Lonelygirl15 Forum Index Lonelygirl15
Forum to post messages about Bree and Danielbeast

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon/Not Canon List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I also understand immortal1's concern. I thought about BK's response.

Why not have a third option? Break the list into three parts: Confirmed canon, not-canon, and nobody knows?

If the list were in three categories, then serious contributors who seem to be interested in becomming canon could go into the "nobody knows" category. That way, it would keep the mystery for those who wish to decide for themselves, and more people wishing to be made canon would feel motivated to contribute.
TJ Marsh
Thor's Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
I think I also understand immortal1's concern. I thought about BK's response.

Why not have a third option? Break the list into three parts: Confirmed canon, not-canon, and nobody knows?

If the list were in three categories, then serious contributors who seem to be interested in becomming canon could go into the "nobody knows" category. That way, it would keep the mystery for those who wish to decide for themselves, and more people wishing to be made canon would feel motivated to contribute.

I Agree on this list Smile
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
I don't like this idea. I think it's ironic that people complain that it's too long between vids when they refuse to watch fan made vids that are no more than 2 minutes each because they don't want to concern themselves with non canon vids.

Being placed on a non canon list would essentially tell people it's ok to ignore those vids. I realize it seems more and more fan vids are popping up and it's hard to keep track of them, nevermind decide which ones to follow. It's my understanding that in the future they will be presented in a way that does make that decision easier. The Creators had said there would be YouTube style character profiles- maybe there will be a field that states canon/non canon although I hope we can come up with better terminology that isn't so black and white.

I suggest we hold off and refer people to the lgpedia until then.

I don't know if this is really the case. When I wanted to play new games after CIW I viewed a lot of fic until I found the games I liked. Once I had a solid game that took up my energy I stopped watching all game based fan-fic. Other than that I only watch parody fan-fic anyway and have never paid attention to the side by side story tellers. I think this will be common, people do or don't watch for reasons other than canon annointment. imo ymmv
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:
immortal1 wrote:
I don't like this idea. I think it's ironic that people complain that it's too long between vids when they refuse to watch fan made vids that are no more than 2 minutes each because they don't want to concern themselves with non canon vids.

I understand your point, but I hope it wouldn't stop people from watching videos if they understand what they are...

The problem I see is when someone posts a thread in the Plot Discussion or Video area about, say, itscassie or Dr. Immant. We move it and tell them it's not canon, and they say "how do I know that?" or "why did you move it? I think it's canon!" Similar to the forum rules and guidelines, I think it would help to be able to point them to a place where they have that information.

Maybe it would be all about how we present this information...

Your assuming people will check a list before posting. There is a section called Cassie is Watching & Cassie Spin-offs and people still post itscassie topics elsewhere. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

I know now, especially with the Creators saying all show related vids will appear on the left column that there is a certain amount of people who will never check the right column now. And maybe those people who would check a list are the types of viewers who would never watch fan vids in the first place.

I'm just frustrated that people use canon vs non-canon as their determining criteria in deciding what to watch. Nikki B saves the day. After her last video she is clearly neither canon nor non canon but firmly in the middle. So the problem I'm having is not that there is a list but the terms canon and non canon. Why not call lg15 produced vids canon catergorize everything else as comedy, spinoff, commenter, ARG etc. That's a long time coming and I think is going to happen anyway when the fan vid profiles go live. Clearly anything labeled something other than canon would be assumed not canon without the negative label.
immortal1
Enthusiastic Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:
immortal1 wrote:

Being placed on a non canon list would essentially tell people it's ok to ignore those vids. I realize it seems more and more fan vids are popping up and it's hard to keep track of them, nevermind decide which ones to follow. It's my understanding that in the future they will be presented in a way that does make that decision easier. The Creators had said there would be YouTube style character profiles- maybe there will be a field that states canon/non canon although I hope we can come up with better terminology that isn't so black and white.

I suggest we hold off and refer people to the lgpedia until then.

I don't know if this is really the case. When I wanted to play new games after CIW I viewed a lot of fic until I found the games I liked. Once I had a solid game that took up my energy I stopped watching all game based fan-fic. Other than that I only watch parody fan-fic anyway and have never paid attention to the side by side story tellers. I think this will be common, people do or don't watch for reasons other than canon annointment. imo ymmv

I don't know about games. I would think it's apples and oranges. Playing a game takes significantly more time than watching side by side stories. You watch Nikki B and your next 2 minutes can be spent watching Xeniph. You watch deehteraew and you can be spending a significant amount of time decoding. What I do know is that whether it be chat or in the forums people aren't shy about saying the reason they don't watch fan vids is because they are not canon.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

immortal1 wrote:
Clearly anything labeled something other than canon would be assumed not canon without the negative label.

Do you feel applying "non-canon" is a negative label? That's interesting.

To Apo's point, I don't think there are three categories. Perhaps the two are "confirmed canon" and "unconfirmed". That leaves open the door that any of these can be considered canon, so you should probably watch them all, but currently they are not canon. Would this avoid a negative label?
trainer101
Moderator Manager

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to agree with immortal1. "Non-canon" as a designation would definitely cut the number of views that a poster receives. That, in-turn would discourage viewers from becoming participants, thus stifling the interactivity the Creators have encouraged. I think the view numbers bear this out. Known non-canon vids receive far less views than 'possible' canon vids.

In fact, I think OpAphid should never have been "formally" announced as canon. It would have been far more exciting to see the stories merge on screen (with Op's "Babysitting" video) then the re-formating of the forum could have taken place with the release of the merged video storyline. This place would have really been buzzing with excitement.

Part of the fun is the speculation. Just like the early days of LG15 when no one knew for sure whether the vlogs were authentic or performed (notice I didn't say "fake").

Last edited by trainer101 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Misty
Lonely Fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerlilylynn wrote:
Misty wrote:
I think it would be great if someone would map out the Breeverse, and how the different Vloggers relate to each other.

I would also like to see the various Vlogs being catagorized as:

1) originating with LG15 team
2) created by others by given canon status by LG15 team
3) not cannonized to date but consistant with the official breeverse
4) outside the Breeverse, commenting on it from a real world POV
5) spoofing the Breeverse
6) contradictory to the Breeverse but attempting to be part of it.

But, I think though the LGPedia would be a better place than the forum for that

A+++ Would agree again

Though a sticky over here either reproducing or redirecting would go well with that.

Are you volunteering Tigerlillylynn???
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty wrote:
tigerlilylynn wrote:
Misty wrote:
I think it would be great if someone would map out the Breeverse, and how the different Vloggers relate to each other.

I would also like to see the various Vlogs being catagorized as:

1) originating with LG15 team
2) created by others by given canon status by LG15 team
3) not cannonized to date but consistant with the official breeverse
4) outside the Breeverse, commenting on it from a real world POV
5) spoofing the Breeverse
6) contradictory to the Breeverse but attempting to be part of it.

But, I think though the LGPedia would be a better place than the forum for that

A+++ Would agree again

Though a sticky over here either reproducing or redirecting would go well with that.

Are you volunteering Tigerlillylynn???

*has no power outside of her own sandbox* V_V

I like BK's change of term. We can call everything not 100% creator stamped "unconfirmed" thus keeping the intrigue. We can then say, "get thine spinoff thread to yon "fan-fic and spin-off" board".
ApotheosisAZ
The Order of Denderah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken Kid wrote:

To Apo's point, I don't think there are three categories. Perhaps the two are "confirmed canon" and "unconfirmed". That leaves open the door that any of these can be considered canon, so you should probably watch them all, but currently they are not canon. Would this avoid a negative label?

I didn't even think of that! Naturally, having these confirmed/unconfirmed designations would be much more pleasant.

However, I was kind of hoping that my fan contributions would be listed in an area with the words "Definitely not canon," in all caps and using bright red lettering.
tigerlilylynn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:
Broken Kid wrote:

I didn't even think of that! Naturally, having these confirmed/unconfirmed designations would be much more pleasant.

However, I was kind of hoping that my fan contributions would be listed in an area with the words "Definitely not canon," in all caps and using bright red lettering.

Actually, me too. I get sooo many comments asking for the future story line and such. I'm not in on it! >_<
HyeMew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever happened to the ambiguous mystery? I thought the Creators wanted us to be unsure about who was canon and who wasn't?
And frankly that mystery is utterly destroyed if we base it on who has the best camera resolution and quality. For all we know they could film something to look like it's just fanfic but it's canon. They wanted mystery after all.
There are some things like Apo we know are fanfic, yes. And things like NikkiB we know is friendfic but not canon. And then there are other things we just can't be sure about. Having a list might be helpful if we know for certain but in other cases I dunno.
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyeMew wrote:
whatever happened to the ambiguous mystery? I thought the Creators wanted us to be unsure about who was canon and who wasn't?

I think that only goes so far. When it begins to get in the way of understanding the story (like when a lot of viewers had no idea they should be watching OpAphid and Tachyon's videos), it really needs to be in black and white.
Broken Kid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApotheosisAZ wrote:

I'm not so sure of that! I'm on to you, Apo! Shocked
JayHank
Casual Observer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my question:

1) Nikki Bower is "just fanfic."
2) But she has footage of Amanda Goodfried in her house for her latest video.
3) So can I stalk Amanda Goodfried to make a video of Lucy too. Hey, I want to make "just fanfic" like Nikki!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lonelygirl15 Forum Index -> Concerns and Complaints All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: