad is indeed dead.

You are absolutely right Trainer. Don't know how I overlooked that. I guess because the "Is he, isn't he" speculation went on for so long I finally stopped paying attention to it Wink

I am less offended by this incident - It was played as a tragedy - the kind all of us are faced with in life at one time or another. We have to learn how to face these things, and go beyond them to build our lives. It was a character building experience for Bree. The shooting wasn't used as a quick solution to a nasty problem.
Linc
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
Just to re-emphasize I'll quote again:

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
-Isaac Asimov

Yes, violence exists. Yes people use guns, and kill other people. And I chose not to invite this into my home as entertainment. Frankly, I just don't find it entertaining.

There are other, more intelligent solutions to having your life threatened, or protecting your property and people you love, and I for one, am far more interested in seeing these intelligent solutions played out. It makes for a much more interesting story. Guns provide lazy, cheap thrills. They get our adrenaline rushing, and that's about it.

This, I do have to take issue with.

Violence is, in political science terms, the far end of the spectrum when diplomacy breaks down in a conflict of interest.

As a filmmaker - and I know you weren't talking about this, but I do need to bring it up- the use of a gun is not a "cheap thrill." It's a logistical nightmare just to create one shot and one hit.

As with all things, moderation is the key. The use of violence is needed to show that it is there, that Damocles' Sword hanging over everyone's head. Bree's Dad being killed was the "start," essentially, of the LG15/Order story. Up until then, it was just Bree, Daniel and Jonas running away from a scary little Cult.

The kill is what brought it home and added weight to the entire story. Now when you see a member of the Order, you know that they are more than willing to cause damage to you and yours if that is what is required. No amount of posturing will ever do that, no matter how creative you get with it.

To consider violence a cheap thrill would be to say the same of pretty much, uh, everything Martin Scorsese has done. Out of all of them, The Departed is easily the most "mainstream," and it's an Oscar winner. (Arguing the merits of an Academy Award is for another time, but the point stands.)

There are plenty of more "intelligent solutions" to violence, if everything went to the most intelligent route possible, we would not have drama. And at the core of drama is diminished capacity, wherein characters do what is irrational due to a defect in their thinking. Whether it be biological, social or emotional pressure, they do this because they are human.

All of Shakespeare's works, all of the greatest Greek tragedies, all utilize violence as a distinct force. The death of Mercutio marks the biggest turn-around in a play. People don't get that the first half of Romeo and Juliet was effectively a comedy in those days; people were laughing and having a great time until that kill. And it shifted into one of the greatest tragic romance stories that we know.

Without that violence - and not to forget the wealth of violence that followed - could it have happened? I think not.

How about Oedipus Rex? Killed his own father, married his mother. Had he just banished his father, beaten him in checkers, would it have the same impact? No. How does that make it a cheap thrill?

I mean, I get that Quentin Tarantino ain't your thing, but that Asimov quote has to do with real violence, and real people. That sort of thing just does not apply when you're making drama.
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luminous wrote:
trainer101 wrote:
Luminous wrote:
Note: Marbella - "Crazy Guy" is the only person that has been shot conclusively in the LG15 story so far. The Jury is still out on Gemma. We really don't have enough evidence. Even the Creators have not confirmed she was shot.

How quickly we forget Bree's Dad. The shooting was witnessed by the characters and the Creators said on MixedMedia that Bree's dad is indeed dead.

You are absolutely right Trainer. Don't know how I overlooked that. I guess because the "Is he, isn't he" speculation went on for so long I finally stopped paying attention to it Wink

I am less offended by this incident - It was played as a tragedy - the kind all of us are faced with in life at one time or another. We have to learn how to face these things, and go beyond them to build our lives. It was a character building experience for Bree. The shooting wasn't used as a quick solution to a nasty problem.

I had forgotten about "dad" also. Too much time in Facility J, I guess. I do agree that this latest use of weaponry seemed like an easy shortcut. I would have preferred learning something through the interrogations before an escape was made.
Musique
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
Linc wrote:
So, where in past vids have they been appropriate, and where is it stretching? It would probably be beneficial for everyone considering this particular prop to get some examples.

I think it really depends on what audience you are trying to attract. LG15 is PG-13 but that doesn't mean fan creations have to be. It seems like where the Creators have drawn the line is that you can shoot guns but not actually show the shooting by keeping it obscured or off screen and by not showing a body.

My personal opinion is that shootings and kills in general should be reserved for high stakes moments otherwise it dulls the impact. ex: Star Trek red shirts.

Absolutely correct, Immo. I totally agree.
Marbella
Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Trainer is correct. Only Bree's Dad and someone chasing Bree in the desert are confirmed dead. No guns were seen. We saw a scope tracking Gemma, but we have no conclusive evidence of her death or continued life.

That WAS what I intended!!

Guns are a part of life. The media reflects reality, like a mirror. I realize not everyone will agree with me. Some believe it goes the other way around. That's OK. We don't know for sure, so it's all opinions.. and we know what opinions are like..

Everyone's got 'em!!!
*Daniel's Fan Club Founder
http://www.youtube.com/whitetigerdream
*My Books: http://www.laurapaxton.com/borderline.html
Killthesmiley
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Trainer is correct. Only Bree's Dad and someone chasing Bree in the desert are confirmed dead. No guns were seen. We saw a scope tracking Gemma, but we have no conclusive evidence of her death or continued life.

comepletely off topic...

but gemma is confirmed dead. OpAphid confirmed it with RIP Gemma in braille at the beginning of a video

YOU: Who does that KTS think she is? Total bitch!

ME: I think I'm you, only better.

~Kelly, KMurr, and Kellylen <3~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luminous
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killthesmiley wrote:
Quote:

comepletely off topic...

but gemma is confirmed dead. OpAphid confirmed it with RIP Gemma in braille at the beginning of a video

The Creator's refused to confirm that two weeks ago on Mixed Media. They were asked very directly what happened to Gemma, and they responded (after stuttering a bit, lol) that they don't know. And I'm not going to take Oppy's word for anything. Twisted Evil
Suspiciously Absent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns and bombs are limited in their usefulness. Anyone who watches the news knows this. To combat the Order of Denderah they must embrace all aspects of the war they are thrust into.

Those who use guns against the Order must remember that the Watchers have no qualms with responding in kind. Any violence against them will likely end badly for the perpetrator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> In Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: