Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The two groups
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: The two groups Reply with quote

It seems to me we have two groups of people posting here. Group number one is willing to wait and see how the story unfolds. Group number two is growing impatient and wants to know all about the Order, Tachyon, etc, right now.

I have a few questions for groups two-ers. Are you thinking it's time for the story to end? Would you be satisfied if everything were revealed in the next, say, five videos? Once these things were revealed, where would you go from there? Or would you be contented that the story had played itself out, and that it had reached it's conclusion with all your questions answered?

Just curious, not throwing stones at anyone.
Shout outs to my beautiful daughter badkittyx1505, Aithne, and Lurker.
charliebrown
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if you can say I am a group two-er, I dont really think I am but personally I think every story has to run its coarse.
It bugs me when a really good show will reach the top of the charts, but after it runs it coarse it keeps on going and slowly less people watch and the storyline fails causing it to eventually be canceled. I'm not saying this is happening to LG15 but I'm saying I don't want it to happen. I love Lonelygirl15 and spend hours daily reading through the sight looking for any clue and just talking about the show and such. I would be sad if the show ended any time soon, but if the LG15 has another 50 videos of Bree and Daniel in hiding and fighting people are gonna get bored.
Ziola
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Charlie.

(dear god, I feel like Farrah again Laughing )
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, you make a good point.

I loved (and still love) Six Feet Under. However, I think that it went on too long; the last season (5) could have been combined with four, and there would have a lot of happy fans, sad to see the show go, but still satisfied. Instead, they wore it out, and a lot of fans were really bored or upset with seasons four and five.

So you're right. There can be too much of a good thing.

I'm a group one-er, but if we still know only as much as we know now two months down the line, I may switch groups. Laughing
charliebrown
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziola wrote:
Well said Charlie.

(dear god, I feel like Farrah again Laughing )

lol that took me a minute to get
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
There can be too much of a good thing.

That's the problem, really. After so long it stops being a good thing.

That's why I've always been what probably everyone else on the forum here would call a member of Group 2. I think something should have a definite end in mind from the start and should make sure it spends it's time getting there in consistently meaningful steps (think of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie; fun as hell, lovable characters even among the bad guys, yet it never wasted its time). That way it ends while it's still good. I think good stories are all the better for having an ending.

That's why I can't watch soap operas or read most comic books even when there are characters or plots that I like or find intriguing. I know there won't ever be an ending, just an endless series of often random developments, many of which will occur for no other reason than to keep things going. Media like that aren't the place to go to be satisfied.

LG15 should aspire to be the first Pirates movie, not the second.
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliebrown wrote:
I dont know if you can say I am a group two-er, I dont really think I am but personally I think every story has to run its coarse.
It bugs me when a really good show will reach the top of the charts, but after it runs it coarse it keeps on going and slowly less people watch and the storyline fails causing it to eventually be canceled. .

Kind of like Gilmore Girls? Granted that was really because the writers changed, and the new writing just leaves a lot to be desired. Either way, I think they should have ended the show when the original writers quit, not dragged it out to squeeze as much out of its intial success as possible. I used to absolutely love that show-- the wit, the obscure musical/literary references, the sheer speed of it all-- and now it's just... blah.

Aaaanyway...
longlostposter
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker="l wrote:

That's why I can't watch soap operas
I can't watch them either. They just grate on my nerves.

I've heard a lot about how disappointing the ending of the second movie was...what happened? Did they go all M. Night, or what?
charliebrown
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
charliebrown wrote:
It bugs me when a really good show will reach the top of the charts, but after it runs it coarse it keeps on going and slowly less people watch and the storyline fails causing it to eventually be canceled. .

Kind of like Gilmore Girls? Granted that was really because the writers changed, and the new writing just leaves a lot to be desired. Either way, I think they should have ended the show when the original writers quit, not dragged it out to squeeze as much out of its intial success as possible. I used to absolutely love that show-- the wit, the obscure musical/literary references, the sheer speed of it all-- and now it's just... blah.

Aaaanyway...

Exactly!!! That is actually one of the show i based my opinion on. The show was doing wonderful in ratings and I was addicted to season 1-5 but after that I got tired of it. The show isnt as good as it use to be now. This is either the last season or it will get cancelled.
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
Charlie, you make a good point.

I loved (and still love) Six Feet Under. However, I think that it went on too long; the last season (5) could have been combined with four, and there would have a lot of happy fans, sad to see the show go, but still satisfied. Instead, they wore it out, and a lot of fans were really bored or upset with seasons four and five.

So you're right. There can be too much of a good thing.

I'm a group one-er, but if we still know only as much as we know now two months down the line, I may switch groups. Laughing

Also, arrested development got weaker and weaker. That and six feet under used to be two of my favorite shows.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longlostposter wrote:
Lurker="l wrote:

That's why I can't watch soap operas
I can't watch them either. They just grate on my nerves.

I've heard a lot about how disappointing the ending of the second movie was...what happened? Did they go all M. Night, or what?

Where to start with what went wrong...

The entire movie felt unnecessary, and it seemed like most of the characterization of the first was forgotten. Some characters displayed some completely out of character behavior. To be honest, it seemed like it was a sequel only in that it used the same title, the same actors, and characters who at least looked like the ones in the first movie.

Many of the scenes in the film were either pointless to the overall plot, redundant (three very similar giant squid attacks), or were drawn out much longer than they had to be. Really, whatever they have planned for the third movie could have been included in the second if they had just remembered there was a story to tell (that didn't need to be told anyway).

I realize I'm taking a while to answer your question, but it's just because there was so much wrong with Pirates 2.

By the time the movie's over, you want it to be over. Long story short, the second one was an inflated, irrelevant, unnecessary experiment in long-winded, irrelevant, unnecesary scenes, all for the sake of "justifying" the "need" for a third film to "complete" something that was already finished with the first one.

Oh, and the ending was a cliffhanger that's supposed to lead into the third film - a cliffhanger involving mortality they could have actually reached within an hour if they'd been trying (and which will obviously be reversed in the third, as that's the main premise for the third one).
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually planned on making a second Pirates movie all along, which is kind of lame to begin with--- the subheader "Curse of the black pearl" was indicative of that.

It's true though, the second one was awful-- though I think that's partially because the first Pirates movie went well beyond most people's expectations. It could have been really cheesy or childish with it's CGI stuff and the fact that it's Disney, but it was surprisingly witty, well-paced, and really original. They should have quit while they were way ahead-- instead, the second one not only had a weak storyline, it recycled joke after joke after joke from the first one. Rolling Eyes Yech.
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkoLady wrote:
They actually planned on making a second Pirates movie all along, which is kind of lame to begin with--- the subheader "Curse of the black pearl" was indicative of that.

I'm actually not convinced they'd planned on a second movie from the start (in the sense that there was a story worked out before the first film ever hit theatres and they intended to run with it). Especially since the first one ended with no cliffhangers or loose ends that needed to be tied up. The farewell shots of everybody even felt like closure.

More than likely what happened is they realized that it had a potential for box office success, which I'm guessing in their minds meant "If it does well we can make a half-assed sequel with none of the heart, charm, and effort of the original - but you bet we're going to throw more special effects in, haha - and then rake in lots of extra money on the name alone. Nevermind that we're going to betray the trust of countless moviegoers and destroy the very pirate franchise we're about to revive."

PinkoLady wrote:
It's true though, the second one was awful-- though I think that's partially because the first Pirates movie went well beyond most people's expectations. It could have been really cheesy or childish with it's CGI stuff and the fact that it's Disney, but it was surprisingly witty, well-paced, and really original. They should have quit while they were way ahead-- instead, the second one not only had a weak storyline, it recycled joke after joke after joke from the first one. Rolling Eyes Yech.

Complete agreement with all of that. It was like they weren't even trying to come up with new material.

But I have to say, I think the sequel would have been bad no matter how high expectations were after the first one. It just wasn't a good movie in my opinion, even on its own (though I realize it's impossible to know for sure what I would have thought of it without seeing Curse of the Black Pearl first).
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually read somewhere that they had planned a sequal, but altered it a good deal with the success of the first one-- which makes it potentially even worse. Like "this joke was a hit... and this one, and this one! We'll use them ALL AGAIN!" Disney loves their sequels. Rolling Eyes

It's true, it would have been bad either way. I just meant that the first one was just so surprisingly good that it sucked even harder that the first one was lame.
PinkoLady
Devoted Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, they literally have sequels for everything. EVERYTHING.

Classic fairytales-- with shitty sequels! Eesh. Not that the Disney interpretation wasn't bastardized in the first place-- the sequels just made it so much worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: